BOSTON (CBS) – It’s Monday, January 27th 2014, pitchers and catchers report to spring training two weeks from Saturday and Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is once again bringing up contract talks.
Ortiz is coming off a historic postseason run that saw him win a third World Series and his first fall classic MVP award.
He is currently signed through the 2014 season after inking a two-year, $26 million deal last November, but apparently he’d like more long term security in Boston or else he might dart for greener pastures.
Ortiz On Sports Final: Hopefully I Won’t Have To Wear Another Uniform
Jon Wallach gets where Big Papi is coming from, but from a business (and baseball) perspective, it’s smart to let him play out the year and make a decision come November.
“I understand Ortiz’s point of view: ‘I lit it up during the World Series and had one of the best World Series for a hitter ever, and you’re going to treat me this way?’ He wants security, he wants to stay here and he feels disrespected for not having this conversation already.”
“My point of view is you’re getting much older and every other hitter your age has fallen off. [If I’m the Red Sox] I’m playing percentages here. I’m willing to go year-to-year with you,” said Wallach.
“I don’t like this about athletics: it wasn’t something that he signed and then way surpassed what they expected of him. Just a year ago you signed a two-year deal and you’re bitching about being in the last year of your contract? That doesn’t make any sense to me,” said Fred Toucher.
Fred worries that Ortiz will be a distraction the entire season as he obsesses about a new contract. Wallach references other players like Edgar Martinez and Vladimir Guerrero, and how there really isn’t a precedent for aging sluggers and how to approach their contracts.
Listen below for the full discussion:Comments (2)