BOSTON (CBS) – The Patriots got what they wanted early Wednesday evening: A strong, durable corner to lock down half of the field.
When you compare corners Darrelle Revis and Aqib Talib, as good as Aqib is, he’s no Darrelle.
Revis has played five 16-game seasons over his seven-year NFL career. In his seven NFL seasons, Talib has not played one.
Revis is a three-time All-Pro and the best at his position. While Talib had his best seasons here in New England, both finished with him being on the sidelines and not helping the Pats finish off a playoff game.
As for the money, had the Patriots franchised Talib, it would have cost them about the same amount that they are paying Revis.
So on the field, the Patriots have upgraded. Revis can cover the smaller, quicker receivers that Talib had trouble with and can also cover the bigger, stronger receivers that were able to push Talib around.
This upcoming season the Pats will see big-name receivers Calvin Johnson, Jordy Nelson, Reggie Wayne, Alshon Jeffery, A.J. Green and Cordarelle Patterson. All are big, strong wideouts that may have given Talib a problem — but now they’ll likely have a reservation for “Revis Island.”
Follow Levan Reid on Twitter @LevanReid.
MORE PATRIOTS COVERAGE FROM CBS BOSTON
- Patriots 2018 Schedule Leaked: New England Opens With Texans, Will Host Rodgers & Packers On SNF
- New Patriot Troy Niklas Raced Across Country For Birth Of Daughter After His Free Agent Meeting
- Bill Belichick’s New Puppy Also Wears Cutoff Hoodies
- Tom Brady Would Reportedly Like To Rework Contract With Patriots, But Not A Pressing Issue
- Rob Gronkowski Buys A Stake In Horse Named ‘Gronkowski’
- Report: Brady Planning To Work Out With Patriots Teammates Ahead Of Training Camp