By Staff

FRANKLIN (CBS) – A fire that tore through a 12-unit condominium complex in Franklin earlier this week has been ruled accidental, the State Fire Marshal said Friday.

The fire at the Franklin Crossing Condominiums Monday afternoon left 36 families without a home, some of them permanently. One resident was hurt trying to fight the fire herself.

READ MORE: Janey Did 'The Only Thing She Could Do' In Firing Dennis White, Former BPD Commissioner Ed Davis Says

“The fire originated in the bedroom of a third floor unit. Whether an electrical malfunction or an unattended candle ignited the bedding cannot be definitively determined. There is no evidence suggesting the fire was intentionally set. The fire is considered accidental but undetermined,” the fire marshal’s office said in a statement.

READ MORE: Son Charged With Murdering 80-Year-Old Mother Inside Lynn Home

Franklin Fire Chief James McLaughlin said the complex didn’t have fire sprinklers because they weren’t required when it was built.

“Sprinklers would have made a huge difference in the lives of these 36 families who are displaced. Wet things dry out but houses don’t un-burn,” the chief said in a statement Friday. “Most fires are contained by a single sprinkler head closest to the fire.”

MORE NEWS: Vigil Planned For 17-Year-Old Who Drowned At Dedham Graduation Party

Retired Needham firefighter Mike Wright lived in one of the buildings. He ran around ringing doorbells to get people outside safely when the fire started. Staff