Public Invited To Celebration Of Dave Maynard’s Life

BOSTON (CBS) – The family of longtime WBZ Radio and TV personality Dave Maynard is inviting the public to a celebration of his life today.

A celebratory mass will be held Wednesday February 29 at Saint Cecilia’s Parish on Belvidere Street in the Back Bay at 11 a.m.

Listeners, co-workers and well-wishers are all welcome to pay their last respects.

The veteran Boston broadcaster and member of the Massachusetts Broadcasters Hall of Fame, passed away February 9 in Citrus Hills, Florida after a long fight with Parkinson’s Disease.

Listen: Nightside Remembers Dave Maynard

Donations may be made his memory to the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation.

If you would like to send a note to his family, please send it to:

Mike Maynard

69 Summit Avenue

Winthrop, MA 02152

Comments

1. susan says:

I remember helping out at the outside event I think a farmer’s market 27 years ago, the Company I worked for was doing the food for the event. Dave did not like breakfast much and saw that we were serving Italian sausage in the after noon and asked if he could have one for breakfast. I had cooked about 5 cases of eggs that day so doing the sausage was a nice break. He was so excited and even talked about it the next day on his show. He was such a nice man and had an amazing career and raised an unbelievable amounts of money for charity, he will be missed .

2. My_Penny says:

Dave Maynard, yes a great man, Loved listening to him on WBZ over the years and community auditions too.

3. Michael Lillian says:

HIS SUPPORT FOR ” THE SWIM FOR SIGHT” AND THE MANY OTHER CHARITIES WILL NEVER BE FORGETTEN. ALSO I KNEW DAVE MAYNARD AND WHEN I WAS IN SEVENTH GRADE I ARRANGED A CLASS TRIP TO WBZ AND WHEN WE CAME TO THE RADIO STUDIO DURING AN AIRCHECK HE DEDICATED “SUNDAY WILL NEVER BE THE SAME” BY SPANKY AND OUR GANG.

4. Don C says:

My fondest memories of Dave where he many Sunday mornings when he would give good and bad talent a chance to make it on Star of the Day, the original American Idol. While we all cringed at some of the voices and dances, we sometimes discovered a diamond in the rough. And don’t forget, he made Irish Step Dancers a Massachusetts institution by having all ages and abilities perform. It’s not often that a TV show brings back the Sunday smells of pancakes and coffee but Dave and his show certainly will be missed. My father died of Parkinson’s, and we realize what a long and hard battle he and his family fought. He will be missed.

5. Susan says:

My childhood is filled with happy echoes of “Star of the day! Who will it be?!” Great memories of a great man.

6. Tricia M says:

I remember being so impressed that Dave Maynard would do everything… he was a radio personality, he was on TV and he could even sing! There didn’t seem to be anything this man could do….and he did it all well.

Deepest sympathy to his family and thank you for sharing him with us in the public for so long. Wonderful memories of a great man!

He’s our “star of the day!”

7. Brad Creamer says:

I was the overnight announcer at a long gone FM station over on the waterfront. On occasion Dave would be in the remote studio in our neck of the woods. I’d always stand outside with something from our station – just to let him know he was in our neighborhood! He’d always invite me in for a chat. One of my fondest memories was when Dave, Gary and Gil would have their trivia contests. A question to Dave one day was; “Who is the patron saint of radio broadcasters?” He answered with a question in his voice – “Bob Segal?” Bob was the lawyer for AFTRA who negotiated our contracts. I was headed home on Storrow Drive and almost went off the road! Dave was a wonderful announcer but an even greater person…definitely – the Star Of The Day. Rest in peace big guy.