BOSTON (CBS) — Boston Firefighters worked to put out a fire started by an unattended candle at a home day care center Tuesday morning.

Flames could be seen shooting through windows of the Lamartine Street building in Jamaica Plain just after 10 a.m.

Five children were at the day care but they had already been taken out of the building by the time fire crews arrived.

Boston Fire officials said the day care center is run out of the basement of the two and a half-story home.

“We received numerous calls about heavy fire and the people who were reporting or calling said that there were children in the building, that it was a day care. So upon arrival, naturally, we heightened our awareness and our response, and we called for additional alarms,” said Fire Commissioner Joe Finn.

Four adults have been displaced.

After crews put out the flames, heavy smoke continued to come out of the home and could be seen from up the street.

Boston City Councilor Matt O’Malley was at the scene.

He told WBZ-TV, “It appears Boston Fire did an amazing job, as always, distinguishing the flames. Obviously, there’s still flumes of smoke coming out. The house is still standing but there is hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of damage.”

O’Malley also said it appears the fire was contained to one building.

Officially, about $1 million was done in damage.

Trisha Young’s daughter attends the now-damaged day care. She left work to pick up her when she heard what happened.

“I’m very grateful that she is okay. I was already made aware from work that she is fine and that she’s at a safe location. When I came and I saw the house, I was really devastated for the owner because she is really a lovely lady and she has their best interests at heart,” Young said.

According to the Department of Early Education and Care (EEC), the day care’s license is in good standing. The EEC’s last visit there was on November 22, 2017.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s