Shaughnessy On Gresh & Zo: Torii Hunter An Option For Red Sox?
The Boston Globe’s Dan Shaughnessy joined Gresh & Zo for his weekly visit on Tuesday with a whole lot of Red Sox on the mind.
After signing David Ortiz to a two-year, $26 million deal on Monday, the Red Sox can now set their sights on outfielder Cody Ross.
Reports say Ross wants a three-year, $25 million deal, which the Red Sox have yet to offer. Can we expect to see Ross back in a Red Sox uniform next season?
It’s going to go higher than they want because they got him on such a bargain last year,” said Shaughnessy. “He came in, had a good year and can parlay that to a three-year deal elsewhere… my guess is he ends up getting overpaid for a longer term somewhere else.”
Gallery: Red Sox Offseason Targets
Even if Ross comes back, the Red Sox are still in need of more help in the outfield. Torii Hunter is now a free agent, and although people will bring up the fact he is 37-years-old, Shaughnessy thinks the nine-time gold glover would be a solid fit in Boston at the right price.
“Everybody is going to bring up Mike Cameron, but Mike Cameron fell apart physically,” he said in regards to Hunter. “He’s a great guy, a great clubhouse presence and an everyday player. I’d love him.”
Jacoby Ellsbury will become a free agent after the season, but Shaughnessy says this winter is the time to move him — because there is no way Ellsbury comes back to Boston after next season.
“I talked to Scott Boras at the World Series; he’s gone. This is it. They need to trade him now,” said Shaughnessy. “I don’t think they’re going to compete seriously next year, so why have him?”
Do you agree with Shaughnessy? Is now the time to trade Ellsbury? Sound off in the comments section!