BOSTON (CBS) – A judge has decided to delay the trial of James “Whitey” Bulger until June 6, 2013.
The trial was originally scheduled to begin this month. A judge pushed it to March 6 after Bulger’s lawyer requested a delay, citing an overwhelming amount of documents that he needed to sort through in the case.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Bernice Corpuz reports
His lawyer, J.W. Carney, pleaded with the judge to delay the trial until November 2013 claiming the defense needs more time to prepare for the high profile case. Bulger is accused of murdering 19 people.
Carney says, “We accept the judge’s decision, and we will do everything in our power to be ready for the June 6 trial date.”
Bulger is expected to testify in the case about his claim that he had been granted immunity.
Victims’ family members have attempted to argue against any delay.
“He doesn’t have too much time. He should’ve been gone a long time ago,” Steve Davis told WBZ-TV after Bulger was recently hospitalized for chest pains.
“The longer you wait, the longer for justice to be served,” Davis said Friday.
Patricia Donahue, whose husband was allegedly killed by Bulger, is also disappointed with the delay. “I want to hear what he has to say,” she says. “I want to make sure he stays healthy until the trial.”
Timmy Connors, whose father was allegedly killed by Bulger says he is happy the delay is only three months, not the eight months that was requested.
WBZ-TV’s Karen Anderson contributed to this report.