Abby Hernandez Speaks Out For First Time Since Returning Home
NORTH CONWAY, NH (CBS) – Abby Hernandez is speaking out for the first time about the nine months she was missing.
On Thursday she visited the office of the Conway Daily Sun, her hometown newspaper, to thank everyone for their support. She told reporters she often saw her own photo in the paper with a graphic marking the number of days she had been missing and it gave her hope.
She told the staff she’s feeling a lot better every day.
Hernandez disappeared last October and returned home July 20. Nathaniel Kibby of Gorham, New Hampshire has been charged with kidnapping her and is being held on $1 million bail.
Abby, and her mother Zenya, tell the Sun they don’t want to be treated as victims. “I’d just like to be treated like a normal person,” Abby told the paper.
She also says she wants to go horseback riding, something she loved as a child.
MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON