BOSTON (CBS) – April 6, 2013 is going to be a day that some lottery winners have been waiting for nearly eight years; the Massachusetts State Lottery has finally announced the date for the long-awaited $10 million Hold’Em Poker tournament.
The lottery’s Hold’Em Poker scratch ticket launched back in 2005, and instead of up-front cash, winners would all receive the chance to participate in a tournament for the grand prize.
The lottery said it needed a total of 560 scratch winners in order to hold the tournament, which will be at the TD Garden, which happened only recently because of poor ticket sales.
Participants in the tournament will walk out with anywhere between $2,000 and $10 million.
A lottery press release noted that “players who were selected as participants, but are unable to attend the tournament will be able to send representatives in their place.”
Lottery records from earlier this month show four winners have died during the long wait.
Nick Zeogas is among the winners who thought they’d pass away before the tournament ever took place.
“I said if I die, then what? They said, ‘well you won’t need the money,’” he told WBZ NewsRadio 1030 back in April of 2012.