Starbucks Barista Has Meltdown Over Unicorn Frappuccino

BOSTON (CBS/AP) – The internet has lost its mind over the limited-edition Unicorn Frappuccino – and apparently so have Starbucks baristas.

The sugary frozen drink that changes flavor and color with a stir of the straw debuted on Wednesday and is only available until Sunday.

A 19-year-old Starbucks barista in Colorado described the “insane” scene at his location.

“I have never been so stressed out in my entire life,” Braden Burson said in a video that went viral. “My hands are completely sticky.”

He says people were coming in left and right on Wednesday.

“If you love us as baristas, don’t order it,” he said. “For the love of God and everything that is good, don’t get the Unicorn Frappuccino!”

Burson tells The Associated Press that he didn’t think he would get this much publicity and he didn’t intend to “downgrade” the drink.

“It’s a great drink. But it is difficult to make when there are like 20 fraps all at once both front and drive thru,” he wrote in a Facebook message.

Starbucks says in a statement it’s reaching out to Burson “to talk about his experience and how to make it better.”

But his rant is clearly resonating with some fellow baristas.

And regular customers say their local Starbucks has been overwhelmed by Unicorn Frappuccino seekers.

A large Unicorn Frappuccino contains a whopping 76 grams of sugar. A can of Coca Cola has 39 grams.

(© Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. If you want coffee-flavored milkshakes, Starbucks is for you. A cup of coffee? Dunkin Donuts.

1. Whataburger is featuring coffee milkshakes at the moment( for a limited time) . They are under $3 and very good. I don’t patronize Starbucks. I have no need for overpriced coffee from a company whose CEO disdains almost everything I believe in.

1. Stan Olson says:

And it only costs what? $10?

2. Edwin Vignes says:

All the hot chicks are at Sbux.

2. Don McCoy says:

Unreal…these delicate little snowflakes can’t handle serving a cup of coffee!? LMAO! Good thing this IS the real world for some of them…because if they actually had to join us in reality…they’d beg to go back to making Unicorn coffee for soccer moms and hipsters.

3. Dare I say snowflakes? Naw…You were all thinking it.

1. Wondering why the comments are pure, hot garbage?

Thank Matt Drudge.

4. hitrestart1 says:

Goodness. Sounds like the poor little guy needs a safe space. And maybe a puppy.

1. Actually, it’s ‘Dog is Friend’ who really needs the puppy.

5. Perry Dice says:

oh c’mon this is employee appreciation week for starbucks…

6. 80 grams of Carbs…..they are going to kill people

7. I don’t think Brandon will be working for Starbucks for much longer. First of all, I don’t patronize Starbucks and have no desire to do so. Secondly, I don’t much pay attention to stupid people who don’t know how to wear a baseball cap correctly and drive while ranting and taking selfies of themselves. The DA now has video evidence of him breaking the law pertaining to the usage of cell phones while driving. Way to go Dumb A$$. Now of course all of the other dumb a$$es out there will disagree with this minimum wage earner telling others what they should purchase and what they should not purchase. Many people like Skittles. I don’t but many do. I must say it was a cleaver way to get free advertisement for Starbucks though.

8. David Foster says:

Geez, what did you expect when you signed up for a job at a cafe? You did not think you would be making drinks? What a joke

9. “I have never been so stressed out in my entire life,”.

Thanks goodness, you weren’t part of the generation that defended us in WW2.
    And I seriously doubt that he will survive in this cold cruel world…

10. “For the love of God and everything that is good, don’t get the Unicorn Frappuccino!”

You see, God *is* still useful to progressives — to set up their punchlines.

11. That’s why Starbucks wants immigrant hires, to make drinks that Americans won’t.

1. Stan Olson says:

It’s Me (@hybrd24) But I don’t think it’s Central American immigrants that would be hired.

2. I am amazed people still go to Starbucks…why? coffee? No way..status…yes. When I see someone with a Starbucks cup all I can think of is, what an idiot.

12. Am I the only one who can’t believe he’s recording this video, including looking into the camera and leaning into the screen, WHILE HE IS DRIVING A MOVING VEHICLE.

The future is doomed, people.

13. Alan Reyes says:

These ‘baristas’ are employed to make coffee drinks. How can we not call them snowflakes when making coffee drinks is more ‘stress’ than they can handle?

14. thenightscribe says:

I hadn’t intended to get one but now, I’m determined to.

15. mncjgaines says:

Two different issues here. One, this poor soul can’t or won’t do his job, so he has to blab to the world about how horrible of an employee he is. Why is he not fired? Two – what the hell are all these people thinking? The liberal one-think mind has to run out to do every trendy thing social media tells them to do so they remain cool. Like the thousands of people lining up for the latest electronic gadget that comes along every six months. How many of the mindless drones are driving a Prius and talking on an iPhone?

16. As an ER doc, I can say this guy would never be able to handle my job.

1. Mike Shippey says:

You mean to tell me that you thin providing urgent medical care for grievously injured people is more stressful than making a cup of coffee? Braden disagrees. Making coffee is HARD.

I think I have about the least stressful job in the world. The only thing that could make it less stressful would be if I didn’t care at all whether I got fired or not. Kind of the like I would feel if my job was making coffee.

17. Tobias Keith says:

Poor Branden Bunsen. Shouldn’t he earn $15/hr?

18. Pete Dosado says:

Someone is punking us, right? A Starbucks barista with the handle of Branden Bunsen who cannot handle making frappucinos? Man up, guy!

19. Bob She says:

I can’t imagine how the muslims, could possibly beat us in a war. Just look at these warriors!

1. Bob She says:

Soooo…nice starbucks commercial disguised as news.

20. Lars LaRue says:

My shadow will never darken the doorstep of a Starbucks. The franchise, and its CEO, just sucks, period. Sorry.

21. Really Brandon, Really??? Both of your hands got all sticky! Shame on all those customers.for upsetting you. Did you know that those customers are the reason you have the job??? I for one will no longer be going to Starbucks for fear of ordering the wrong thing and upsetting one of the baristas. God forbid you get a REAL job. You sound like working at Starbucks should actually be your career choice cause that’s all you can barely handle.

22. I still do not know why anyone needs to go to law school in the U.K. in order to make coffee at a Starbucks. Makes no sense to me.

23. BeanerECMO says:

And they wonder why they are called snowflakes.

24. David Koob says:

I work at the DMV, and the last 20 customers all wanted to renew their driver’s licenses. If you love the folks at the DMV, for the love of God, please don’t apply for a license renewal.

25. I don’t get my coffee from Starbucks, but I might go to one to order a unicorn frap and watch what happens.

1. Ed Cole says:

Holy heck, that is a GREAT idea. I’ve had a $25 Starbucks gift card sitting on my dresser for months, because I refuse to do business with that lousy place. I was waiting to think of someone to re-gift the card to, but I think I’ll go in and order $25 worth of those drinks (lucky if it buys 3 of them, the overpriced darn place), and after watching the baristas grudgingly make them, and I pay for them, drop them STRAIGHT INTO THE TRASH right in front of the same barista, smile, and walk out.

26. Starbuck’s is coming out now with the new “Snowflake” frappucino. It is a flavorless concoction made of righteous indignation, a sense of entitlement and the tears of baristas who actually had to earn their pay. The cost of a large is your dignity.

27. Ed Cole says:

Aw…did the poor, entitled snowflake get ‘triggered’ because he actually had to be inconvenienced by working a little harder than usual? Suck it up, buttercup.

28. Dave Oas says:

I can certainly relate to this young man’s anxiety. I’m sure his stress is very similar to what I experienced as a state trooper for 32 years; telling families that a loved one was killed, arresting a carload of bad guys, searching for missing children – I’m sure Braden will vividly remember the emotional toll he’s endured, even after more than 30 years. You’ll get through this Braden.

29. Brian Smyth says:

The boy is 19 years old and has never been so stressed out in his life. (Over a unicorn). He needs to get some coping mechanisms. He has a long life ahead of him.

30. Brian Smyth says:

Sounds like the economy is booming.

31. And now we know why this person has advanced to the high level of Barista.

32. Is Starbuck’s intent on making more people sick than Coca-cola or McDonald’s? With the dyes and the sugar content, they might as well label it with a skull and cross bones.