NEWwbztv-small wbz-am-small 985-small mytv38web2

Local

Warrant: Police Believe Aaron Hernandez May Have Been Shooter In 2012 South End Murders

By Pat Eaton-Robb, Associated Press
View Comments

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

Sports Fan Insider

Keep up with your favorite teams and athletes with daily updates.
Sign Up

BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) — Boston police have been investigating whether jailed former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez may have been the gunman in a 2012 double slaying, according to a search warrant request released Thursday.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030′s Bernice Corpuz reports

Hernandez, who is awaiting trial on murder charges in a 2013 shooting near his home, was seen on surveillance footage in the same nightclub as the victims on the night of the attack in Boston’s South End, authorities have said.

Read: Warrant.pdf

But newly released documents in Connecticut confirm for the first time that police suspect Hernandez could have carried out the shooting.

No charges have been filed in the deaths of Daniel Jorge Correia de Abreu and Safiro Teixeira Furtado, who were killed on July 16, 2012, when somebody inside an SUV opened fire on their car. A third person was shot but survived.

Two people were killed in this shooting in the South End, July 16, 2012.

Two people were killed in this shooting in the South End, July 16, 2012.

A June 28 police affidavit and searched warrant application released by Superior Court in Bristol, Conn., says there is probable cause to believe that Hernandez was driving the vehicle used in the shooting and “may have been the shooter.”

The affidavit was filed as police sought to search an SUV they say was involved in the shooting and was found at Hernandez’s uncle’s home in Bristol, where Hernandez was raised. The SUV had been given to Hernandez by a Rhode Island company in exchange for participating in promotional activities, according to court filings.

Authorities found the SUV while investigating the slaying of Odin Lloyd, a semi-professional football player whose body was found June 17 near Hernandez’s North Attleborough, Mass., home. Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to murder in that case.

A lawyer for Hernandez did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus