NHL Fines Bruins Ference $2,500 For Gesture

BOSTON (AP/CBS) – Boston Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference was fined $2,500 for the obscene gesture made during Game Four against the Montreal Canadiens, the NHL announced Friday.

The incident was reviewed by NHL Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations Mike Murphy, and the fine was levied for violation of Rule 75.5 (ii) of the National Hockey League’s Official Rules.

Read: Ference Says Finger To Montreal Fans Was An Accident

Ference made an obscene gesture to the capacity crowd of 21,273 after he drove a slap shot past Carey Price midway through the second to draw Boston to 3-2.

“I think my glove got caught up,” Ference said. “I can assure you that’s not part of who I am or what I ever have been.”

Listen: Shawn Thornton On T&R: The Secret To Coming Back In Series

No penalty was assessed for the infraction.

The fine money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. casey says:

What a relief!

2. Phineas Phogg says:

I’ll start a collection and bring the $2500 to him tomorrow night.

3. Kirsti Chicester says:

At least the fine costs less than taking a family of four to one of these playoff games!

4. habsfan212 says:

This made my day. Another cheap move from a cheap team. The Canadiens always get the bad rap, but we’re finally starting to see the Bruins’ true colors. You stay classy!

1. Phineas Phogg says:

What a choad. “The Canadiens always get the bad rap”…gee, I wonder how that happened? Its not the team, its the FANS that suck, and Ferrence should’ve mooned them while he was it.

2. boston says:

baaahaaaa a Habs fan talking about class….

3. ckmom says:

thats rich coming from the city that harassed a bus full of 10 year old hockey players at the beginning of the Gulf War because they didnt like the politics! Hows the secession plan coming? oh yeah that got canceeled when you figured out you couldnt keep your national health, government postal, pension and welfare!

4. bruinsfan4eva says:

get over your self did it really hert your feelings? maybe you should call police to investigate . if you have an issue get a tisuee lol

5. ChrisBsFan says:

Usually, when someone gets a bad rap, theres a reason for it….You stay classy!

6. blackbear1 says:

You always get a bad rap?? Sure!! But you always get the good calls from the officials, after your weenie players flop, fall and pretend they just recieved a knife wound. I still can’t forget that dude of yours a couple of years ago being carried out, then laughing and smiling once he reached the bench.

5. Tom says:

Montreal fans would be have a bake sale outside Bell Centre to help pay for it.

6. steven sprague says:

I think it’s great – everyone should have the same chance to tell Montreal to kiss my rosy red (fill in the blanks).

7. DrStrangelove says:

Now now now, if a Habs fan wants to call us unclassy, we shouldn’t point fingers… or any one finger in particular… like THIS one …. Here’s my $2500.

8. Curtis says:

Money well spent!! Give it to those obnoxious fans again!