Middleboro School Makes Changes After Accepting 6-Year-Old’s Forged Dismissal Note
Get Breaking News First
MIDDLBORO (CBS) – Middleboro schools say they have made some significant policy changes after an incident where a school official accepted a forged dismissal note from a 6-year-old.
The incident happened back in December, but was only recently made public.
Amy Nay says she was at work when she received a call from her son’s after school program that he wasn’t there.
“You just start thinking worst-case scenario,” she explained on Thursday.
Nay remembers rushing home and making several calls on the way, before finally learning from the school that her son Gannon had a note excusing him from the program. He had been put on the bus and sent home.
Nay eventually found her son safe at a neighbor’s house.
But she couldn’t understand why the school would have accepted the note and why she wasn’t notified.
“He wrote it in yellow highlighter on finger painting paper. It’s misspelled,” Nay said. “It’s a six-year-old’s handwriting on it. There was no adult signature on it.”
WBZ NewsRadio 1030′s Lana Jones reports
The school had attempted to contact Nay by leaving a phone message. But the number they had was outdated, so Nay never got it, which she says is unacceptable.
“I would have kept making phone calls,” she said. “I would have gotten to a person. You can’t just leave a voice mail and look at a note that’s in highlighter and say ‘yeah, you know what, go ahead buddy. That’s okay,’”
The school superintendent says he can’t comment on personnel issues, but he says he is satisfied that the policy changes will prevent any future incidents.