Cape Shark Bite Survivor: ‘Don’t Be An Easy Meal’
BOSTON (CBS) – The man who was bitten by a Great White Shark off Cape Cod earlier this week said he’s doing “quite terrific” under the circumstances.
Chris Myers was body surfing with his son J.J. off Ballston Beach in Truro Monday afternoon when he was bitten in both legs beneath the knees.
He was rushed to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston where he’s been recovering and is currently listed in good condition.
In an interview from the hospital Wednesday morning, Myers told “Good Morning America” he and his son were trying to get out to a sand bar about 400-to-500 yards off shore when he was bitten.
“I heard him scream and I turned around and I saw kind of the back and the fin of the shark up out of water and you know at that point it hit me that it was happening,” J.J. Myers said.
“But at the same time, I felt like none of it was real. The shark almost looked too much like a shark. It all seemed too real and it just really seemed like a movie. Really none of it seemed real until I was on the beach,” he said. “It was a good-sized shark.”
“We really didn’t have a whole lot of options and we were very motivated, so we swam hard,” Chris Myers said.
“I was thinking as I was swimming… my lungs were fine, my kick was fine, but I was starting to feel kind of dizzy, and wondering if I was losing blood. I knew I had been bit pretty bad. So my only concern was – would I be able to make it back to shore? But we were able to do it.”
“His injuries looked bad, but it could have been so much worse,”J.J. said.
So will Chris Myers go back in the water when he recovers?
“I might try swimming a little closer to shore,” he said.
“I’ve been swimming at that beach ever since I was a little kid,” he added.
The last confirmed Great White shark attack on Cape Cod happened back in 1936.
“Our odds are still pretty good, but maybe people need to be a little more careful than I was,” Chris said.
He wrapped up the interview with a final message.
“Don’t be an easy meal.”