Weather Alert Sunday/Monday: Snow, Wintry Mix | Forecast | BlogWeather App

Jack Williams Changes Role On WBZ-TV

BOSTON (CBS) – Veteran Boston TV anchor Jack Williams announced Tuesday he will no longer anchor the 11 p.m. news at WBZ, in order to spend more time at home with his wife.

Williams, 68, has been with WBZ-TV for 37 years. He’s not retiring; he will continue co-anchoring the 6 p.m. newscast with Lisa Hughes.

“This was my idea,” Williams told CBSBoston.com. “They told me I can work as long as I want. They’ve been very gracious to me.”

Williams will also continue his work on Wednesday’s Child, which he created in 1981. The weekly segment features a special needs child who is in search of a permanent home.

The Jack Williams Endowment for Wednesday’s Child ensures continued financial support for special needs adoption.

Each year he and his wife Marci give $330,000 in grants to agencies and group homes helping special needs children find adoptive homes.

Williams says he’s been working nights most of his life, most of them on television since 1968.

“I just feel very lucky,” he said. “But it’s a grueling schedule.”

He and Marci have been thinking about the move to a lighter schedule for about a year.

Now they’ll be able to spend more time together in the evening.

“It’s all good,” Williams said.

Jonathan Elias will take over the co-anchoring duties at 11 p.m. with Lisa Hughes.

The new schedule starts next week.

Comments

1. Jaygee says:

Good move by Jack. He deserves nights off after all of these years as one of the best in Boston. The good thing here is that viewers of BZ will still have a real pro in his replacement. Mr. Elias has been totally professional, caring and very easy to watch since day 1 in Boston. Good luck to both of them.

2. gramps says:

37 years, without a hitch…..

1. Tony Knight says:

Awesome guy! He is why I switched from Channel 5

3. mmarcia says:

Congrats on your semi-retirement. I used to watch him on Channel 4 when I lived in the Boston area. I admire his commitment to Wednesday’s Child.

4. Robert Walsh says:

I want Sera Coingi, days, nights, and weekends!

5. tsal-kv says:

Best wishes and well deserved time at home. Just hearing your name and remembering the many years I have watched you brings a smile!

6. P. A. Kelly says:

We will miss you at 11 PM but you have certainly put in your time and deserve some off time. But we (the public) aren’t through with you yet!. J. Elias is an excellent choice for your replacement, very personable, just like you!

7. Adriane Gilder says:

Congratulations, Jack. Few news specialists can say they have been with one station for so many years and be at the top of his/her game. You are a truly special man who has devoted his professional life to integrity and honesty and be in our homes daily. You are an extra special kind of speciality. I bet Jon will appreciate that plaid jacket. Bless your heart.

8. JohnC says:

Jack is “The best of Boston”. I will miss him at 11, but I understand his wishes and I wish him the best.

9. Mary James says:

Jack. You will be missed. You are one of the finest broadcaster and WBZ will miss you. It is good to know that you will be on 6PM with Lisa Hughes. Your wife Marcy will be happy to have you home with her. Best of Luck.

10. Janet Zade says:

Great news for Marci and Jack. What a well informed pro! I hope he will be willing to stay an occasional night when institutional knowledge wuld be an asset!

11. Edward Ellis says:

Love ya Jack !

12. karen in ny says:

jack, you are a class act. 4 years ago i had to move back to ny to help care for my dad (alzheimer’s). one of the stations down here has a wednesday’s child segment and i often think (i know where this got its start). you have outlasted a number of your colleagues. i’m glad you and marci will be able to spend more time together. mom regrets the things she and dad didn’t get to do. enjoy your time, and thanks for many good memories.

13. Patty says:

Jack, it’s a good move for you and your wife. Family is important. BUT you will be missed! I sometimes don’t make it home from work to watch the 6:00 pm news and look forward to seeing you at 11:00. NOW I’ll have to make sure I’m home by 6:00. Gonna talk with the boss tomorrow!! Enjoy your time at home, miss you already.

14. Moira Murphy says:

Oh we’re really going to miss Jack. He’s definitely the best! So glad he’ll continue on the 6 o’clock news. but I can understand his decision…Enjoy the new schedule Jack!

15. Sarah Forbes says:

I’ve been watching Jack since the beginning. I knew he would eventually retire, thankfully he is doing it in increments. I couldn’t bear to go cold turkey!!

Enjoy your nights off, Jack.

16. Nancy says:

Good Luck Jack….

17. FireGuyFrank says:

What does Marci think about this? LOL

Jack, I had the pleasure of meeting you in 1981 when my Broadcast Journalism class visited WBZ. You are a very nice guy. It’s no wonder Channel 4 wants you around.

BTW, WBZ fans, if you are wondering who else I met in that field trip, go back and see if you remember… Lou Tilly was sports anchor that night (Bob Lobel was off); I met Joyce Kulhawick and Bruce Schweogler! (My apologies for any misspellings.)

18. Eleanor G, Boston MA says:

We have watched Jack Williams on the 6 and 11 news (when we are home) for years! Jack, you are like a friend of the family and a part of our daily routine when we are news watching! We will certainly miss seeing you at 11pm….but
    hope you enjoy this time with your wife. You gave your viewers many years of quality viewing…thank you and God bless.

19. John says:

There is no one like Jack Williams. He is a true gentleman and professional in every way. There is no one better. All the best to Jack and his family. Enjoy your time with your family.

20. stephen towne says:

i remember jack williams growing up as a kid in wayland when i used to watch wbz news.He was a great newsman and professional..Enjoy your time with wife and family

21. 1stackmack says:

good for jack.he’s the only local news guy ( that l know of) to stay with one station.through the good times ie the liz walker,shwegler,lobel years. to the bad times,the CBS 4 days.and also good for the 10 o’clock news cause when kate and todd are together,its almost comedy gold sometimes.

22. glen morrison says:

Jack, enjoy your nights you deserve it. We will still watch you at 6. Good luck to Jonathan…good choice. You will always be the best anchor in Boston!

23. Sarah Forbes says:

Jack – I’ve always loved your comments after stories. You had an amusing trio tonight with the cat, pink slime and arsenic.

I’ll really miss your sense of humor.

24. Len says:

Jack Williams is Boston news! You will always be the best anchor in Boston. When you think of Boston News, I think of WBZ and Jack Williams.