Ammonia Leak Forces Evacuation In Norton Thursday Morning
NORTON (CBS) – An ammonia leak on South Worcester Street in Norton forced residents and businesses to evacuate Thursday morning.
Firefighters showed up at the former Hallsmith-Sysco building, which is currently leased by Preferred Freezer Services to find a plume of smoke in the area.
Fire officials were able to determine that the plume was a result of a leak in an ammonia tank behind the building.
Police and fire crews went door-to-door in nearby neighborhoods, and reverse 911 calls were sent out.
Some 80 students and staff at the New Testament School were evacuated and taken to the Yelle Elementary School for shelter.
The ammonia leak was contained quickly.
Residents were allowed back in once the area was deemed safe again.
No injuries or symptoms were reported from the incident.
MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON