Longtime WBZ Host Dave Maynard Dies

BOSTON (CBS) – Longtime WBZ host Dave Maynard died Thursday in Citrus Hills, Florida, after a long battle with Parkinson’s disease.

He was 82 years old.

Maynard was a fixture in Boston television and radio for 48 years. He began his career in 1952 at WHIL radio [now WXKS] and then moved on to WORL radio, working as a rock ‘n’ roll disc jockey at both stations.

In 1965 he began hosting Community Auditions, a talent showcase that ran on WBZ-TV for 21 years and highlighted amateur Boston talent.

WBZ Remembers Maynard

In 1979 he began doing talk radio on the night shift from 12 A.M. to 5 A.M. One of Maynard’s most memorable on-air moments was one summer night when he kept a suicidal caller on the air for over an hour, saving the man’s life by tracking down his whereabouts.

maynard2 Longtime WBZ Host Dave Maynard Dies

Dave Maynard

One year later, Maynard was offered the position of WBZ radio’s morning man taking over for Carl deSuze who moved to the afternoon shift.

Peter Casey, Director of Programming for WBZ NewsRadio 1030 released the following statement:

“All of New England and the WBZ family has lost a radio icon and a treasured friend today. Dave Maynard ruled the airways and owned a special place in our hearts for many years. He was a Hall of Fame caliber broadcaster from the very first day here at WBZ. Generations of broadcasters learned how to be a communicator, entertainer, and friend from Dave Maynard. He was a pioneer at using the power of his voice and his radio program to raise money for worthy causes here in New England and set the standard on how to help his neighbors by being a friend on the radio.”

Mike Maynard on his father’s legacy

Maynard in the Morning, was number one for all of its eleven-year run.

During this time he also appeared on “Evening Magazine” as their resident chef and was the originator of “The Phantom Gourmet” radio program. Maynard also wrote three cookbooks.

The first Dave Maynard Tried and True Secret Family Recipe Late Night Cook Book was a compilation of his late night listener’s secret recipes.

Dave once said of the show, “I loved the rapport that I had with my listeners. Many became like family. The show was always full of surprises. Some mornings I’d sing along with Olga or banter with Weldon. Granny Brown always had something to say as well as Genarosa. I was some 44 years at WBZ. Think of that, almost 50 years in one market and I didn’t even know where the bodies were buried!”

Classic “Maynard In The Morning” Spot

On December 1, 1983, Mayor Kevin White of Boston proclaimed “Dave Maynard Day” in celebration of Maynard’s 25 years at WBZ. In 1990, Maynard moved to the mid-day shift. Maynard announced his retirement from radio in mid June of 1991.

He won the Massachusetts Broadcaster of the Year award in 1999.

His “Piece of Cake” television commercials were not only hilarious they won 2 Gold Medals at the International Film and Television Festival in New York City and a New England Emmy.

Dave Maynard and Robert Parish

Throughout the years Maynard’s community involvement was quite extensive.

He raised money for Children’s Hospital through The Children’s Hospital Telethon and The Farm Stand since 1982.

On April 11, 1988, he helped run “The Children’s Hospital Penny Drive” which raised $13,955.97–all in pennies.

He raised more than three-quarters of a million dollars for the hospital with the annual Farm Stand event. Maynard was also involved with Easter Seals, Muscular Dystrophy and Eye Research.

hall Longtime WBZ Host Dave Maynard Dies

A photo of WBZ-AM's Morning Team from 2009 at the Hall of Fame induction. (Photo credit: Michael Epstein, WBZ News Radio 1030)

In 1982 Dave organized a nationwide campaign to find a liver donor for Jamie Fiske. The appeal was successful, a donor was found.

Born in Larchmont, New York, Maynard graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree from Emerson College and received a Master of Communications from Boston University.

He also taught at Boston University for 17 years in the Communications Department. He was an avid traveler, gourmet cook and golfer.

Maynard leaves behind a wife, six children and nine grandchildren.

Comments

1. macmum says:

I remember listening to him in the morning on the way to work everyday. It never occured to me to listen to a music station when I could get news, traffic, weather and all in an entertaining format to get me through the commute. Its very sad to hear that he is now officially “off the air”. RIP Dave, we love you and will miss you!

1. Teach55 says:

Dave was great. His wit unsurpassed. Loved his quips and puns with Elliot Abrams before or during weather reports. We need more of that. The best were his recipes for Thanksgiving and the woman who called in hysterically laughing because her turkey exploded because a can had fallen inside it during preparation. The conversation and the remarks from Dave truly made that Thanksgiving pleasant. He will be sorely missed. Announcers today need to take a lesson from what he did and try to improve their work to be as well rounded as he was. Memory Eternal.

2. Joseph says:

Dave Maynard was at WBZ well before 1965: He joined WBZ Radio in 1958 as a DJ, and for years in the 1960’s was one of Boston’s top rock ‘n roll DJ’s.

He was at WBZ for 33 years.

1. Beverly says:

Kerry
      Mention Community Auditions to any Boston born and bred Baby Boomer
      and they’ll say Gene Jones, Sunday mornings. Your grandfather is still
      very much remembered

3. bcpnpt says:

We will miss everything about Dave – his radio show, the talent show, the Farm Stand, his cook books, his commercials, his caring and of course…his voice.
    Rest in Peace, Mr. Maynard. We love you !

4. Larry Hartnett says:

My wife, Barbara Hartnett, who passed away this past January 15th & I I traveled with Dave and Pat Maynard on many occasions to China, the Panama Canal, Italy & other locations in the 80’S and 90’s and always had a great time. My heart goes out to Pat in this most difficult time. May God ease your sorrow

Larry Hartnett, Maynard, Ma

5. Paul Anderson says:

Jess Cain, Carl deSuze, now Dave Maynard. The old morning Boston AM radio personalities are gone.

6. radiotable says:

As a star of the day participant, I feel a great loss.
    GOD BLESS..

7. karen s says:

“star of the day, who will it be ……” another memory from my years in massachusetts, starting with college in the early 70s. those radio voices became like family and friends during all nighters. the fund raisers for children’s, including the farm stand. good times, good people. rest in peace dave. thanks for the memories.

8. judy says:

Dave Maynard was my sister in laws father.. he was a good man and loved very much… we will miss you dearly

9. Charlie says:

Dave Maynard was a 100% class act. Rest in Peace, Dave. Godspeed!

10. Ron T says:

In addition to listening to him on my car radio, I also loved his outrageous funny tv skit ads!

I’ll always remember the funny skit, with him dressed as a football player, running down the field to catch a pass from Doug Flutie, but he forgets to turn around, and the football nails him dead center in the back of his helmet, Hysterical!!

11. Ron Hurst says:

I remember when Dave Maynard dj’d a dance at Blackburn Hall in Walpole back in the mid ’60s. The next morning, on his Sunday radio show on WBZ, Dave mentioned the dance and also how he forgot the boots that he wore that night.

Within minutes, I went to the Walpole Police Department, told them the story and, in turn, they gave me the key to the building. I went to the stage and just behind the curtain were Dave’s boots.

I called WBZ with my discovery and to my delight, they said the station employee who lives near Walpole was legendary evening DJ Bruce Bradley. At the time, Bruce was a resident of nearby Canton. On Monday afternoon, there was a knock on the front door of my home and, sure enough, there was Bruce to pick-up Dave Maynard’s boots.

Since WBZ was the absolute radio king in New England in the mid ’60s, this was a HUGE deal for me. Probably not so much for Bruce. :)

I’m shocked and saddened by Dave’s passing.

1. Ford Michaels says:

when I worked in greenfield in the early 80s, i drove all night to listen to bruce on yny-fm in new york. he was an awesome talent, too.

1. Ron H says:

Bruce sure was, Ford. Also when he was on WHN, NY.

2. madcosta says:

OMG! I forgot about Bruce Bradley. Dave, Carl, Bruce, Dick Summers were all great DJs. I miss those guys and those days in Boston.

12. Michael Putnam says:

I remember sitting in the audience of Commuity Auditions during their Saturday afternoon tapings. My tv instructor at Cambridge School of Broadcasting in 1964 was Lou Iaccuessa who was also the show’s director. He would have us as plants in the audience. Dave was a great host. We also listened to him everyday on the radio. He will be missed

1. Kerry says:

I am the grandaughter of Gene Jones, the original host of Community Auditions from August 23, 1950 to February 1967. I have many, many magazine and newspaper articles to back my statement. My grandfather was hosting the 1964 show then and Dave Maynard was doing only the commericials while my grandfather was hosting the show. Therefore, your statement is wrong.

2. Roger Ormon says:

Mike, the thing I remember was ‘Record Sop Hop.’ It was Dave’s version of ‘American Bandstand’ on WBZ TV about 1958. He would sign-up dancers at record hops. I got on just once or twice, but some of my friends in Squantum were “regulars.” We did a float in the July 4th parade which I have a picture of.
      Roger Ormon

1. Bill ABbott says:

Roger, Thanks for your post and bringing alive again the many memories of Dave at the Squantum School Auditorium dances and “Record Shop Hop”!. He was a master at his trade and a friend to us all!
        Bill A 790

13. Ford Michaels says:

David H (the H stood for heartfelt but today, heartBROKEN) taught me much of what I do well, and ALL of what I do right.

14. Mike Bent says:

I was on “Community Auditions” three times, it was the first time I performed magic on television! Dave was a really nice guy, a true gentleman! He will be missed!

15. Tom Groves says:

Worked with and for Dave for 10 years from the mid 70s to the mid 80s and he was a class act. Just as nice in real life as he came across on the radio and tv. I miss him already. Rest in peace buddy.

16. JaniN says:

Anyone who had the pleasure of meeting Dave, remembers the occasion fondly. Also, so many of us ‘turned into him’ on a daily basis, he became part of our lives. You will be greatly missed.

1. dowdy says:

I had the pleasure of caddying for Dave at Superanaughts Golf Course in Bolton (now The International Golf Course) in 1964. He stopped talking only to swing. Best tip I ever got there.

17. LEO says:

VERY SAD , THANK YOU DAVID.

18. Dean Eaton says:

Dave Maynard was a must-listen in the morning in our house (although my mom was also a Jess Cain fan). But Dave loved his city and gave back so much more than he ever received. The worst thing for me about getting older is seeing the old pros leave us, one by one. Dave was in a class by himself.

19. Steve says:

The Ryan Seacrest/American Idol show host of the 60’s. RIP Dave!

20. Paulette says:

I still recall–and have a cassette recording–of the time Richard Simmons joined him on Maynard in the Morning. They were hilarious together. I will listen to that tonight as I fondly remember the joy and class Dave brought to talk radio. There is simply no one comparable to him in radio today. Godspeed, Dave, thanks for the laughs.

21. rdtelman says:

Dave had the unique opportunity to have worked every time slot over the years he was at WBZ. We all considered him as a a friend and welcome him into our home via radio for many years. WBZ had a unique quality and signal reach in the night time hours. A after dark reach of 30+ states. Many on-air personalities have worked the airwaves through WBZ over the years, and he made many friends over the years he spent at WBZ Radio and WBZ-TV. Another legend has moved on. God speed Davey.

22. Nancy Nolan says:

DaveMaynard and Jess Cain ruled the airwaves. As a kid I remember hearing them both on the radio. God Bless them! They are missed.

23. Bruce says:

So many well deserved accolades to a man who cared nothing about accolades. He was so humble. We all grew up with Dave and all his programs. Like someone said earlier, the sad thing about ourselves getting older is we’re loosing all these legends along the way. RIP Dave; you genuinely will be missed

24. frank says:

I was in college in the 1970’s and I knew who Dave Maynard was from my childhood days listening to British Invasion music on WBZ in the 1960’s. My college roommate and I listened to him faithfully and we talked about him and laughed with him. I remember waking up one morning while Olga and Dave were harmonizing and it was the sound of sweetness and pure joy. I followed him during his every move on the radio station and I am sincerely sad that he is gone. I have been missing him since his retirement, and I will miss him even more now. RIP Dave, you gave a lot more than you could ever imagine.

25. Bill says:

BZ had the best. Among those already mentioned, Larry Glick was a favorite. R.I.P. one and all.

26. Johan vanderkeyl says:

Dave was the first D.J. I listened to in the early 60’s .I followed him from time slot to time slot. Some of my favorite times were whe he broadcasted from Downtown Crossing during Christmas each year.I remember going there and donating money with my brother.Dave a true icon R.I.P.

27. Tom Boland says:

A class act. I remember making donations to Childrens Hospital, and Dave would them make a wake up or happy birthday call in the morning to someone you chose. We’ve been blessed with such class acts, Dave, Gary LaPierre, Gil Santos, Jack Williams, Dan Rea and others, who were no just pretty faces, but were genuine people, and real newsmen. Unfortunately in todays world they are too few and far between. Thanks to all of them

28. Corbster says:

My memory as a kid is the famous Dave Maynard jingle “Star of the day… who will it be… your vote may hold the key… it’s up to you… tell us who… will be star of the day”! How many people remember that song? Most likely thousands. What an impact Dave Maynard made in all our lives throughout New England and beyond. RIP… you will always be remembered.

29. Dave_D says:

Very sad indeed. I was a long time fan of Dave’s during the morning drive time.

During one year’s WBZ farm stand for Children’s Hospital, I helped deliver a bunch of goods and stayed around to do some volunteer work. He was such a gracious and pleasant man. You always got the feeling that he really enjoyed life.

30. obpause says:

I was just a kid when Dave was on morning radio while I got ready for school. Don’t know what I loved more, his soft voice…or Gary LaPierre’s no-school announcements! But I remember Dave playing a song called “Angel On My Shoulder” for a long, long time…does anyone remember that? It was pretty funny! RIP, Dave. Thanks for the memories.

31. Tony Miles says:

As an African American man, meeting the man, Dave was cool with me. I will truly miss him, alot. To the Maynard Family, My sincerest condolences

32. FireGuyFrank says:

Dave was a fixture. One of my favorite promos for his show had dave outside experiencing all of New England’ whacky weather in one day, including, “We may even have some lightning, believe it or not.” Dave said, “No,” which was followed by a flash and boom, revealing Dave singed and saying, “Yes.”

Thoughts and prayers to his family.

33. Ginny Travers says:

I, too, was saddened to hear of the loss of another great one! Dave was fun and funny. It was a special treat to be listening to his show when Olga would call and give him some sass, and the next thing you knew, they’d be singing in harmony. My husband and I were just talking the other day about how Dave spoke many times of the use of DMSO for help with arthritis. Dave leaves behind a great legacy – he is already missed.

34. Doris Czajkowski says:

Another great one gone home, rest in peace Dave Maynard. Deepest sympathy to the Maynard family and to all who loved and cared for him.

35. Annie says:

Scott Grimes, the actor, was on Community Auditions many, many years ago. Not sure if that is where he got his start, but Dave knew a young talent when he saw it.
    I wonder if Scott would even remember the show – he would have been so young. I hope he will know of Dave’s passing.

36. Tommy says:

Dave we grew up listening to you, you were part of our daily lives, you could read a school closing list like nobody else (rip) …

37. Laurie Lynn says:

My heart goes out to the children, stepchildren and Dave’s wife. He now joins his first wife, Joan, in splendor! My parents worked with him in radio, and what wonderful memories we have as families! God rest your soul, Dave Maynard.

38. Dave_D says:

He also enjoyed cooking and sharing recipes on the air (he collected some in a couple of books). My family still uses his method for cooking Thanksgiving turkey.
    (just google Dave Maynard’s turkey recipe).

RIP

39. Rick Snyder says:

As a student from Syracuse attending college in Boston in the early 60’s, I wanted nothing else but to be on the radio, I was totally enthralled by Boston radio. WMEX, WCOP, but most of all WBZ. Dave Maynard was an inspiration to me and I was saddened to hear of his passing. In my ongoing career, still in radio, Dave Maynard’s name came up in conversations regarding the best of the best on the air through the years. A great guy, a community treasure, and a talent that will never be equalled. Dave Maynard will be missed.

40. Laurie Mann says:

I listened to Dave for many years when I lived in Massachusetts.. He was funny, on topic, and treated everyone very well, whether he was talking to a local politician or one of the many people who sand “The Sound of Music” on Community Auditions. While I never met Dave, we talked on the phone a few times when I was on a team that played morning trivia with him in about 1984. Class act all the way around.

41. Gail (clair)+ Don says:

We will always cherish the many times in Danvers that you cooked some fabulous meals,entertained us with your humorous stories and quick wit.Hosting the Youth Hockey dance @ the Prep was a wonderful day for my sister + family. You will truly be missed by us all.

42. Doug Thayer says:

Being a New Hampshire resident, WBZ (as well WRKO) made it into the area. Listened to Dave many many times over the years and yes we had TV up here on Cable and saw WBZ. Cable was just beginning, but we had “Boston TV” and watched Dave and all the other great members of the BZ TV staff. You could listen and stay with Dave for his entire show and NOT GET burned out.

43. mmarcia says:

I remember when Dave played music. There was one song in particular I loved, and it made me crazy because I didn’t know what it was, and Dave played it every day. I was glad to hear it this morning in Mike Coleman’s tribute. The song is “Walk Between the Raindrops” by Donald Fagan. Everytime I hear that song, I think of Dave Maynard.

44. Bob Craig says:

I not only had the pleasure of listening to Dave from the
    early days on WHIL & WORL, but also the privilege of
    working with him as a studio engineer at WBZ in 1963.
    His homespun personality was engaging both
    on and off the air. What a great roster he was part of
    with Carl DeSuze, Jeff Kaye ,Bruce Bradley Jay Dunn
    and DickSummer.

Bob Craig

45. fred king says:

Unlike today’s talk show hosts who communicate hate
    , Dave Maynard
    communicated warmth and humor and important information.
    ‘Angel on my shoulder” was by Shelby Flint. After church
    i listened to Dave on sundays counting down the top
    30. He was supposed to get to number one by 12:30
    but he never did, It was 12:50 or so and he would
    joke about that and keep me tuned longer.
    The story about the boots was priceless.. and it
    brought up memories of Bruce Bradley..In the sixties
    they called themselves “The Greatest Air Show on
    earth” What a talented liine up with Desuze, Maynard,
    Dunn, Bradley and Summer..Dunn and DeSuze have
    left us.. I hope Bradley and Summer are still with
    us, Fred

46. Bobby Kay says:

Dave was a long time voice in the Boston radio market.I listened in WBZ inm those days to him and Larry Glick at night . I like to hear people like Dave who would have their own personality. That is what makes radio what it is today .I was fortunate to work for a radio station ,WLNG in Sagharbor. for 15 years. I visit my friends from time to time.

47. Meme says:

I remember Dave as a DJ on the radio when I was a young teenager. He was loved by his audience..no wonder he entertained us for 50 years. He’s among our Boston legends. Sleep well, my friend.

48. Dick Barry says:

David was one of a kind he was just a very special man to all of New Englanders just one of the best and he will be truly missed
    Dick

49. doug stephan says:

As a kid working at WBZ in 1968, I remember what a great feeling there was to just being around all those guys. Carl was still doing mornings, but everyone knew Dave would eventually go there when Carl retired, and so it was. Fun doesn’t go far enough in describing what it was like there inside and out. Over the years, as I grew up in radio, I have been fortunate to become friends with some of the other legendary talent that was there. Dick Summer and I talking about it this morning..he said”On the air, he was a person in an age of disk jockeys,Off the air, he was a gentleman in an age of phoneys. One of the things I remember best was filling in for him..I noticed his headset said “David H. Maynard” I wondered what the “H” stood for. So, I asked the audience what they thought. One listener said “Heartfelt” and it stuck..Carl called him”Dear Boy” and “scrubhead”..What greatness

50. DonnaMM says:

Thinking of Dave Maynard brings back so many wonderful, happy memories of my teenage years. He was such a humorous, thoughtful, and intelligent person, God Bless you Dave and God Bless your family.

51. Don Kenney says:

I played bass in the Community Auditions backup group. On piano was Bob Winter, on drums the late Bob Varney. We had a lot of fun with Dave, sometimes playing tunes with a common theme. One night we played a series of tunes starting with ‘Just Friends’ , then ‘Cant we be Friends’, winding up with ‘Rosetta’. Dave was puzzled by the third tune and aske us how it fit the ‘friends’ theme. Bob Winter cracked “Oh, she’s a friend of the Bass player’. I broke Dave up…..

52. Jack Wyatt says:

I remember watching Dave cue the 45’s and run the show from the WBZ Sundeck Studio at Paragon Park, Nantasket Beach. I was only a teen and as I watched I often thought “Boy, would I love to do that!!!!!”
    Dave was my hero!!

53. sloopjohnB2 says:

My deepest sympathy to his family. He was a REAL pro.. Really enjoyed listening to him. May god bless him.

54. jack says:

Dave was a true gentleman…my sympathies to his family.
    Many people forget about the fact the Dave did the “overnight shift” (midnight to 5″00 a.m. on WBZ radio for a few years.
    Thus..
    Just a quick story….A number of years ago WBZ radio ran a dinner for Dave at the Lantana in Randolph Mass. Listeners to the radio station could win tickets to the dinner by mailing in their “favorite memories” from the career of Dace Maynard.
    I won tickets by “sending in THIS memory.
    I wrote about the time that Dave fell asleep (on the air) while hosting his call-in talk show.
    You could actually hear him snoring!
    Other hosts might put their listeners to sleep…only Dave could put “himself” to sleep!
    Dave….we all miss you!

55. Jim Anderson says:

Dave was a great person simply because he had “no baggage”. He was “Dave”. He did not speak for any group or cause. He was “Dave”. People loved him because of his honesty and straight forward style. RIP Dave, if there is a Heaven on Earth, you are there.

56. Polly Hawkins says:

Dave kept me company many nights when I could not sleep. He has always had a special place in my heart, so very many fond memories, never to be forgotten.

57. Annie says:

When I think of Dave Maynard it reminds me of some of the happiest years of my life in my 20’s. Always enjoyed his “Maynard in the Morning” show–what a great way to start the day with all those laughs! His passing is such a great loss to all of us who loved him so, and what a shame that younger folks will never have had a chance to hear what a truly great radio and tv personality he was, nor will there ever again be anyone like him.

58. Sherm Chester says:

God Bless Dave and his family.

Thank you for all the smiles and laughs over the years.

Last week I was riding a euphoric high having finally had a chance to broadcast on WBZ….sitting in with Jordan Rich.

When I was signing off I mentioned that as a young child in the late 1950’s I would listen to Dave on my first AM transistor radio..a Zenith and talk into an oversized pencil which was my make believe microphone. I always tried to emulate not imitate his style and delivery. He was my mentor.

So for all of us who were inspired to get into the broadcasting business by Dave….I hope we can make him proud.

59. Karen Harrison says:

My condolences go out to all of Dave’s family,freinds and collegues during this tought time.. I grew up listening to WBZ (still do ) … Dave was such a staple on WBZ and as others have said has done lots outside of WBZ too.
    Rest in Peace Dave Maynard and may you and other former collegues such as Larry Glick meet up again ..

60. Lori L'Heureux says:

Dave was the most enjoyable radio personality in my time. Enjoyed his show daily during my morning commute to work. In later years, I took several European (and one to Hawaii) trips with Dave and his lovely wife, Pat. They were GREAT to be with. BRAVO Dave for your work for Children’s Hospital.
    R.I.P. David Manard ~ Mr. Personality +

61. Joan Noble Pinkham says:

With sympathies to Dave’s family. He was my inspiration at B.U. and Cambridge School of Broadcasting so many years ago. Having been in radio at a very early age, I had much to learn and Dave was an excellent and patient teacher. A good friend with so much talent. Always the gentleman and will always be missed.

62. Dick McDonough says:

Dick McDonough – While in high school I met Dave at a record hop. He was so kind to me when I told him I was going to get in to radio after high school. He seemed thrilled. I always enjoyed listening to his countdown show on the weekend on BZ. When I started on the radio listeneing to Dave, Jeff K. and Bruce Bradley, their commercials readings were not line mine. Then, by paying close attention to all of their styles, they were speaking to me and not reading a spot.

63. GP Brefini says:

I have been a fan & listener of Dave Manyard my entire life, from a child to the days when I had my own family. I remember on three separate occassions meeting Mr. Maynard; twice in a plane going to Florida on business and once in Florida with my family on vacation. Each time he was warm and sincerely friendly. I recall our dicsussion at 35,000 feet of how he wanted to bring back Community Auditions and I wished him well on that because it was one of my favorite locally produced programs here in Boston. He had a wonderful relaxed style on the radio and TV and his radio show often got me into classes at Northeastern thru the worst weather and traffic. I will miss him, his sense of humor which made me smile when I saw his TV promos for WBZ radio. I am very sorry he has passed away. My condolences to his immediate family and his radio family at WBZ, We have lost a great human being and broadcaster.

64. Clive T. Smith says:

I helped Dave at many Farm Stands for Children’s Hospital.
    I miss him. Love to Pat and Dave’s children.
    Smitty