Bulger Returns To Court, Lawyer Wants Gag Order Enforced
BOSTON (CBS/AP) — Reputed Mob boss Whitey Bulger returned to court on Tuesday for a hearing.
Bulger, who was taken by police motorcade from prison in Plymouth, arrived wearing a bright orange jumpsuit.
Among those in attendance for the hearing was the Donahue family. Michael Donahue was an innocent victim allegedly killed by Bulger. His wife and son are vowing to attend as many of the proceedings as possible.
“I would like to see this through all the way,” said Patricia Donahue.
According to WBZ-TV’s Jim Armstrong, mother and son sat glaring at back of Bulger’s head.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Bernice Corpuz spoke to the Donahues:
Whitey’s brother Billy Bulger was not in attendance.
Earlier in the day, federal prosecutors moved to drop a 1994 racketeering indictment against Bulger in order to focus on a later indictment that charged the newly captured fugitive for his alleged role in 19 murders.
WBZ-TV’s Jonathan Elias reports.
The 1994 indictment charges Bulger with multiple counts of extortion, loan sharking, witness tampering and conspiracy.
In the notice, U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz says prosecutors consider a later 1999 indictment charging Bulger with 19 murders the stronger case. He faces life in prison on those charges.
Bulger fled just before the indictment was issued in early 1995. He was captured last week after 16 years on the lam.
The move brought the judge to postpone a decision on whether Bulger can use a taxpayer-funded public attorney.
Bulger’s temporary lawyer, Peter Krupp, was given until Wednesday afternoon to review the US attorney’s request to dismiss the 1994 charges.
During the hearing, Krupp suggested the 1999 murder indictment be dropped on the same grounds as the 1994 charges.
Krupp also requested that the judge enforce a gag order, citing leaks about what Bulger has already told FBI agents.
The judge acknowledged Krupp’s concerns. He warned the US attorney’s office it would be in their best interest to keep quiet, pointing out that leaks could taint an eventual verdict.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Lana Jones reports.
Two high-profile Boston attorneys, Max D. Stern and Howard M. Cooper, sat in the last row of the court room. WBZ-TV’s Beth Germano has confirmed Stern and Cooper will eventually represent Bulger. Both men refused to comment outside court.
Krupp says he will continue to represent Bulger for the immediate future.
Bulger is due back in court on Thursday.
(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)