BOSTON (CBS) – The blockbuster deal between the Boston Red Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers is done, the Red Sox announced on Saturday.
The trade sends first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Nick Punto – as well as cash – out from Boston to LA.
Early Saturday morning both Beckett and Crawford waived their no trade clauses, and the two teams went over the medical data for all those involved.
The Red Sox will receive first baseman James Loney, infielder Ivan DeJesus, Jr., right hander Allen Webster, and two players to be named later.
“To be the team that we need, that the fans deserve, that we want, required more of a bold move,” said Red Sox GM Ben Cherington.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Mark Katic With Dan Roche
It was reported earlier that Rubby De La Rossa and Jerry Sands would be included in the deal, but they were not mentioned in the official announcement.
It also appears that the Dodgers will pay most — if not all — of the $260 million owed to Gonzalez, Crawford and Beckett, basically letting the Red Sox hit the restart button. They are now out of the massive contracts they signed Gonzalez and Crawford to just last winter, and rid themselves of a clubhouse headache that Beckett had become.
Red Sox GM Ben Cherington Announces Deal
It’s a very bold move by a team that needed some kind of shake-up. It puts a fork in the 2012 season, finally, but sets the Red Sox up to move in a different direction going forward.
“We recognized that we are not who we want to be right now,” said Red Sox GM Ben Cherington. “It has been a large enough sample of performance going back to last year, that we felt in order to be the team that we want to be on the field we needed to make more than cosmetic changes.”