4th Of July Forecast: Thunderstorms Possible
BOSTON (CBS) – This week will undoubtedly be one of the most popular vacation weeks of the year.
What better time to take a break and hit the beaches with the 4th of July falling smack dab in the middle of the week!
The big question on everyone’s mind – will the weather cooperate?
The short answer is, for the most part, yes.
Average temperatures for the first week of July are around 80-81 degrees. We should top that just about every day this week.
In fact, this week will feature weather very typical for July – lots of sunshine, high temps generally in the 80’s, times of humidity and a few chances of thunderstorms.
Here are some headlines for this week:
Three chances of thunderstorms:
- Monday afternoon: Just some pop-up storms, not likely to be severe and quick movers
- Wednesday: Unfortunately, the best chance of thunderstorms this week is on the 4th. There may be multiple fronts moving through, bringing a thunderstorm threat in the morning and again in the afternoon. Not a washout by any means, but it will be a day that we will have to keep our eyes to the sky. Any storms should clear after dark, in time for fireworks displays.
- Saturday night: A cold front is likely to bring an end to some late week heat on Saturday night with some boomers, likely clearing the coast in time for a nice Sunday.
Above normal to WELL above normal temperatures:
Highs will range between 82-88 Monday through Thursday and then some heat from the Midwest breaks off and enters New England for two days. Friday and Saturday will both be 90+, perhaps mid to upper 90’s on Saturday.
Up and down humidity:
Humidity levels will be pretty comfy Monday and Tuesday with dew points in the 50’s. Dew points will rise sharply on Wednesday well into the 60’s, making it feel a bit soupy on the Esplanade and fueling some of those thunderstorms. We’ll have a brief break in humidity on Thursday before some oppressive air moves in Friday and Saturday.
A quick summary on each day this week:
- Monday: Sunny start, building clouds midday/afternoon, scattered PM storms, mid 80’s
- Tuesday: Sunny, warm and dry, perhaps the pick of the week, mid 80’s
- Wednesday: Intervals of clouds and sunshine with scattered thunderstorms throughout the day, humid, 82-88 depending upon how much sunshine we get
- Thursday: Another beauty, much like Tuesday, mid-to-upper 80’s, fairly dry
- Friday: The heat builds, sunny and hot, 90 degrees
- Saturday: Triple H weather – hazy, hot and humid, well into the 90’s with late day storms
- Sunday: Sun returns, drier, mid 80’s
You can follow Terry on Twitter at @TerryWBZ.