Keller @ Large: The Truth About Rick Santorum

BOSTON (CBS) – Soon-to-be forgotten presidential candidate Rick Santorum has had it with the news media.

Listen to Jon’s commentary:

He wants us to stop “distorting” and “spinning” and tell “the truth” for once, and you know something?

He’s right.

I accept that challenge, and will now apply it to a timely topic at hand – Rick Santorum.

Campaigns are grueling, flawed exercises, but they do serve a purpose.

Over time, under the scrutiny and pressure of running for high office, the true character of the candidates is often revealed, for better or, in Santorum’s case, for worse.

Since he stepped into the spotlight in January with his emergence as a competitive candidate, we’ve learned a few things about Santorum, and one of them is that he is at times an ill-tempered oaf.

This was on display Sunday in a tantrum he threw at a New York Times reporter who tried to question him about his claim that Mitt Romney is “the worst Republican in the country to put up against Barack Obama.”

Watch the video and you’ll see Santorum’s temper go from zero to sixty in nothing flat, jabbing his finger at the reporter as he berates him for supposedly “lying” and “distorting” Santorum’s words.

After dropping a barnyard curse in front of startled admirers, he continues to glare at and harangue the reporter.

One of his daughters, with a worried look on her face, grabs his arm as if to calm him down, but he ignores her and keeps on sniping at the reporter, finally telling him with a sneer: “You don’t care at all about the truth.”

Well, here’s some truth for you, Senator: boorish behavior like that is what’s helped torpedo your candidacy.

JFK’s speech on religion made you want to “throw up”?

The President’s a “snob” for encouraging kids to go to college?

Are you kidding me?

Campaigns sometimes tell us who’s presidential material and who isn’t.

This is one of those times.

How’s that for some truth?

You can listen to Keller At Large on WBZ News Radio every weekday at 7:55 a.m. and 12:25 p.m. You can also watch Jon on WBZ-TV News.

More from Jon Keller
Comments

1. Willow says:

Jon, you said it! That guy is a loose canon, and no one needs to have someone like that in the White House. We would be in another World War in no time flat. Probably with the entire world. The guy should seek out an anger management class. He’s not only a loose canon, but an egotistical show off in front of the camera. I wonder how many people were impressed with his little tirade. I sure wasn’t.

2. xRedfoxx says:

Here is a link to the Conservative Scorecard that is an easy-to-read rating of the GOP candidates on conservative issues. Santorum does not rank very well.

Why does the GOP keep supporting moderate candidates? We need a true conservative option.

1. Willow says:

It appears that none of them rank very well. Thank you for sharing the link.

2. petem says:

@xRedfoxx – on what planet is this guy a moderate? Maybe you mean as compared to Mussolini or Hitler or Stalin, or Bin Ladin, but he seems to want to be the leader of our own version of the Taliban…

3. tsal-kv says:

Why the man is still getting as many votes as he does is what is worrisome to me.

I do not believe we need a true conservative or a true liberal. I believe we desperately need a moderate in the White house and moderates in Congress. And we need someone who actually cares about the country – honestly. I don’t believe for a second Santorum cares about anyone but himself. Nor does Gingrich. I believe Romney cares and I believe Obama cares and I believe Ron Paul cares. Those are just a few.

What we need is everyone to work together because so many of our politicians have very valid solutions; however, their voices are being drowned out by the ultras on both sides and in particular by the tea party.

4. Gail says:

Jon, after listening to you on the radio this morning, I thought that Santorum really went over the edge when talking to reporters and then I watched the video clip from cbs. It’s about time some one other than Newt Gingrich told the lamestream media off. He’s absolutely right about Mitt Romney being the worst candidate to run against Barack Obama on the subject of Obamacare because Romneycare was the foundation for Obamacare. Other than the expletive, there was absolutely nothing wrong in what he said.

1. tsal-kv says:

Gail – do you have a clip of the full comment Santorum made? I am only finding one that ends with Romney being the worst candidate and never heard Santorum qualify it by mentioning with regard to healthcare except of course by Santorum after the fact.

1. Willow says:

It was after the fact. I saw the footage and in the speech Santorum never mentioned that he was comparing Romney to Obama over healthcare. He made a complete jerk out of himself. This time the media was not wrong.

5. Ultrawidescsi says:

“Satan”torum strikes again …. and again, and again, and agian , and again, and again…………………………..

6. Mrs. Keller says:

I don’t know who sucks more…Keller or Santorum

I’d say its a tie between a radical liberal and a radical religious dope

1. donny says:

I’d suggest you broke the three-way tie in the role of idiot commentator.

“Mrs. Keller” – real classy…

7. The Owl says:

While I fail to see why there is interest in Santorum as a presidential candidate, I applaud him for calling out the NY Times and its reporters for their always slanted and often mean-spirited coverage of political views that do not comport with their liberal, elitist ideology.

The NYT has been sinking for decades, The polluted waters seem to have reached the level of the wheelhouse. The NYT may well sink into partisan oblivion.

1. tsal-kv says:

owl I’ll be darned if I can find the entire transcript. I’m trying to figure if the news cut off Santorum’s continuation that Romney was worse due to healthcare of if in fact he didn’t say anything about healthcare. If he didn’t mention his comment being directly related to healthcare, I don’t see anywhere that the NYT reporter’s comment was slanted. Santorum can’t just make stuff up to cover his moronic blunders.

This is what I found – I sure would love to know if someone found anything more specific. In this Santorum clearly doesn’t mention healthcare.

“Why would we put someone up who is uniquely – pick any other Republican in the country – he is the worst Republican in the country to put up against Barack Obama. Why would Wisconsin want to vote for someone like that?”

1. The Owl says:

Sorry, tsal, you must be one of those that believe every bit of tripe that the NYT puts out.

That is sad.

2. tsal-kv says:

Owl – I don’t read the times. If I go to a newspaper I’m more inclined to go to the CSM since it is the most unbiased you can find. What’s sad is I simply asked if anyone had the full transcript so I could understand if in fact Santorum blew it out of proportion or if the Times did. But carry on……..oh you are :)

8. emom says:

Let;s face it,,, After all these years of sanctimonious candidates, with all their brands of LIE”S and their SELFISH beliefs. Do you blame santorum for getting upset…. The press I hate to say it DOES go over board and try and to bate them into stuff. and sometimes they blind side them and it gets very ugly… I didn’t see it But I have seen enough through out this entire debate… some are just out of line when they go for the throat questions per say. ill-tempered oaf, so be it, I rather have someone that has pulse and a conscience rather than an agenda and filled with total Lie’s.

9. Julie the Jarhead says:

Whenever I see the word “truth” in the title … I expect the opposite. And I’m never disappointed.

1. JohnC says:

Absolutely! Great comment. When you see the word “truth” in a title, any title – you are guaranteed that it is someone’s own version of the truth.

10. 1stackmack says:

lt shows santorum has a pair.l do like him,but l want romney instead.santorum is a little to conservative for me.but no mater what shakes out,its still better than what we have now.

1. donny says:

Great, a ‘pair’… too bad the job he’s running for requires a ‘full house”.

And the anything but Obama line says far more about your blind partisanship than the qualifications of any of the candidates.

Talk about showing you have a ‘pair’ – Which Mitt Romney would you like elected?…

1. 1stackmack says:

l’m an independent brother.l actually liked having a republican governor here to keep the democrat run state in check.l still like romney over obama.obama has never run anything before his political career.again l’m independent,l couldn’t stand bush,he was an idiot.same thing with brown,l still don’t know what elizabeth has actually accomplished to warrant a senile seat.brown’s doing fine.

11. donny says:

I remember when Ricky S was in town and he shook my hand before a debate. I didn’t wash that hand for a week. Besides sucking on it to help me go down for a nap.

1. donny says:

HELLO ONE and ALL,

This ‘donny’ posting (March 28, 2012 at 9:51 am) was not by me.

Obviously we can ALL create and post under any name we want. That’s great!

Thanks ‘donny’ (the latter) for showing us how this system works.

And easy as it might be to assume posters: “Mrs. Keller” or “1stackmack” are the infants behind this, I’m not playing that game.

…Although I do appreciate you sharing your ‘sucking” expertise with us. Night-night.

1. donny says:

Look if you don’t stop your impersonating me I will be forced to take measures to make sure that you don’t force me to eat beans and franklins.

also

Leave Mrs Keller out of this old man….

12. donny says:

also

Leave Mrs Keller out of this old man….