Weather Alert Monday: Snow During Morning Commute | Forecast |

Officials: Fatal Salem Fire Was Accidental

SALEM (AP) — The state fire marshal and Salem fire chief say a weekend house fire that killed a Salem man was an accident.

Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said in a statement Tuesday that investigators found the fire started in the second-floor apartment between a desk and a closet, and may have been caused either by a candle or smoking materials. He said other possible causes were eliminated.

Fire Chief David Cody said there were no smoke alarms in the second-floor apartment, and alarms in the basement and first floor weren’t working.

Salem Fire Capt. Alan Dionne said earlier that 53-year-old Michael Lyness owned the three-story Beacon Street home and lived in the second floor unit where firefighters found his body early Sunday morning. A tenant on the first floor escaped.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

Download Our App
Download Weather App

Listen Live