CONWAY, N.H. (CBS/AP) — A 15-year-old New Hampshire girl who was missing for nine months is back with her family, but many questions about her disappearance remain unanswered.

Abigail Hernandez was reunited with her family on Sunday evening, Attorney General Joseph Foster announced Monday.

Photo of clothing released in Abigail Hernandez case. (Photo from NH AG)

Photo of clothing released in Abigail Hernandez case. (Photo from NH AG)

Police are asking the public for help in the investigation. They are asking that if anyone saw Abigail Hernandez or a female wearing a gray striped sweater, black pants and a camouflage drawstring bag in the area of North South Road in Conway, Sunday evening between 10:00 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. to contact the State Police.

Photo of drawstring bag in Abigail Hernandez investigation. (NH AG photo)

Photo of drawstring bag in Abigail Hernandez investigation. (NH AG photo)

Authorities say the family has asked for privacy. Abigail’s mother, Zenya Hernandez, told authorities Monday “today we are the happiest people on earth.”

Police said Abigail was last seen Oct. 9 after leaving Kennett High School in Conway. Investigators said she walked her normal route toward her house and sent several texts between 2:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. But she never made it home.

Police did reveal several months ago that she had written home to her mother. When the letter surfaced, FBI Special Agent In Charge Kieran Ramsey said there was the possibility that Abigail had run away but that someone could still be coercing her into staying away from home.

“The long and short of it is, quite honestly, we are just happy that she’s home safe and sound right now,” Ramsey said Monday. He declined to discuss specifics of the investigation.

In a brief statement, Foster said the criminal investigation in Abigail’s disappearance will continue. Jane Young, chief of the attorney general’s criminal bureau, said the case required the kind of full-scale investigation that was launched.

“We said all along, this was a child who was missing and we marshalled all our resources and we can gratefully say that she was able to be reunited with her family,” Young said.

After Abigail disappeared, police initially said she made it home, but later said she hadn’t. Police also at first said she made a call about 6:30 p.m. that day but later said that, too, was wrong.

After she vanished, police consistently said they have no evidence to suggest anything suspicious and were treating her disappearance as a missing-person’s case.

The disappearance rattled the town of 2,300 residents in Mount Washington Valley, who were reminded of the still-unsolved killing of another young girl from rural New Hampshire three years ago: 11-year-old Celina Cass disappeared from her West Stewartstown home in July 2011, and her body was recovered a week later in the Connecticut River.

In Conway, rescuers fanned out for days over the heavily forested terrain that surrounds the townhouse where Hernandez lives with her mother. Police also searched by air, stopped traffic and handed out missing posters and used boats on the Saco River and Pudding Pond.

(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)


Comments (2)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s