Roger Goodell: ‘It Would Be An Honor’ To Hand Tom Brady The Lombardi Trophy

BOSTON (CBS) — One of the enduring storylines surrounding Tom Brady and the Patriots in the 2016 season, ever since the quarterback served a four-game suspension, is the idea of Roger Goodell having to hand the Lombardi Trophy or Super Bowl MVP award to Brady after the Patriots won the Super Bowl. What would the NFL commissioner do? How would he feel in such a situation?

Radio host Colin Cowherd asked Goodell that very question in a rare interview appearance by the commissioner on his show The Herd. From the perspective of most Patriots fans, having to hand the most coveted trophy in football over to Brady after everything they went through during the DeflateGate saga would make Goodell sick to his stomach. Would he feel uncomfortable?

“Not for a second,” said Goodell. “This is one of the great opportunities we have – two dominant teams playing in the Super Bowl. The Patriots and Falcons both earned the opportunity to be there, and whoever wins that championship is going to have to earn it.

“Tom Brady is one of the all-time greats; he has been for several years. He’s on the precipice of winning at least his fifth Super Bowl ring. It would be an honor.”

Goodell was also asked about why he did not go to Gillette Stadium for the AFC Championship Game between the Patriots and Steelers, instead opting to go to Atlanta for the second straight week to see the NFC Championship Game between the Falcons and Green Bay Packers. Cowherd asked Goodell if there were any safety concerns involved with avoiding Foxboro.

“No, Colin,” said Goodell. “Listen, we had two great games. I was in Boston two years ago for the divisional and the championship games. I try to get to as many stadiums as I can. But, you know, we had two great games and you have to choose. And frankly, the focus should be on the players, the coaches, and the great game, and that’s where it was this weekend and the way it should be.”

On his relationship with Patriots owner Robert Kraft, Goodell admitted that the two have had their differences in recent years – but that it’s simply part of doing business with each other.

“I wouldn’t be doing my job if somebody wasn’t unhappy with a decision that you make or where you’re doing it,” said Goodell. “Robert and I can disagree about things – we have a healthy respect for one another. But that’s true with any owner. That doesn’t impact my relationship or the fact that we work together to try to make the NFL better, ultimately.

“I can’t agree with everyone at every moment, and I shouldn’t. … It’s not personal, it’s professional, and it’s to make sure were doing everything to protect the great game we have and promote it.”

If Goodell really is feeling any discomfort over potentially handing trophies over to Brady, Kraft, or Bill Belichick, he will certainly keep it hidden.

Comments

1. highondeath says:

Maybe he’ll even leak some false statements about Brady at the same time?

Better still, maybe he could apologize for leaking false information about the number of balls that were underinflated and by how much? Or he could release the truth about the NFL investigations into air pressure in footballs during games?

Goodell = pathetic

2. Having Goodell be forced to hand the trophy to Brady is the only reason I will be for the Patriots. He could not have done more to light a fire under Brady if he tried.

3. This more or less shows that the game is already decided. Look for obviously missed calls that favor the Pats, and maybe even another “Tuck rule” call, if the game is close. It’s happened before, the game is rigged. #NFLCHEATS

1. Brian Smyth says:

Good Lord…you are such a crybaby.

4. Mark Ten says:

Even Godell knows he was wrong. He does not want to give Brady or anyone on the Pats anything.

Here is an article about the Miami Dolphis this year using a freezer to chill footballs in preparation for a game in very cold weather in Pittsburg.

5. Mark Daniels says:

Maybe Goodell ought to blow up Brady’s balls before he hands over a trophey

1. Don’t worry. Goodell will be on his knees one way or another. :D

6. chrismaya says:

I am a life-long Cowboys fan originally from Virginia but now living in the San Francisco Bay Area. Although I really wanted to see the Cowboys in the Super Bowl, I will be cheering on Tom Brady and the Patriots.

It’s not that I am a Patriots fan or that I hate the Falcons. I think that the Falcons are a great team with a great quarterback. However, Brady has something deep to prove and, in doing so, will do something that has never been done before — a fifth Super Bowl ring.

I would love love love to see Brady have a nearly perfect game to shut the mouths of imbeciles who argue that he purposely lowered the pressure of the balls for an “advantage.”

Brady ALREADY has an advantage — and that is his talent and skill. Brady has had a masterful season and his delivery of the ball is better than it has ever been. I’d love to see this continue in the Super Bowl and cement his status as the greatest QB that has ever played the game.

*As a Trump voter, I’d love to see Brady mention the president for the years of support too. That would be one last dagger into the hearts of the naysayers.

1. chrismaya says:

By “something that has never been done before,” I am referring to a fifth Super Bowl ring for a starting QB.

7. Billy Black says:

I hate to pop Goodell’s bubble but this ain’t going to happen! The Falcons will beat the Patriots! Falcons 28 Patriots 17 This game will rest in the hands of the Falcon defense which will shutdown Brady & the Patriot offense.

8. And that is why Matt Ryan will win the trophy and the superbowl. GO FALCONS!

9. Everyone now knows that Goodell is a world-class, vindictive liar. Only an idiot believes this overpaid, delusionally self-important jerk….