City Of Boston Targets Old, Unpaid Parking Tickets To Raise $5 Million

By WBZ-TV Chief Correspondent Joe Shortsleeve

BOSTON (CBS) – WBZ-TV has learned details about a move by the city of Boston to collect nearly $5 million from old parking tickets.

A Newton woman recently received a notice from a collection company which says she owes the city of Boston $46 for a $20 ticket she was given back in 2005.

Kate Walker remembers getting the ticket and she says she remembers paying the ticket, but can’t prove it.

She says she doesn’t even use the same bank today as she did way back then.

And she is not alone.

WBZ-TV’s Joe Shortsleeve reports

Some 34,000 notices started going out last August for tickets dating all the way back to July 2004.

The city’s Traffic Commissioner Tom Tinlin said there is no statute of limitations on tickets.

He confirms the city is moving aggressively to collect almost $5 million from tickets issued between 2004 and 2009.

Tinlin admits that most of these drivers haven’t heard anything from the city in years.

But he says eight-year-old parking tickets need to be paid.

“Yes, I think they are fair game and in life we are all held accountable for our actions,” he told WBZ.

“But to simply ignore your responsibility as a driver and vehicle owner. I would argue that is not fair.”

The city says most of these drivers had only the one outstanding ticket and it didn’t make sense to pay postage on multiple collection notices.

Until now, that is.

The city says mechanisms are in place through the Registry of Motor Vehicles to catch people who have unpaid parking tickets, but only if they owe two or more.

In that scenario, they will not be able to renew the registration on their car.

Comments

1. sean says:

IRS Finacial Records are ONLY required to be kept for 7 years, I would NOT pay anything older than that whether it is the City of Boston or the Commonwealth.

2. dan says:

NOW HERE IS ANOTHER ISSUE…HOW ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO STEAL THE TICKET OFF YOUR CAR AND PUT IT ON THEIR CAR SO THEY WON’T GET A TICKET….THAT HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR YEARS….SO HOW ARE YOU TO KNOW YOU HAVE A TICKET IF IT IS STOLEN FROM YOUR CAR

1. Broseph says:

Dan mah man! Thanks for idea. I’m using it!

3. smitty says:

Its pretty sad I pay my tickets and I recently received a notice with a late fee totaling 145.00. How would I ignore a ticket knowing they can boot you and stop your registration. Let us just say I did get the ticket even though I did not. Why did’nt I get a late fee notice back in 2004. If I had I would have likely asked for a hearing or paid it.

Why have they waited so long to get these paid. Seven years totals about 5 thousand tickets not paid each year and no-one in the traffic office notices this until now. It sounds to me that someone is not doing their job or doing it poorly.

It will certainly make me think twice about going into Boston to spend my hard earned money. They may get the money that I cannot prove does not belong to them today. Hell will freeze over before I will ever give them anymore business.

There is a lot going on in the surrounding communities of Boston and I am sure will be more honest and friendly. Another great example on how government screws the little guy.

If anything the city should eat the fine and require everyone to pay the tickets even though is might be wrong.

They have done amnesty in the past by bringing in food or a gift for toys for tots. All I can say is shame Mr. Menino and the City Council for not being fair to the hard working people who continue to try and support local businesses.

4. dan says:

and do you know if a ticket is not signed with a full sighnature it is invalaid

5. Brad says:

I received one of these letters and I’m SURE I paid the ticket! The only reason I remember paying it is because I recall what a DUMP city hall is! Standing in line at security, standing in line at the window only to get hit with the ticket again! What a joke!