Wakefield Sex Abuse Suspect Was Investigated In The Past
WAKEFIELD (CBS/AP) – A man accused of preying on more than a dozen young children had been investigated in the past.
Prosecutors said Thursday that John Burbine of Wakefield abused more than a dozen children through a child care service operated by his wife from 2010 to 2012.
WBZ-TV learned on Friday that after being convicted of indecent assault and battery involving a child in 1989, Burbine was investigated in 2005 and 2009 for sexual abuse of children in his wife’s care.
Also in 2009, the state learned the Burbines were running an unlicensed day care here.
WBZ-TV asked Dept. of Early Education and Care Commissioner Sherri Killins why more wasn’t done then.
“There isn’t follow up after that because we assume people know the law,” she said.
In the meantime, Gov. Deval Patrick says he continues to support making the identities of lower-level sex offenders available to the public.
Burbine was classified as a Level 1 sex offender after his 1989 conviction. Level 1 offenders are considered the least likely to re-offend.
Legislation Patrick filed last year would have made information on Level 1 offenders available to the public instead of just the police, but the bill never came up for a vote.
Patrick on Friday reiterated his support for making Level 1 identities public.
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)