BOSTON (CBS) – As part of oral, head, and neck cancer awareness week, Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary is offering free cancer screenings on Wednesday.
Every year, doctors in the United States diagnose 50,000 people with cancer in the head or neck region, including the lips, mouth, throat and sinuses.
Cancer of the head and neck is serious and can be life-threatening. As with any cancer, the earlier it is detected and targeted the greater are the chances of success in treatment. If you have experienced any of the following symptoms, seek the opinion of a qualified medical professional:
- Hoarseness or change in voice
- Loss of sight, taste, smell or touch
- Difficulty swallowing
- Consistent, unexplained pain in head or neck
- Coughing up blood
- Ulcerations in the throat, mouth, tongue, or skin
- Unexplained lumps or bumps