NEWTON (CBS) — A wild chase that started in Haverhill has ended with one person in custody. Police say the chase ended in Bedford and 28-year-old Donald Hall of Everett was arrested and faces multiple charges.

Haverhill Police say a man was approached at gunpoint and ordered to hand over his keys at a Tedeschi’s Food Mart late Sunday night. The victim was able to flee the scene without giving up his keys.

Then, at 2:28 a.m., Haverhill Police received a separate 911 call from the area of Arch St which is nearby the first scene, where Hector Vasquez and his girlfriend said they were approached by a white male approximately 6 feet tall. “He asked for directions,” Vasquez says. “He like grabbed her hand and he pulled her. So right when he did that I ran all the way around the car, and he pulled the gun on me.”

The suspect threatened the two with a handgun and forced them from their vehicle. The suspect was successful in this carjacking and fled the area in the victim’s car.

According to Newton Police, that same car wound up crashed on Ashmont Road in Newton around 5:30 a.m. Police believe the suspect took off on foot from that crash.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Lana Jones reports

Around 1 p.m., police responded to Lincoln Street where a man stole a set of car keys from a woman’s home. “He said I just sideswiped both of your cars outside,” Antoinette Stewart says. He took her keys and walked outside toward her black Acura. “I said ‘what are you doing?’ He lifted up his shirt and he had a gun and he says ‘don’t give me any trouble.'”

A short time later, that car was involved in a crash at Washington and Watertown streets in Newton, about a half-block from the police station. The driver then took off in another car.

Police say the only shots fired were from a police officer as the car driven by the suspect was approaching the officer. Police do not know if the suspect or the car were struck.

The car was then driven to Billerica.

A Toyota Tundra was carjacked in Billerica and the suspect allegedly shot at police officers who returned fire. The suspect crashed the truck into a tree in Concord, outside a RiteAid Pharmacy.

The suspect then allegedly carjacked a a Ford Flex, according to authorities.

According to Hanscom Air Force Base, the suspect was being pursued by local police when he drove toward the base’s Vandenburg Gate and was met by security.

The suspect then turned the vehicle around and took off, never making it onto the base. Hanscom says no shots were fired at the suspect.

The chase ended when the suspect crashed the car into a telephone pole. According to police, the use of spike strips and the maneuver called a precision immobilization technique, helped bring the situation to an end. Police found a firearm in the car.

Hall was taken into custody in Bedford. He was brought to the hospital with serious but non life-threatening injuries. He will likely be arraigned in his hospital bed Tuesday morning.


Comments (2)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s