Wiring Short Blamed For South Boston Church Fire
BOSTON (AP) — Officials say an electrical short caused a five-alarm fire that heavily damaged a South Boston church and injured eight firefighters.
The Boston Fire Department said Thursday the problem arose in a ceiling light fixture in a vestibule behind the altar at St. John the Baptist Albanian Orthodox Church.
The fire broke out Wednesday morning and was brought under control about three hours later. It caused about $1 million in damage, collapsing part of the roof and heavily damaging the rear of the building.
Residents of another building behind the church remained evacuated because of concerns the rear of the church might collapse.
Church officials estimate it was built in the 1800s. The present congregation has used it for about 60 years.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.