NEWwbztv-small wbz-am-small 985-small mytv38web2

Local

RI Nightclub Fire Victim Receives Mass General’s First Hand Transplant

View Comments
A survivor of the Rhode Island nightclub fire has become Mass General Hospital's first hand transplant recipient.

A survivor of the Rhode Island nightclub fire has become Mass General Hospital’s first hand transplant recipient.

CBS Boston (con't)

Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSBoston.com/ACA

Health News & Information: CBSBoston.com/Health

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
Featured Content

 

BOSTON (CBS) – A survivor of the Rhode Island nightclub fire has become Mass General Hospital’s first hand transplant recipient.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030′s Mark Katic reports

Joe Kinan suffered massive burns over his entire body in the nightclub fire and lost both of his hands.

A team of surgeons recently transplanted a left hand, giving Kinan a start toward a more normal life.

Dr. Curtis Cetrulo says hands are a delicate transplant.

“There are nerves and tendons, but you also need to provide a blood flow in and out of the extremities,” Cetrulo said. “So we sort of knock down those things one at a time.”

Kinan was released from the hospital on Friday. He still has months of therapy ahead of him, but is optimistic.

“It feels pretty good,” he said. “I’m confident that everything that has been done will continue to go smooth.”

Dr. Cetrulo says doctors will monitor Kinan to ensure his body doesn’t reject the hand but expects it to be fully functional.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus