Weather Alert Sunday/Monday: Snow, Wintry Mix | Forecast | BlogWeather App

McGovern “Proud” Of Arrest At Washington, DC Protest

BOSTON (CBS) – Congressman Jim McGovern, back in Massachusetts, told WBZ-TV he hoped to send a message to the Sudanese government when he was arrested Friday in Washington, DC.

McGovern was with actor George Clooney, who also was arrested in a protest against genocide and other crimes in the Sudan.

“I am proud I did it. There is a terrible humanitarian crisis going on in Sudan, where if the government of Sudan does not allow food shipments to be delivered to its people, tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of innocent people will die,” said McGovern.

McGovern said Clooney and the others crossed a police line to send an urgent message to the Sudanese president.

“Immediately, we need humanitarian aid to be allowed into the Sudan before it becomes the worst humanitarian crisis in the world,” said Clooney on Friday.

Demonstrators blocked the entrance to the Sudanese embassy to symbolize the country’s blockade of food and other humanitarian aid.

“Sometimes it requires people getting arrested, including a celebrity who has a lot of courage and guts, who has been over there to get arrested, to bring this issue to the forefront,” said McGovern.

By Friday afternoon, they were released from jail. They were there for more than four hours.

“One by one, we were called up and processed and fingerprinted. Our photographs were taken. I paid $100 as a fine,” said McGovern.

McGovern says he hopes their actions will bring international pressure on the Sudanese government and hope the cause for a country that has suffered so much injustice.

“People ought to care when innocent people are being slaughtered even if it’s half way around the world,” said McGovern.

“There is a mug shot of me, but my guess is the mug shot of George Clooney will be more in demand than the mug shot of me,” said McGovern.

Rep. John Olver of Worcester and Martin Luther King III were also among those who were also arrested.

Comments

1. Mark says:

Jim McGovern is a card carrying Commie. He belongs to the Commie Caucus in Congress. Hank Johnson is the chair. The Hank Johnson who thinks Guam will tip over. Nuff said about this group of loons. No more Commie’s in Congress.

2. Rob Cleary says:

Jim McGovern, You are an imbecile. That is all.

3. blackbear1 says:

I’m sure McGovern did nothing more than waste his time. This is not what taxpayers elected him to do. Clooney did nothing more than enhance his self serving, spoiled, coddled image. Yes, it is horrific in Sudan and all you two clowns did was give the evil doers a good laugh. Way to go guys!!

4. fred says:

Maybe next time they should try self immolation but at almost $ 4.00 per gallon for gasoline they would probably not want spend that much of their own money for any cause – so I guess they should hold their breath at least that will cut down on carbon dioxide in the atmoshere.

5. Denise says:

and YES PETEM – I do hope they had to take a vacation day to do this. If they feel as strongly as they do they should dip into their own well lined pockets to provide aid to this country. When I do my volunteer work – I’m not given a “free pass” by the people I work for during the week – I have to take a vacation day.

I find the sad and deplorable conditions that many of the people in these countries have to suffer through at the hands of their own people – who steal the aid that is sent by our country as well as others. Because it doesn’t make it to the people it was intended for I don’t know why we continue to send Millions of dollars that only supports the people that are performing the things these people are protesting against!!!!

But our country is going down hill too – we have our government that doesn’t seem to get anything done. Until they all have to pay into the system like the rest of us they will never correct it – Healthcare for one! When someone continues to hand you things for “free” there is no incentive to make it better or fix it.

6. petem says:

Denise,
    Point by point;

“it’s nice to see they can take a stand and support other countries – but there are also people here that need help! Oh wait… bring them all here! We can seem to support everyone that has never contributed to the system and take away from those that worked all their lives and the famlies of those that have given their lives.”
    • First, where was it suggested we bring them here? We should help them there, with the help of the other big powers. It takes a lot of work to get others on board, and things like this protest to put the issue in the spotlight…
    • I don’t get the reference to ‘we support others who never contributed to the system…’ Are you talking about people in Sudan or in the US? If in the US, we do help people who are so poor they don’t make enough $ to pay taxes, because 25% of $22,000 is a lot harder than 25% of $75,000, and don’t forget, that relative to their income, the poor pay a far higher % of their income in sales and other taxes than those of us who are more fortunate.

• I don’t pretend to know the rules around time off for a Congressperson, but I want them to do what they feel is right. Shall we start penalizing politicians for time spent on other activities we don’t agree with? How about asking George W. Bush to pay back the extra vacation time? He took 977 days over 8 years, or approx 32% of this time in office on vacation.

• So your answer to the problem is cutting off the $? How about working to gain better control over the $?

• Not sure of the point here, but again poor people, who make so little that taking income taxes would only hurt them further is not the answer. We need to have a national level health care for all. It should not be something that flows only to the fortunate, Healthcare is a human right, and making it accessible to all is the only way it can be made universal. If a person has the means and wants higher level care they should be able to buy that with their own $, but everyone should have access to a healthcare plan that keeps them from ending up at the emergency room, because that’s their only option. I don’t know how the funding should work but just taking the huge expense of all those unnecessary ER visits out would help, as would more extensive preventative care that would come with being enrolled in a healthcare plan that encourages that care model.

7. Rob Cleary says:

Ask the folks in Maine how their new Somalia neighbors are? I’m more concerned about the weather than I am Sudan. I am NOT my brothers keeper.

8. Denise says:

petem – you are more than welcome to your opinion as am I. I have issues w/ our government and their work or lack there of for the benefit of those they were elected to serve – never mind those of another country! I don’t begrudge any country aid and those that want to bring attention to it by protesting at a sit in or occupy movement or getting arrested go for it – but why should we be paying them to do it? I also don’t believe that welfare should be a way of life, that people should have children they can’t support – able bodied people that aren’t working should have something to do to earn their unemployement check…. I think there should be checks and balances for everything. I don’t expect anything for free – when I choose to give $$ or time to support something I expect it to benefit those that it was intended for – not those running the programs. There are ways to check that stuff out! And if it doesn’t go where it’s supposed to then I don’t support it any longer – or I find another way to suppor it.

Don’t you believe in cleaning up your own house before you bother sticking your nose in someone elses? And No – I don’t believe in what is happening to these people is right – just like the idiot that is making children into his personal soldiers – it’s WRONG! But to continue to send $$ and supplies that are NEVER going to make it to the people it’s intended for – but stops w/ the thieves and well to do of that country is a waste. Maybe they need to figure out how to get it where it needs to go and stop advertising what they do and how they do it! But I’m sure I’m wrong in your eyes and that’s ok – I don’t have to be everything to everyone!

9. Stanley11 says:

Proud to be arrested. Isn’t that the definition of a “thug”?