Ortiz Looking To Stay With Red Sox Beyond 2014
Red Sox CentralShop for Red Sox Gear
Buy Red Sox Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP/CBS) — World Series MVP David Ortiz says he hopes to renew his contract with the Boston Red Sox for another year.
The 38-year-old said in a news conference Wednesday in the Dominican Republic that he will keep playing as long as he feels physically healthy.
Ortiz won the World Series MVP award last month after reaching base in 11 of 16 at-bats with two home runs and six RBIs. He had a .309 average with 30 homers, 70 extra-base hits and 103 RBIs in 137 regular season games this past season.
The slugger is entering the final year of a two-year contract he signed with Boston last winter. Ortiz played one one-year contracts in 2011 and 2012, and lobbied for a multi-year extension in each of those seasons.
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
MORE SPORTS COVERAGE FROM CBS BOSTON