Poll: America Wants The Patriots To Lose Super Bowl LI

FOXBORO (CBS) – It’s the New England Patriots against the world this Super Bowl Sunday.

A new report from Public Policy Polling found that 53 percent are pulling for the Atlanta Falcons to win in Houston. Only 27 percent of respondents said they are rooting for the Patriots.

The poll also says the Patriots are the most hated team in the league, which has been the case ever since DeflateGate. Two points behind the Patriots are the Cowboys, with 19 percent calling Dallas their least favorite team.

Related: Why Some Are Rooting For Patriots Outside New England

There’s good news and bad news when it comes to Tom Brady. The poll shows 22 percent say Brady is their favorite quarterback, beating Aaron Rodgers by 6 points. On the other hand, he’s also the top answer for least favorite quarterback, with 24 percent compared to Cam Newton’s 15 percent.

There are some numbers here that Patriots fans will like.

Commissioner Roger Goodell is still unpopular, with 37 percent having an unfavorable opinion of him compared to 22 percent who view him favorably.

And then there’s the one stat that matters to New England fans: 52 percent think the Patriots will win the Super Bowl, compared to 36 percent for the Falcons.

Comments

1. serenaporra says:

nah i dont think thats gonna happen

2. mzstitch says:

Once a cheat, always a cheat.

1. Could you be a little more stupid? I bet you can.

1. mzstitch says:

Sure I could be more stupid, but I couldn’t be more right! I am right.

2. Roger Jones says:

Calling someone stupid for calling Brady a cheat is stupid.

2. Steven Prone says:

Your boy Goodego is going down to the GOAT.
      In 20 yrs Goodego will be looked at as the narcissistic who ruined the NFL.

3. Once an imbecile, always an imbecile.

1. mzstitch says:

Agreed he is!

4. Joe Corrao says:

We can’t be caught! We find a way to cheat and then change the method and cheat another way! MWWWWahahhahahahhahaaaa!

5. Mara Massey says:

Never found to cheat. You’re just ignorant….and jealous.

1. mzstitch says:

He just sat on the bench for four weeks this year because he wanted to huh. No he was found to have cheated. Do you smash your cell phone to bits after you’ve been told not to? I was born and raised in New England, but I’ll never respect this organization or it’s quarterback. Rightly so.

6. Ken Pittman says:

At some point, you’ll have to forgive your life partner.

7. Tom Ward says:

Yeah, Deflategate. What cheaters. If Brady hadn’t personally deflated the footballs, they might have only won by 28. LOL. Praying we get to shove the Lombardi trophy up Roger’s behind Sunday. Go Pats!

8. The Patriots are the Hillary Clinton of the NFL- any underhanded tactic to win.

1. and your picture is found on wikipedia with the name ASS WIPE

3. I like the Falcons. But it’s the end of the line for them. The Patriots will win the Superbowl with the great Tom Brady at the helm.

4. I’d like to see the Patriots win to finally confirm that Brady is the GOAT and we can stop all arguments otherwise.

5. The Pats will win by 14+ points…

6. Wonder how the Pats feel about being just barely more popular than Goodell.

7. Don’t have a dog in this fight but NE seem to have a stench that follows them year after year. If not the players it is their fans.

1. What BS. Superior coaching, game preparation, developing players to adapt to multiple roles, playing good situational football and minimizing mistakes is what has led to their success. The footballs for their SB win over Seattle were secured by the Secret Service and Brady went out and set the SB record for completions by a QB. Cracks me up.

1. Tony Tads says:

now the balls are checked he still beating the rest of the losers
        deflated balls didn’t matter. new slogan DBM

2. You sound ignorant and/or jealous.

8. Joe Johnson says:

I’m for the Patriots simply because of the little crybabies who hate them.

9. Steve Grant says:

Hmmmmmm….thought the “walking dead” had eaten everyone in Atlanta.

10. Mike Deeb says:

How many don’t give a flying squirrel?

11. Gary Duncan says:

If the Patriots win, it’s a piece of sports history because it’ll be Brady’s 5th Super Bowl win. If Atlanta wins, nobody will remember who won the game a month later.

12. Joe Corrao says:

100% of Pats fans don’t really care

13. Kathy Mann says:

You mean to say that only 73% hate liars and cheaters??? WOW…we’re doomed!!!!!

1. The loser 73% are going to be very unhappy Sunday.

14. Paull Cudak says:

Sounds like the same old media line. Yankees suck/Patriots suck

15. I want the Pats to win just because libs hate Brady because he is friends with Trump.

16. ANOTHER BAD POLL THEY MUST BE INSTEP WITH THE LIEING MEDIA

17. Hank Litner says:

DW calls the Patirots the “Cheaters.” Although we have little interest in either team….there is no way we could ever support the “Cheaters.”

1. Rockmon Bo says:

Did you voter for Hillary? Then not only did you support a cheater you voted for a liar and a criminal!!!

18. John Fembup says:

The Pats don’t give a spit what any of you think.

None of you is going to make a block or gain a lousy yard on Sunday.

Fans do what they do best – make noise.

19. I didn’t have a preference… until now. GO PATRIOTS!

20. Tom’s gonna have to await another year for the one for the thumb. #RiseUp! #Brotherhood #TomSitsToPee

21. Rockmon Bo says:

Who cares what the haters and losers think? Regardless of what they say when it comes to finding out how good your team is there’s only 1 measuring stick and that’s the New England Patriots…Period!!!

22. Jim Speers says:

What oercentage of those polled just don’t give rip who wins?

23. A Pats win would save the city of Atlanta. I can only imagine what a “celebration” of a Falcons victory would look like there.

24. Jack Lee says:

The Patriots live in the easiest division in football. Every year they go 12-4, get a first round bye, followed by a playoff game at Home against a scrub team. This year it was Houston who was a 16 point underdog. On top of that, they cheat. Like the fake Fire Alarm at the Steelers Hotel the night before the AFC game. Of course, it happens at 3AM, the best time to screw up someones’ sleep pattern. On the Road, Tom Brady is 3 wins and 4 losses in the playoffs. At the Super Bowl, neutral site, Brady is 4 wins and 2 losses. So, in total, outside NE, Belicheck/ Brady is an average 7 wins and 6 losses. He’ll be .500 after Sunday.

25. All Most says:

The Patriots are known cheaters. When you cheat to win, you’re not a true winner.

26. My wife hates the Patriots, so I am a fan.

27. Only 27 percent of respondents said they are rooting for the Patriots.
    So 73% of respondents are total idiots. I’ll bet against them any day !

28. I’m one of those who think the best team will win – Go Pats and I’m from the NFC side

29. Dave Branch says:

There are a few teams that know how to play the Patriots close. . . . . .the Falcons are not one of those teams.

30. snailmailtrucker says:

Was that a CNN Poll…or ESPN ?

Ahahahahahahahaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahah

31. snailmailtrucker says:

The other 73% didn’t know who was playing !

32. Well then a win for the Patriots is illegitimate since the majority do not approve.

33. Haha. More fake News from CBS. Everyone wants the “Patriots” to win the Super bowl.

34. I’m pretty sure nearly 100% of us Saints fans are pulling for the Patriots!

35. Charles Snow says:

Nobody cares! Televised football and the rest of these contrived sports type events are already obsolete. Younger generation has no interest at all in the overly hyped nonsense. This moronic garbage is going the way of horse racing and dog tracks. Good riddance to pro football.

1. Apparently you were always in the first round of cuts in any sport you tried.

36. John Clausen says:

Very few want the Falcons to win…The remainder hope the Patriots get beat.

37. Being a massive Dolphin and Texan fan (yea it is rough let me tell you), I have always rooted against the Patriots. However, they deserve respect. They are an elite team with an elite QB in a quarterback driven league and will probably coast to victory next Sunday. I admit it would be cool to see a close game or even an upset. Highly unlikely though.

38. Heisen Berg says:

It’s not that most people in American hate the Patriots, it’s because they hate people from the Northeast. People from the NE are rude, obnoxious, and think they are better than the rest of America.

I do executive recruiting (headhunter), and have done it for over 20 years. When I ask a candidate if they are open to relocation, 90% say they don’t want live in the Northeast.

The Northeast SUCKS!

1. That’s those Democrats for ya!…I should know, I live here, or should I say stuck here…for now..

39. I am with the 27%. I hope Brady throws for 400 yards and 6 touchdowns. The man is pure joy to watch as a quarterback. Simply the Best There Ever Was

40. Ford Hanson says:

I hope he wins simply because the left wing media is trying to bury him for just being friends with our POTUS. They slobbered over Barry and anyone who was his buddy and they try to annihilate and hurt anyone who does not hate President Trump. They are sick people.

41. Tom Anthony says:

Those of you who call them cheaters are deluding yourselves on how bad YOUR TEAM is who cannot coach like the Patriots or play like the Patriots. The truly amazing thing about the Patriot’s success is that it is occurring during the salary cap era that was SUPPOSE to level the playing field. Brady and Belichick will retire….until then I am loving the greatest dynasty in sports history! Try to live with the truth….it’s so much easier than those who want to believe in “alternate” truths.

42. Paul Belyea says:

Oh boo -hoo- hoo! The Pats will somehow steal the Lombardi trophy during halftime and then scurry away. NOT. I suppose I might have felt that way many years ago when the Cowboys seemed to win everything in site, but they weren’t my team. Landry and Staubach, what a coaching and quarterback team. Thought they were great, but still not my team.

All you haters, wherever you come from, should just quit complaining, and advise your own teams how to practice & play as good as New England.

43. Stu Pedasso says:

Somehow I don’t think Tom Brady and the Patriots give a flying you-know-what as far as the polls go.

44. Pete Dosado says:

Patriots and Tom Brady are the underdogs? Rooting for the underdogs!

45. I dont think its hate as much as its dislike for the Coach and his business like attitude to winning and the rest of the country. I guess from what ive heard he treats the local media in Boston MUCH better.

46. Tom will have one of his biggest games. Lib football fans will cry. win win

47. Steven Prone says:

Truly our civilization is doomed! 22% have a favorable option of the lying cheating perjuring narcissistic egomaniac, POS white trash Goodego!!! What Charles Manson wasn’t available?

48. Vox Veritas says:

“Poll: America Wants The Patriots To Lose Super Bowl LI”

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

49. Rick Bellows says:

Most people don’t want the Patriots to win this year because they have a sense of art and symmetry. It’s not about who is best – but that there be balance in things. Many people are offended by a clear winner. They want struggle, followed by personal introspection, and only if the hero demonstrates self-deprecation, then possibly victory. Too friggn’ bad. Football is about winning. It’s American. Sorry that the Patriots win next week offends your “artistic” sensibilities.

50. Anybody with the balls to tell the commie media he voted for Trump has got my cheers for victory.

51. Thos Hagen says:

As a part of the vast right-winged conspiracy and a Chicago Bears fan, I fully support the Patriots and pray that someday the left-coast will sway right.

52. ‘POLL: Only 27% Of Americans Want PATRIOTS To Win SUPER BOWL…’

Which will make it all the sweeter when Tommy’s lifting up those trophies!……

53. No Bias here, None. You idiots mention Brady, Aaron Rogers and Cam Newton, Everyone except who is playing in Sundays Game,,, MATT RYAN!!! A HOLES!
    GO FALCONS!!!! Atlanta 177 New England 3.

54. Donald Welch says:

war on white males continues. when every qb in the nfl is black, they will switch over to coaches.

55. rytwinger says:

I’ll wager a much higher percentage of Americans would like to see the pathetic, putz filled media drop dead….

56. Mara Massey says:

Count them…there are 4, I said FOUR, Super Bowl Rings. Now they’re going for 5. Brady is the all time GREATEST QB EVAH!!

57. Don Lond says:

The poll reflect the common “king of the hill” effect. The urge to destroy greatness and support the underdog is part of our human deficiency after the fall. It’s called envy. Think of that old movie—“Damn Yankees.”

58. Don Lond says:

Personally I think this poll is …er….well…deflating.

59. I dont normally like the Patriots, but since the NFL has allowed itself to be come a political prostitute for whatever the cause du jour is, I am now a fan of Brady and the Patriots. I was not a huge Trump fan until I saw Liberaless Democrats lose their freaking mind…and anything making those people scatter and re-group like an anthill that’s just been kicked has got to be good, so now I’m a Trump/Patriots fan.

BUT, I’m happy to see a southeast team back in the mix too, although I have never been a big fan of Atlanta as a city…or even Georgia as a state.

Otherwise, the commercials for the game are usually pretty good. A shame GaGa is the performer, although she is very talented. But to me, football is a rock, R&B, Hip-Hop and country sport…or at least was. As shell of its former self capitulating to the wussy lobby these days, it makes sense they would go “Pop”…and a woman famous for wearing a dress made of raw meat…as a protest against meat…and the NFL has lost its “Meat”…so bring on the tofurkey and gluten free super bowl snacks, we’re having a party!

I never set an entire day aside for TV sports anymore. There are productive things to do, and professional sports are truly meaningless in life. At best…”idle entertainment”.

60. Any chance of a tie and neither team goes home with the Lombardi trophy. But seriously, Tom Brady is a lousy ambassador for the NFL and so is Belcha-check. They both lack humility and grace and act rather entitled. If there is a chance they aren’t going to come out on top they cheat. Unfortunate but maybe this has something to with the decline in NFL ratings.

61. This Iowan says GO PATS!!!!! Coach Bill gitter done!

62. Anti-racists say there is a RACE problem that can only be solved when the third world pours into EVERY White country and “assimilates.”

What if I said there was a RACE problem that could only be solved if hundreds of millions of non-Blacks were brought into EVERY Black country? How long before people realize I’m not talking about a RACE problem, but the conclusion to the BLACK problem?

They say they are anti-racist. What they are is anti-White.

Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-White.

63. Cam Kirmser says:

As a New Englander – even though I live in Texas – I declare the Patriots the winner of Superbowl LI.

Simple fact.

64. Stu Pedasso says:

Gee, that seems sort of…; er… ahhhhh….. UN-Patriot-ic. ; )

65. Joe Schuster says:

Another poll brought to you by the people who said “Hillary in a landslide!” LMFAO

66. A recent poll showed 97% of the people think polls are rigged and wrong 100% of the time.

67. Arguably the most idiot poll ever taken, maybe with the exception of the ‘most car accidents happen within 10 miles of ones home’

68. Nathan Burks says:

I dont have a dog in this fight, but Im rooting for the Pats…Trumpers stick together!!

69. Nathan Burks says:

Polls also said Hillary would win in a landslide

70. They hate us cuz they ain’t us … GO PATS!!!!!

71. Frank Garner says:

I’m a Falcons fan but if the Pats were playing anybody else I’d be for the Patriots. Love Belichick and Brady! Greatest Coach/QB combo in history. But Rise Up Falcons!

72. John Wilson says:

People still believe pollsters??

It takes a special kind of stupid to actually believe a poll like this.

73. John Lefever says:

Never liked Brady until I saw he didn’t go to Obama’s White House after their last Super Bowl and he is a friend of Trumps. Ends up, he is a good man!

74. What about the 85% of the country that doesnt give ash1t?

75. A lot of comments here about how the Pats are cheaters — but it’s obvious the posters don’t know what they are talking about. The league went after the Pats with the full support of the NYC-based national media, and branded the Pats as cheaters. The reality is the Pats rules infractions were relatively minor in the context of the entire league and what other teams have done. Casual fans believe the Pats had cameras in opposition locker rooms and filmed their practices. The media makes no effort to correct these unfounded beliefs. Instead, the media inflames the narrative by sensationalizing anything and everything about the Pats that can be tied to “cheating.”

76. Ted Kasa says:

I always root for New England when not playing the Giants leaving Eli as the only QB to better Brady in the SB. 18-1!

77. For the love of God …and the game! Please, referees…start calling offensive holding on the line of scrimmage. You have failed to do so all year! But your obsession with protecting Tom CRY-BRADY is utterly ridiculous. James Harrison of the Steelers was held virtually every passing down two weeks ago. So much, in fact, that his shoulder…( no doubt nearly dislocated by a 350 lb tackle clinging to him) forced the Steelers to drop him into pass coverage! STOP THE MADNESS. Brady is a big boy…he can take it! Maybe??

78. 73% of those polled, live in Central Georgia.

79. Goodell has a Hillary tattoo on his “waxed area”

80. John Woodhar says:

This is news. lmao its only an opinion. unfortuntately, this is called news these days. They ask so called wizards to comment on something and that is the news. look at msnbc. that’s all they have for news. just editorials.

1. And FoxNews is hard factual news, no editorials there, right?

81. Mark Couture says:

Its a freaking game people, a game. I will watch and hope the Patriots win but the world will not end if they don’t.

82. Karl Spencer says:

Wonder if this poll is as accurate as the last Presidential polls…lol!

83. Poll didn’t ask me but I hope the Falcons win!
    I agree with mzstitch & her reply to her detractor.