NEWwbztv-small wbz-am-small 985-small mytv38web2

Local

UNH: Corrosion Cause Of Hot Water Pipe Failure That Injured Three Students

View Comments
UNH police respond to a dormitory where three students suffered burns Saturday.

UNH police respond to a dormitory where three students suffered burns Saturday.

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

DURHAM, N.H. (CBS) – A hot water pipe failure outside a University of New Hampshire dormitory that injured three students Saturday afternoon was the result of corrosion to the pipe that took place over an undetermined amount of time, UNH reported Sunday.

The burst hot water pipe filled a floor of Hunter Hall with hot water and three female students suffered third-degree burns on their feet while evacuating the building. The students remained hospitalized Sunday, according to a prepared statement from the university.

The pipe that delivers hot water to the building for the heating system is located under a pipe that delivers hot water for sinks and showers. Officials believe the lower pipe, which is several decades old, had been slowly leaking for some time, continuously spraying hot water on the second larger and newer pipe, corroding the exterior and causing premature failure.

Maintenance crews repaired the two hot water pipes leading into the building Sunday and heat was returned to Hunter, Gibbs and Engelhardt halls, known as the lower quad, shortly after 3 p.m. Sunday afternoon.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus