Keller @ Large: Trump Loses Latino Support

BOSTON (CBS) — Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump’s campaign has been touting a “softening” of his tone on immigration issues, and his well-received appearance alongside Mexico’s president Wednesday afternoon seemed to be part of that tactical change.

But the “new” Trump tone didn’t last very long, says WBZ political analyst Jon Keller, with Wednesday night’s speech at a rally in Phoenix sounding more harsh than ever.

That was too much even for the pro-Trump latinos of the National Hispanic Advisory Council for Trump, which held a widely-publicized meeting with the candidate just last month.

Several of them said today they are quitting the council in disgust over Trump’s remarks, including the head of a prominent organization of conservative latinos.

“He gave the impression, the campaign gave the impression until yesterday morning, that he was going to deal with the undocumented in a compassionate way,” said Alfonso Aguilar of the Latino Partnership for Conservative Principle on CNN Thursday. “And in that speech he’s basically saying, we deport you or we self-deport you, it’s even worse than he initially proposed.”

Another member of the council called the group a “scam.”

On the plus side for Trump, his return to the immigration red meat has excited his core supporters–but they were all set to vote for him anyway.

These defections are a sign he may have squandered several weeks’ worth of efforts to broaden that support.

More from Jon Keller
Comments

1. LISTENING TO KELLER IS WHAT BROUGHT THE USA INTO 20 TRILLION DEBT; DEPLETED MILITARY, VETS TRASHED LIKE PIGS AT THE VA, AND HILARY W/O CUFFS…..A LIBERAL FOLLOWER OF COOK BOOK INDIAN HE PICKS UP HIS CHECK BY SELLING YOU THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE….TIGHTEN THAT BOW TIE TELLER IT MIGHT HELP YOU THINK….A MA DISGRACE WITH A TWO MIKES ONE ON THE TABLE AND ON HAVING NO IDEA WHAT TO DO IF GOD FORBID A WIFE WAS RAPED…..BUSH 41 DID….!

1. ELaw says:

Tying in all caps doesn’t make what you write any more true.

2. Freer Huguenot says:

Wow…Jordy knows how to yell when leaving comments online (ALL CAPS). Now if only he could learn to write coherently as well as using correct sentence structure. Alas, I think we are asking too much of Jordy. He obviously displays typical right wing conservative limitations in his ability to reason. If nothing else, I hope Jordy’s rant released some of his inner hostilities.

2. tony says:

I would love to know what most legal immigrants believe should be done about illegal immigrants who didn’t follow the process that they did? I think this would be a great topic for Mr. Keller to explore.

1. bees_knees_6 says:

I know of folks who came here illegally and then went through channels. They are all significant contributors to this country….two in the 1%.

3. ELaw says:

Any attempt Trump makes to not look like a jerk will eventually fail… because he’s a jerk.

4. mstarvin says:

So where will all these Latinos go when the US becomes a third-world cesspool????

5. paul dowd says:

Who will pick the fruits and vegetables from the fields for pennies after Trump deports millions of immigrants? Who will weed the gardens and cut the lawns? Americans? Clean bathrooms and make beds for a few dollars a day? Mix mortar and haul bricks? Thats backbreaking work. Trump doesn’t know who will be willing to do all that work.

1. bees_knees_6 says:

Well, the Latinos mstarvin referred to will be gone because we will indeed become a third world cesspool.

Seriously (although I’m a bit afraid that might be serious), no one. Americans do not want to do the backbreaking work. They do an inferior job when they attempt to do it. This in turn of course hurts our products and our economy.

On the aside, did you notice he spent two hours in another country and already created an international incident. Can you imagine what it will be like if he were president. That is, of course, if the countries will allow him access. Several already do not want him within their borders.

2. hammerhead says:

you mean the jobs Americans used to do before Illegals came in and undercut them?
      i used to do some of those jobs when i was a kid,

1. bees_knees_6 says:

And yet you no longer do them as is the case with most Americans.

I mean these jobs. Years change, facts do not.

6. bees_knees_6 says:

Trump was never going to get Latino support. How would he or anyone else think otherwise. And now he has scripted responses (leaked) to questions he will be asked when he actually faces the black community with his love and sympathy. Yep, that’ll work well. Because you see, he thinks every one of these non-white male groups are stupid and will immediately fall in line. After all he has already proven his statement about his current supporters not leaving him if he were to shoot someone. They can’t be shaken so on to others he can mesmerize with his charm.

1. mstarvin says:

LOL bees you crack me up. You seem to be solidly planted in Hillary’s backside even though she has been caught lying, cheating and stealing. Yeah no Americans want these jobs…keep clicking your heels Dorothy and repeating that. Just like Americans didn’t want manufacturing jobs so we shipped them to China and India…..you are clueless!! And WOW you know a Latino who is a one percenter…wow that MUST mean that all the others are just fine too….are you a heavy drinker??? You seem to have alcoholic logic..

1. bees_knees_6 says:

Let me show you how this works. I have repeatedly said that HRC’s lies and avoidance bother me but then this topic is about Trump, isn’t it, and you are diverting. I understand when it comes to Trump that his supporters must divert to justify. Yet you and owl seem to conveniently miss that I do not like Clinton. I was a Bernie supporter…..another fact that I have made very clear. Now, to show you how it works…..whereas I have stated numerous times problems I have with Clinton, I have yet to see you speak one word in opposition to Trump so I’d say it is you planted in a backside.

And I figured that the facts about Americans not wanting to do the jobs that migrants perform would be ignored by you. Facts, after all, are inconvenient if you want to follow Trump (and in many cases Hillary).

Please show me where I said I know a Latino that is in the 1%……speaking of alcoholic logic.

You must have taken the same reading comprehension course Owl took….if in fact you are not Owl or one of his owlettes.

2. mstarvin says:

To quote you….so are you trying to say that you know some illegals who are not Latino??

bees_knees_6
      September 2, 2016 at 8:28 am

1. bees_knees_6 says:

No idea what is tripping spam but basis of my comment was that you had a second change and still got it wrong. I never mentioned nationality because no one I know of who was here illegally was latino. Do you honestly believe all here illegally are Latino?

Enjoy your happy hour.

7. mstarvin says:

Ah well you must live the really good part of Cambridge then….like most liberals claim to be for the poor illegals….as long as they are not in your neighborhood …

1. bees_knees_6 says:

Awwww your little psyche was hurt. And there you go lumping people together but then your fuhrer has taught you well . Never did live in Cambridge but do enjoy visiting. Was raised in the then very conservative town of Belmont. And I am an independent. I’d still be a republican if my party had not shifted out from under me. I do see you learned nothing from the 10:01 lesson but then I didn’t think you would.

1. mstarvin says:

Even better the ultra-white Belmont…the only Latinos you encounter are cutting the neighbors lawn. Seriously you don’t know sh1t about illegal immigration until you live in a town where you have to deal with these illegals. Like I previously stated….as long as they don’t live near you of course you are pro-amnesty. It send tingles up your liberal leg to support something you know nothing about….