Carbon Monoxide Leak In Waltham Church Building Sends 17 CCD Students To Hospital

By Paul Burton, WBZ-TV

WALTHAM (CBS) — Children and parents had a brief Sunday morning scare after carbon monoxide levels were detected inside the Christian education building behind St. Mary’s Parish in Waltham.

Authorities say a boiler issue caused the CO leak.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Kim Tunnicliffe reports

Carbon Monoxide Leak In Waltham Church Sends 17 Students To Hospital

“On arrival we found carbon monoxide levels very high but there was no gas leak per say,” Deputy Waltham Fire Chief Michael Quinn said.

Parents quickly came to pick up their children.

“They were checking kids and kids were crying and started to feel badly,” Sunday school student Jennifer Timoteo said.

Many kids were scared.

“I felt dizzy, but when I got out of the building I was fine,” student Amber Castriotta said.

A total of 50 kids were evacuated.

Seventeen of them were taken to Newton-Wellesley Hospital as precautionary measure.

The gas company inspected the boilers. The incident is still under investigation. Fire officials are checking to see what caused the high carbon monoxide readings.

MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON
More from Paul Burton
Comments

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

Summer of Savings
Download Weather App
Taz Show

Listen Live