BOSTON (CBS) – With Andy Gresh out, Mike Flynn joined Scott Zolak for Monday’s show. The guys opened the lunch time hour talking about the New York Jets, and their recent signing of controversial quarterback Michael Vick.
Right off the bat Zo said, “I think Mike Vick is the starter day one, period.”
Starting Vick would mean that the incumbent Geno Smith would have to take a backseat, potentially stunting his development. Smith started all sixteen games for New York in his rookie season after being a second round pick. Flynn pointed out that he took his lumps in his rookie season, and had his growing pains, but also had some impressive wins.
Bringing Vick in would likely lead to a regression in Smith, a guy that the Jets seemed to be grooming to become their franchise quarterback last season. Flynn looked forward to life after Vick, and pointed out with Smith, “Three years in, the kid has to start from scratch again.”
However, if the Jets are serious about trying to win now, Vick could propel them into the playoffs. With Smith at the helm last season the team finished 8-8, just missing the postseason. The consensus was that with Vick under center they could have won at least two more games, and finished 10-6 and in the Wild Card round. They don’t think he’s making the Jets a Super Bowl team, but they would be more competitive.
There are also rumors that New York is trying to being in DeSean Jackson, a move that would also highlight a win-now mentality rather than trying to plan for the future.
Flynn seemed to sum the Jets planning best, saying the “Long term thinking of the Jets always makes you scratch your head.”
You can listen to the entire segment below:
MORE SPORTS FROM CBS BOSTON
- Rob Gronkowski Working On Preserving Himself, Knowing To Get Down ‘When The Journey Is Done’
- Mookie Betts, Jackie Bradley Jr., Dustin Pedroia All Named Finalists For Gold Glove Awards
- Dion Lewis Practices With Patriots For First Time Of 2016 Season
- Boomer Between The Games: Week 8 Preview With Brian Jones
- Ben Roethlisberger Geeks Out Over Tom Brady, Asks For His Jersey [VIDEO]
- Former BC Football Player Max Holloway Killed In Crash