NEWwbztv-small wbz-am-small 985-small mytv38web2

Local

Three UNH Students Suffer Burns From Steam Pipe Burst In Dorm

View Comments

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

DURHAM, N.H. (CBS/AP) — The University of New Hampshire says three students were hurt and a residence hall was evacuated Saturday because of a burst hot water pipe.

At about 2:30 p.m. Saturday, a hot water pipe broke outside Hunter Hall, a UNH residence hall that houses approximately 115 students. Three female students suffered what are believed to be third-degree burns to their feet when the hot water damaged a small section of the first-floor hallway and four rooms.

The three students, who were burned while exiting the building, were taken to local hospitals – one to Portsmouth Regional Hospital and two to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital – then transferred to Boston hospitals, according to a prepared statement from the hospital.

Hunter Hall was evacuated until 6 p.m., when students were allowed to return.

Hunter, Gibbs and Engelhardt halls, known as the lower quad at UNH, will have hot water overnight but not heat. Heaters will be set up in the building and workers are expected to repair the broken pipe Sunday.

“I was devastated to learn three of our students suffered serious burns when this pipe failed,” UNH President Mark Huddleston said in the prepared statement. “We have reached out to their families and will provide whatever assistance we can to help them through this difficult time.”

(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,032 other followers