Red Sox CentralShop for Red Sox Gear
Buy Red Sox Tickets
Here are some of the “fun facts” from the tough, extra innings loss:
- Sunday’s 17-inning game was the longest in innings and time for the Red Sox since a 19 inning, six hour and 19 minute 6-5 loss to the Chicago White Sox July 9, 2006. Sunday’s loss lasted six hours and seven minutes.
- Red Sox relievers combined for 13.1 innings on Sunday, giving up eight hits and four runs (three earned) with 11 strikeouts. It was the most innings pitched by Red Sox’ relievers since they hurled 14 innings in a 7-5 win in 19 innings on April 11, 1992.
- The nine Red Sox relievers used in Sunday’s loss were the most since nine pitchers also threw against the Orioles back on April 15, 2004.
Red Sox Postgame:
- In all, the Red Sox and Orioles used 18 pitchers, the first time as many as 18 pitchers have appeared in a game at Fenway Park.
Game Preview: Red Sox at Royals
- The Red Sox turned six double plays, the club’s most in a game since May 5, 1948 when they did it in a nine-inning game against the Detroit Tigers.
- Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz has now allowed at least five earned runs in each of his six starts this season, becoming the first Red Sox pitcher to do so at any point in a season in six or more consecutive games since Red Ruffing did it in eight outings from June 17 to July 28, 1925.
- Outfielder Darnell McDonald made his second career appearance as a pitcher, also having done so on last season against Oakland, which was the last time a Red Sox position player took the mound. McDonald pitched the 17th inning, allowing three runs on two hits and two walks, and took the loss. He is the 23rd Red Sox position player to pitch in a game.
- Baltimore’s Chris Davis made his first career appearance as a pitcher in the 16th inning, tossing two scoreless innings and picking up the win.
- According to Elias, Davis became the first player to go 0-8 in a game in which he also pitched since Leon Cadore for Brooklyn in 1920.
- With the loss, Boston falls to 0-3 on the season in extra innings.