WBZ Cares is our public service initiative focused on local nonprofit entities, events, and causes. Each month WBZ NewsRadio 1030 will select an organization to profile.
Through news stories, public service announcements and guest appearances on NightSide with Dan Rea, we will show the hard work and dedication of our local charities.
WBZ NewsRadio has been a trusted voice in New England for more than 90 years and we would like to work with our listeners to improve the lives of New Englanders in need.
If you would like your charity to be considered, please send us an email.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030 is proud to support Learn to Cope. Learn to Cope is a peer-led support network for families dealing with addiction and recovery. At weekly meetings throughout Massachusetts members receive support, education, resources and hope. Families are also able to be trained in overdose prevention and Narcan administration, leaving the meeting with a life-saving medication that is used to reverse opioid overdoses. There is hope… You are not alone.
Funded by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Learn to Cope collaborates with communities across Massachusetts to spread messages of prevention, education, awareness, and advocacy. With nearly 7,600 members on a private online forum and 22 chapters throughout the state of Massachusetts, and an additional chapter in Florida, the group offers families unique support from their peers.
- Drug overdose is a leading cause of injury death in the United States. Among people 25 to 64 years old, drug overdose causes more deaths than motor vehicle accidents.
- About 60 percent of overdose deaths involve prescription drugs.
- One of the most common places family members find a loved one who has overdosed is in their room alone.
- An overdose usually occurs within 1-3 hours after using the drug.
- Overdose can happen with first time use.
Every chapter of Learn to Cope holds weekly meetings run by experienced facilitators who have been there. These meetings offer peer-support, education, resources and HOPE for families dealing with addiction and recovery. They are a safe place for members to share their experiences, ask questions, learn about addiction and listen to guest speakers who are either in long term recovery or professionals in the field. Overdose education and Narcan training are also available at every meeting in Massachusetts
- WBZ Cares: Cradles to Crayons Achieves a Major Milestone
- WBZ Cares: Cradles to Crayons Is Highly Rated By a Charity Evaluator
- NightSide – WBZ Cares – Cradles to Crayons
- WBZ Cares: Cradles to Crayons Distributes Thousands of Backpacks To Children in Need
- WBZ Cares: Cradles to Crayons Helps Needy Children Thrive
- WBZ Cares: The Genesis Foundation Legacy Lives Through Benefactors
- WBZ Cares: Hurler Syndrome Patient Owes Life To The Heart of Feingold
- NightSide – WBZ Cares: The Genesis Foundation
Read: All WBZ CARES Stories from WBZ NewsRadio 1030