Red Sox Announce Ceremonies For Fenway Opener
BOSTON (CBS) — The Red Sox will open their home portion of the 2014 season on Friday, with plenty of festivities scheduled at Fenway Park.
Of course, the team will receive their 2013 World Series rings prior to their game against the Milwaukee Brewers. But as has been the case the last two times Boston received their new bling, there is plenty scheduled for the ceremony, which will begin at 1pm.
PHOTOS: Red Sox Ring Ceremonies
The team announced the following on Thursday:
– The ceremonies will include a moment of silence in tribute to Lieutenant Edward J. Walsh and Firefighter Michael R. Kennedy, who perished last week when a 9-alarm fire raged through a Back Bay home a mile and a half from Fenway Park. The firefighters were from the station on Boylston Street that also protects the ballpark.
– The singing of God Bless America in the middle of the seventh inning will be performed by the Boston Fire Department Quartet.
– The Dropkick Murphys, along with Keith Lockhart conducting members of the Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra, will perform during the ceremonies.
– Members of the Hanscom Airforce Base military will line the length of the Green Monster wall as the American flag drops for the anthem.
– The United States Coast Guard will fly a MH-60T helicopter over Fenway at the conclusion of the national anthem.
– In honor of the 2013 championship, players will wear special gold-trimmed Red Sox jerseys with gold stitching around the World Series Championship patch on the left sleeve, and around the letters and numbers on the front and back of the jersey.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Doug Cope reports
– Fenway Park gates will open at 11:35 am, 2 ½ hours before the first pitch.
MORE SPORTS COVERAGE FROM CBS BOSTON
- AP Sources: Tom Brady’s Appeal Won’t Be Heard By Wednesday
- Joe Kelly Allows 7 Runs As Sox Lose Series Opener In Minnesota
- NFL Player Ray McDonald Arrested On Suspicion Of Domestic Violence, Child Endangerment
- Robb: Isaiah Thomas Could Be Valuable Recruiting Tool For Celtics