MIDDLEBORO (CBS) — A Middleboro grandfather is getting a lot of praise for his quick actions Sunday morning that saved his grandson’s life.
Ken Baker was mowing his lawn when a neighbor came running, alerting Baker to the fire. He jumped off the tractor and raced into the house to get 15-year-old Bobby, who has special needs.
“My main concern was getting my grandson, Bobby, out of the house,” said Baker.
Baker says the smoke was blinding and he had to yell to Bobby to find him. A neighbor also went into the house and the two helped drag Bobby outside. Baker says he’s grateful he reached Bobby in time.
“I don’t know how he didn’t pass out because before I got out to the door, I was already getting light-headed,” he said.
The fire heavily damaged the Middleboro home. The Bakers have lost nearly all of their belongings.
The Red Cross is helping out and some teachers are raising money to buy Bobby new clothes. The family says the fire started when the teenager was playing with a blow torch.