BOSTON (CBS) – Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said he and guard Keith Bogans mutually agreed on the veteran’s dismissal from the team earlier this week.
Bogans was excused from the Celtics indefinitely on Tuesday, a decision both Ainge and Bogans agreed was for the best of the team and the player.
“It’s just been a difficult situation for Keith. When he was acquired in the (Brooklyn) deal he was paid handsomely and was very fortunate to come to our team with the contract he got,” Ainge told 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher & Rich on Thursday. “At the same time he’s a competitive guy and wants to play. There just wasn’t an opportunity for him to play with the logjam at the two-guard spot.”
The 33-year-old Bogans played in just six games this season, logging 55 minutes on the floor.
“He wasn’t happy and him and I both came to the conclusion that it was best for him to go home, spend some time with his 10-year-old son – which he hasn’t been able to do a lot in his career — and we’re just going to move on,” explained Ainge. “(We said) to stay ready in case we have injuries or a need for him to come back, but I think it’s better for the team and better for him to part ways at this time.”
Bogans was part of the Celtics blockbuster swap with the Brooklyn Nets over the summer, and signed a three-year, $15.9 million deal to make the trade work. Only the first year of the deal is guaranteed, with Bogans making $5.1 million this season, giving Boston a valuable trade asset during their current rebuilding process.
“It’s a unique situation,” said Ainge. “His value to us right now is the fact he has a non-guaranteed contract – for us, a chip at the trade deadline or a chip this summer — that has value around the league. We don’t want to release him or just let him go, we want to keep that chip as we are rebuilding our team.”
“Him and I mutually agreed that this was the best thing for him and the best thing for us.”