Keller @ Large: Superhero Costumes Next Target Of PC Police?

BOSTON (CBS) – It isn’t easy being a student on a politically-correct college campus these days.

So many rules to keep track of about what you can and can’t – mostly can’t – say and do.

Take the upcoming Super Bowl of on-campus holidays, Halloween.

As you know, two faculty members at Yale were bullied by a mob of little PC police last year for the crime of suggesting it might be OK for students to wear Halloween costumes that someone on campus might find inappropriate. “Is there no room anymore for a child or young person to be a little bit obnoxious?” one of them wrote.

Clearly it is OK at Yale – as long as it’s the right kind of obnoxiousness.

But better brace yourselves. There is surely another vicious PC backlash coming if college kids pick up on the latest trend in Halloween getups for kids.

According to the National Retail Federation, the princess costume has been ousted as the most popular kids’ Halloween attire. The new champion: superheroes, male, female and animal.

Uh-oh, I smell trouble coming.

Why, we can’t have students dressing up as Superman – talk about your white male privilege!

Batman is no better. The Bat Signal is pure environmental pollution, and I seriously doubt the Batmobile meets current EPA emissions standards.

Supergirl? Patronizing and sexist in that leotard.

Spiderman? Insectist.

Green Hornet? With the Asian sidekick, are you kidding me? Major trigger warning!!

No, this problem is going to get worse before it gets better.

Time to change the holiday slogan – to trick, or retreat.

Listen to Jon’s commentary:

More from Jon Keller

1. bees_knees_6 says:

2. Derp says:

My kids go as Jon Keller, closeted road rager with a bad moustache.

3. bex says:

Wait. Is this is preemptive complaining about possible future complaining? People complained a year ago and you’re still whining about it? Here’s how an adult handles criticism: I listen to the complaints and evaluate if I’m really harming someone. If I am I stop and apologize, if I’m not I tell them that though they might not like it, I’m allowed to be uncouth and then I IGNORE THEM. I don’t moan about how they found my actions objectionable for a year.

4. mikey says:

For Halloween I’m thinking all the PC police should go as they are.. idiots.

1. The Owl says:

That would be a step up for them.

1. mikey says: