WEYMOUTH (CBS) — Employees and shoppers at the Weymouth Shaw’s were evacuated due to a hazmat incident midday on Sunday.

According to the Weymouth Fire Chief, one person was transported from the Middle Street store and several other people became ill from the fumes in the deli area.

Natural gas was ruled out and the hazmat team left, only to be called back two hours when three people were nauseous and had headaches.

shaws 1 Person Transported, Several Sick After Shaws Hazmat Incident

Officials respond to a hazmat situation at the Weymouth Shaws (WBZ-TV)

All workers were sent home for the day.

Hazmat, fire, and state officials investigated and found a refrigerant leak prompted the incident.

shaws1 1 Person Transported, Several Sick After Shaws Hazmat Incident

Firefighters on scene at Shaw’s after a hazmat incident. (WBZ-TV)

Food in the store is also being evaluated to ensure it is still safe.

“Because the safety and health of our employees and customers are our top concerns, Shaw’s decided to keep the store closed overnight. A final review of the store will be conducted at 6AM tomorrow. If no issues are detected, the store will re-open,” Shaw’s said in a statement.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s