Gresh & Zo: Is Jack Nicklaus’ Major Total Now Safe From Tiger Woods?
BOSTON (CBS) – Tiger Woods just underwent back surgery, and at four major tournaments away from tying “The Golden Bear” Jack Nicklaus, the odds of catching him get slimmer by the day.
Tiger Woods announced yesterday that he’ll be out indefinitely because of the procedure. This means he’ll miss The Masters and likely a few other major tournaments this year as well. So does this mean Jack Nicklaus’ major total won’t ever be broken? Gresh, Zo and Hardy discuss Woods’ legacy.
Gresh went as far as to say that Tiger was once, “The biggest athlete in the world,” and it surprised him that he never returned to that form after his off-the-course scandal. He went on to ask an interesting question.
“Have we gone completely full circle with Tiger? … Has it gotten to the point where we’re rooting for him to get back to where he once was?”
Resident head of the 98.5 Golf Club, Hardy, rejected the notion of Woods being seen in this light. “It’s hard to think of him as an underdog when he has more majors in history than anyone other than Jack Nicklaus.”
He went on to point out that he was last year’s PGA Tour Player Of The Year, he’s not even 40, and he’s only a few tournaments away from becoming the winningest golfer of all-time.
The guys went on to discuss life with and without Tiger, Hank Haney, his training regiment, and whether or not they wanted to see Woods finish the job and break Nicklaus’ record, listen below:
MORE SPORTS FROM CBS BOSTON
- Floyd Mayweather: “What I’ll Miss Most Is All The Jealous Haters”
- Here’s How Players Around The NFL Reacted To Tom Brady’s Overturned Suspension
- Hurley: If You’re Still Hung Up On Tom Brady Being Guilty, You Are An Idiot
- Tony Massarotti Fields Fan Mail In Wake Of DeflateGate Decision
- Inside BC Football: Addazio Explains ‘Power Of Unity’ Mantra
- Reggie Wayne Happy For Brady, But Focused On Getting Ready For Week 1