Dooling Won’t Be Returning To Celtics This Season
Celtics CentralShop for Celtics Gear
Buy Celtics Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
BOSTON (CBS) – Those hoping the Celtics would fill out their roster with veteran guard Keyon Dooling can move on to a new target.
Dooling let everyone know he would not be returning to the basketball court this season on Wednesday afternoon via Twitter:
Please don't be sad everyone. You never know what the future holds for me just know that I am pushing hard for each and everyone of you!!—
Keyon Dooling (@AmbassadorKD) January 30, 2013
Tracy’s Take: Addition By Subtraction?
A 12-year veteran, Dooling manned the Celtics bench during the 2011-12 season, averaging 4.0 points over 46 games. But he was far more important in the locker room, where he earned the nickname “Reverend Dooling” for his inspirational speeches.
Dooling re-signed with Boston in the off-season, but abruptly retired in September. He later rejoined the team as a player development coordinator.
The Celtics have plenty of guards with Avery Bradley, Courtney Lee, Leandro Barbosa and Jason Terry, but were looking for some more veteran guard play after losing Rajon Rondo for the season to an ACL injury.
Read: Celtics-Kings Preview
Head coach Doc Rivers said earlier in the week he had spoken to Dooling about a potential comeback, though the 32-year-old was out of basketball shape.
Bringing Dooling back would have been a decent addition to the team, as he is familiar with the system and wouldn’t have to start at square one. Rivers said he would want to add a veteran that knew the system rather than someone he would have give a crash course over the season’s final months.
With Rondo out, Lee and Bradley are expected to be the two starting guards in the Celtics back court.