Cat Survives 19-Story Fall From Boston Apartment Building

By Christina Hager, WBZ-TV

BOSTON (CBS) – Rescuers are calling her a miracle cat. Her name is Sugar, a white ball of fluff that survived a fall from her owner’s window on the 19th floor of a Storrow Drive high rise.

“I look out my window all the time and I think, ‘Wow, this is really high,’” says Sugar’s owner, Brittany Kirk. She believes in the old saying about nine lives. “I think she probably used one or two or maybe eight.”

When workers with the Animal Rescue League examined the cat, they found it had minor bruising on the lungs, but no broken bones, no cuts, and no serious injuries. They estimate she fell between 150 and 200 feet. “Pretty open access to Storrow drive as well, as if the cat needed any more peril on this day,” said rescue manager Brian O’Connor.

Surprisingly, rescuers say studies show cats have a better chance of surviving falls when they’re from higher than nine stories. “The cats were able to relax, orient themselves in a flying squirrel position with the legs spread out. It slowed their descent down.”

cat Cat Survives 19 Story Fall From Boston Apartment Building

Sugar survived a 19-story fall.

The Animal Rescue League is reminding pet owners to make sure they have screens on windows. After this happened, Sugar’s owner called the managers of her high rise to have one installed.

“I’m just so thankful. When I came home from work today and I saw her, I was just very thankful. It’s a miracle,” says Kirk.

More from Christina Hager
Comments

1. Willow says:

Thank goodness this poor kitty survived the fall. I don’t understand why the owner left the window open in the first place if there was no screen in it. She’s fortunate she has another chance to have her pet.

2. Stephen Rost says:

Life is sacred

3. Edward Ellis says:

GOOD KITTY !

4. JohnC says:

Screens are to keep insects out. They should not be used to keep children and pets in. The window needs a child guard.

1. dan says:

the window needs a child guard… hello the cat can jump right over a child guard with no screen…idiot..get it ..no screen

5. tc says:

Thank God nothing serious happened! 19 stories high w/no screens..that’s scary.

6. Phil Mares says:

A beautiful story for all cat guardians.

7. D. Mac Farlane says:

For some STRANGE reason we have ALWAYS had screens on ALL our windows, and surely if I lived as high as this D/S, I would either leave the windows closed or or tie up the damn cat. I’m just glad she doesn’t have any kids!!!!

1. Rita says:

That was my first thought also…Thank God this was not a child.

1. Eddie Francis says:

Cats are more precious than children!

1. al4624 says:

think it stands for dumb sh**?

1. shane ransom says:

so so said cat fall out widrow

8. Phil H. says:

Hooray for the kitty kat

Phil H.
    Woodland, Alabama

9. AP says:

Boston law says that only windows up to the 4th floor require screens. If she was on 19, then she wouldn’t require a screen.

Also, a screen wouldn’t keep the cat in. My friend lived in two fourth-floor apartments, and her crazy cat would push the screen out and make a break for freedom. She ended up putting fans in the window just to keep him in.

I sincerely doubt the cat showed any prior interest in the window, or it was an awning window that it simply didn’t seem possible the cat could fit out of. I wouldn’t attack this woman as someone who shouldn’t reproduce for an accident involving a wily, crazy cat.

10. JD says:

I have to call BS on this story.

11. tara says:

i had a kitten fall from my 5th story apt window..we took her to the vet and they vet said she was perfectly fine and was very surprised she was still breathing..well the next day she died in my boyfriends arms laying on the couch…..so very sad….cant always trust the vet i guess

12. Savannah says:

Completely irresponsible not to keep an eye on a the cat!!!!!!! Cats, kids and yes, some adults, just love to explore an open window…hang out if you will. And every year we hear stories about tragic accidents. Isn’t it always better to be safe than sorry…

13. Charlie says:

Its the Matrix,,,

14. FireGuyFrank says:

Wow! Super Cat.

15. Kare says:

As in Rocky the flying squirrel……….could Sugar become a cat with a wing span ? Very possible with just the right air lifting her on just the right tilt.

16. Susan M says:

An accident? If the owner is stupid enough to open a window without a screen, then she doesn’t deserve a cat. That poor kitty suffered because she is a MORON.

17. George says:

Cats are well known as “parachuting” animals, If they fall from above 5 floors or so (from memory) they’ll probably survive as they can configure themselves such that their terminal velocity will not be lethal. Hence the saying that cats always land on their feet.

18. Greg says:

Studies show cats have a better chance if they fall from more than 9 stories? Who performed those studies?
    How many cats do you have to throw in order to get a statisically accurate sample?

19. Eric Lawton says:

Praise Ceiling Cat!

20. Peg says:

I love cats and they love me! Some are smart and then some are DUMB! They climb into places humans would never think of! Cats do silly things for reasons unknown to humans! They are peculiar animals.A cat even if there had been a guard in the window she would have found a way to leave the building! She my have seen a bird flying by. Who knows? Glad she is ok! If that had been a child we would be chatting about CHILD NEGLECLT with pending court hearings!

21. Eline says:

We had Squeaky,an albino cat-all white like Sugar-fall from our 9 story window in Cambridge in 1965 and had our picture in the Globe on the obituary page.
    Squeaky was treated at Angell Memorial and her only problem was hematuria.
    Cats are amazingly tough and loving, although mine have been more independent than my dogs.
    I’ve always used love of animals as a barometer in chosing friends!

22. Mary says:

I sure hope that cat owner never has children.