‘Oil Can’ Boyd Admits To Pitching Under Influence Of Cocaine

BOSTON (CBS) – Former Red Sox pitcher Dennis “Oil Can” Boyd admitted on Wednesday that two-thirds of the time he was on the mound, he was under the influence of cocaine.

“Oh yeah, at every ballpark. There wasn’t one ballpark that I probably didn’t stay up all night, until four or five in the morning, and the same thing is still in your system,” Boyd told WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Jonny Miller in Fort Myers, Fla. “It’s not like you have time to go do it while in the game, which I had done that.

“Some of the best games I’ve ever, ever pitched in the major leagues I stayed up all night; I’d say two-thirds of them,” said Boyd,  who spent eight of his 10 major league seasons with the Red Sox. “If I had went to bed, I would have won 150 ballgames in the time span that I played. I feel like my career was cut short for a lot of reasons, but I wasn’t doing anything that hundreds of ball players weren’t doing at the time; because that’s how I learned it.”

Hear the Interview:

Despite that, Boyd said he has no regrets in his career that spanned from 1982 t0 1991.

“It was something that I had to deal with personally and I succumbed,” he said. “I lived through my life and I feel good about myself. I have no regrets about what I did or said about anything that I said or did. I’m a stand-up person and I came from a quality background of people.”

Boyd, who went 78-77 with 799 career strikeouts with the Red Sox, Expos and Rangers, said he received support from some teammates, but not all.

“All of them didn’t rally around me,” he explained. “All of them knew and the ones that cared came to me. The Dwight Evans and Bill Buckners… It was the veteran ball players. Some guys lived it… They knew what you were doing, and the only way they knew was they had to have tried it too.”

Boyd explained why he believes he got a worse reputation than some others.

“The reason I caught the deep end to it is because I’m black. The bottom line is the game carries a lot of bigotry, and that was an easy way for them to do it,” Boyd said. “If I wasn’t outspoken and a so-called ‘proud black man,’ maybe I would have gotten the empathy and sympathy like other ballplayers got that I didn’t get; like Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Steve Howe. I can name 50 people that got third and fourth chances all because they weren’t outspoken black individuals.”

Boyd said he was never asked to take a drug test during his playing days.

“I never had a drug test as long as I played baseball,” he said. “I was told that, yeah, if you don’t stop doing this we’re going to put you into rehab, and I told them (expletive) that (expletive).  I’m going to do what I have to do, I have to win ball games. We’ll talk about that in the offseason, right now I have to win ball games.”

The retired Red Sox pitcher has been busy as of late. His autobiography, “They Call Me Oil Can,” is scheduled for publication in June. In May, he will be filming his role as pitcher Satchel Paige in a major motion picture about Jackie Robinson, starring Harrison Ford as Branch Rickey, Richard Gere and Chadwick Boseman as Robinson.

1. Cap Curmudgeon says:

i read to the point he played the race card.

See ya!

1. James D says:

I read only the first few lines, and then scanned the rest, looking for a key piece of information: WHEN did this guy play? From what year, to what year?

I’m not a big baseball fan, and I have no idea. Odds are, most of the readers don’t know either, and if I had been writing this story, that important information would have been in there somewhere.

It should have been in there. The reporter should know better. This is basic stuff.

Also, though, the crap about being black and outspoken was some serious nonsense. Nobody cares about that, especially when it comes to sports these days. His race is entirely irrelevant to anything (except in his mind–and probably the minds of some liberal academics and politicians)

2. the optometrist says:

-very plain to see, open your eyes James D

3. steve says:

yup. that’s when I stop reading every article. The race card is bogus.

4. Jerk from NY says:

So typical. Yea its so rough for a professional athlete black guy. I don’t do cocaine before I go to work because I care about my family and I had a dad that didn’t leave me. Congrats on black parenting its so awesome, Dad leaves, Mom’s lazy and everyone blames the white people! Where is my 40 acres and my muel!

Get fully prepared for doomsday or a major apocalyptic disaster for under $50 bucks!

5. Never heard of oilcan says:

I guess all that cocaine made him a legend in his own mind.

6. Deniz Bber says:

Does he even realize that two of three names he gave of players getting a second chance…..were black?????

Good grief. This man is unintelligent.

Why is someone writing a column about him? He is dumb and doesn’t say anything interesting.

7. SeanR64 says:

Me too. As soon as I read, “because I’m black” I quit reading and like that (snaps fingers) my interest in your story was gone.

8. Jimmy Burns says:

Boyd was a real deal red sox player, was drug use a real part of the game at the time, unfortunately yes. Could he have been a better player if he had kept a healthy body, most likely. But to say that the game was the same as it is today is just wrong. Keep in mind Bill “Spaceman” Lee pitched a perfect game high as hell once, that could never happen today.

1. Oil Can Henry says:

Yup, that’s when I scrolled down to read the comments! I’m so sick of players saying they have it bad because of race. It’s 2012 folks!

1. Lo says:

But he wasn’t playing Baseball in 2012, was he? Derp.

2. Yourna Mehere says:

OK Lo, I guess those cotton plantations were going strong in the 1980’s. Oil Can is just another low life druggie who blames his problems on everybody else. Kind of like Obuma.

2. Bob-Salem says:

race card ended story

1. Branch Rickey says:

There is no such thing as a “race card”. There is no such thing as a “blame game”. There is only truth and lies. This guy lived his life, unless you were there and saw something else going on, state some facts otherwise. Leave the right wing denial quotes for Fox “news”.

2. TheTruth says:

“Branch Rickey” is a typical apologist, always driveling on in circles and such. Go marry this rusted “Oil can” clown if you love him so much. The same goes for Tron5000 and anyone else who wishes to politely carry this fools tote around.

3. Ron says:

Exactly. As soon as I read “The reason I caught the deep end to it is because I’m black. The bottom line is the game carries a lot of bigotry, and that was an easy way for them to do it,” , I audibly muttered, “oh STFU….” and checked out.

3. Joseph Allen Kozuh says:

Most Blacks who are murdered in the uSA are murdered by … other Blacks … !!!!!

4. beingakneegrow says:

I was waiting for it and it came.

1. Rich in Cali says:

2. chris says:

that’s what she said.

5. proudnot2bliberal says:

Yup just like obomie the comie if you say anything against him its because your a racist? Sorry folks but this is why the AA community is a majority in the ghettos & prisons because of teh race huckster like sharpton, jackson, farrcon etc who claim everything is because of race. Maybe its because your an ahole or a moron. gee maybe I can claim everytime someone doesnt agree with me or give me something its because of my ancestory? NO my ancestors got over it by trying harder & working thier way out not depending upon someone (the gov) for evevrything

1. yamstar1 says:

Your rant loses a lot of its steam when we realize, by your spelling and grammar, that you didn’t pass 5th grade english.

2. Anglo-Saxon says:

yamstart – Your rant loses a lot of steam when we realize that you don’t know how to spell “English” correctly. Capitalize it, dude!

3. Steve Garcia says:

It’s refreshing to see someone that hasn’t depended upon the government for everything. Including an education. Learn to spell and punctuate. It would make your incoherent ramblings easier to understand. As for the venemous misinformation you spew, do yourself a favor, and get another news source besides FOX News, Rush and Matt Drudge.Loser.

4. Read Jefferson says:

But Steve, those are the only places to get real news.

5. yamass says:

Yamstar1 is a typical liberal..can’t compete in arena of ideas, so they attack someone’s casual typing skills. In that case, according to well read Yamass, we should never take anything blacks say because they can neither write or speak well.

6. Tom Palermo says:

Same here…. But addicts will make any excuse they can for their addiction. They keeping making excuses until they come clean. Only then can they begin their recovery, although they will always be an addict. Boyd hasn’t accepted his addiction or begun to recover. He first has to stop making excuses, look in the mirror, and accept the responsibility for being an addict! I pray for him……

1. Thugdog Nasty says:

“He first has to stop making excuses, look in the mirror, and accept the responsibility for being an addict! I pray for him……”

Mighty judgmental for a person with an invisible friend.

7. sdfdf says:

i stopped reading at…”because I’m black”

8. dam says:

I read to the point that I realized it wasn’t a story about Sam Malone.

9. John says:

Ditto…what a loser…look at me, I’m a victim…yeah, right, a victim of stupidity and ignorance. Get a life. I know Sachel Paige, I worked with Sachel Paige, you, oiled can, are no Sachel Paige!

10. Daisy says:

Drugs have a way of making people delusional. As does racism. This guy is dependent on drugs and he’s a racist. Double loser.

11. Paul B says:

that race card is like a ACE in the pocket. No answer for it, and it can be pulled out anywhere at anytime, and the moment you challenge it’s use, you are labeled a racist.

1. Jas Aub says:

It’s how Barry got elected.

12. Andrew says:

Yep. It’s said so much it no longer has any meaning.

13. sd8 says:

I was born a poe black child too ! Maybe i should come up with a life of misery and write an article to sell some books so i can throw all my peeps unda da bus !

14. Peter Schwartz says:

Me Too!!

15. brian says:

same,,,,typical african-african (american ?) come back !!! my great great great great great grand-daddy was sold by HIS people for a few bucks and sent off to the new world !!! what a mistake that was !!! now we are stuck with that west african scurge !!!! way to go early americans !!! couldnt we have gotten slaves somewhere else ??? damn,,,now they are going to ruin this country !!!

16. CJ48 says:

It’s not an excuse to do drugs, but do you guys really think he didn’t have to deal with racism?
      It might be 2012 now, but it wasn’t back then.
      Jackie Robinson could tell you some great stories of coming off the field at the end of the game, then tossing his jersey into the same laundry pile as every other player and having the guy who did the cleaning pick up Jackie’s shirt with a stick and tell him “I don’t clean n***grs clothes….or how his own teammates taunted him in the club house.
      I know Boyd played a little later in time, but don’t act like this stuff wasn’t happening.

1. Heywood U Buzzoff says:

Oil Can was an angry, argumentative jerk in the club house. He bad mouthed fellow players, coaches, and staff when he was not sneaking off to get high. Talk to the folks who played with him and against him or had to work around. he was a jerk who loved being a jerk and the only reason he did not get his second o third ‘chance’ was that he was a jerk

17. Gman521 says:

This idiot once said that the reason that there was so much FOG at the Cleveland Indians home field during one of outings is that they “built it too close to the ocean.”

18. Dave Pallero says:

No shortage of orchestrated news today. This story really blows. Big brother has taken over the media and has 90% or more of the comments on all media sites creating the perception of public opinion.

Learn what Obama, Osama, Biden, Bin Laden, the FBI’s Most Wanted Terrorists, and Sarah Palin had to do with the last election and the Pentagon’s take over of our government.

19. Rev Jackson says:

Same here. He’s a dirtbag.

20. steve5150 says:

He did the same thing when he was playing for the Red Sox. All his screw ups and break downs were because he is black and the Red Sox were racists.
      Now all these years later we find out that what the Red Sox were blaming him for (wild inconcistency in his pitching and half crazy emotional out bursts) were not because the Red Sox management was racist it was because this numb nuts was high as a kite just like the Sox management said at the time.

21. Rev Right says:

I guess being a legless fall-down drunk just wasn’t enough.

22. rmiller says:

Hear! Hear! Once again it is not the black guys fault he was an ass. It is societies and he should be compensated for it. Face he is a loser!

23. Saw U play and U Sucked says:

No Mr. Boyd, it wasn’t because you were black and outspoken, it was because you were a loser. You had no talent, you never won agamein a critical situation, plainly put, you had NOTHING to offer but trouble. Gooden, and the others that got 2, 3, 4 chance all were superstars with upside potential if they could be straightend out. To compare yourself with Gooden is just plain rediculous!

2. Moe says:

The reason I caught the deep end to it is because I’m black

You did freaking drugs, sickening. Enough with the race card, it has been played.

3. MadCharles says:

Pro sports is such a sewer anymore. It hasn’t been right since Caminiti.
    Oh yeah, They’ll jump up and say not any more !! but come on. Shut up & cover up for access is still the world wide leaders of sport news motto. No shame.

1. onewhodidnt says:

not sure what you ,mean. caminiti was also a roid freak late in his career. i know cause i played. the attitude is “if you arent cheating, you arent trying hard enough to win”. imk not judging, thats just the truth.

4. Jim Turner says:

Shove your freaking race card right up your oil can, buddy and STFU!

1. John says:

Jim: You and Ernest hemmingway are the titans of short but incredibly informative sentences.

5. Ricks Friend says:

As my good friend Rick James used to say. That Cocaine is a hellava Drug

1. BS Detector says:

Yeah, but happy pills last longer and are cheaper.

6. Duff McSnuff says:

Wasn’t there a player that would slide into base head first so he wouldn’t crush the coke vial in his back pocket? Anyone remember that?

1. Midge Martin says:

Raines’s performance dipped in 1982,[6] as he hit .277 with a .353 on base percentage.[7] At the end of the season, Raines entered treatment for substance abuse, having spent an estimated $40,000 that year on cocaine.[6] To avoid leaving the drug in his locker, Raines carried it in his hip pocket, and slid headfirst when running the bases.[8] He used cocaine before games, in his car, after games, and on some occasions, between innings in the clubhouse.[9] Raines would later testify at the infamous Pittsburgh drug trials, in September, 1985.

2. Ervie says:

Vince Coleman slid head first.

7. james shitkowski says:

Ditto. The ‘I been wronged’ black man routine is where I stopped reading. Fortunately, baseball is purging those types. It is all corporate now and they wont tolerate losers and whiners like this guy. He wasn’t even that good, so he’s also deluding himself. No regrets….and he’s a dumb dufus on top of it all.

8. rwcx says:

This is why if quit watching Football,Basketball and Baseball. It’s all a bunch of crap.

9. brad says:

Explains why the Red Sox did not reach the World Series for years.

1. zimriel says:

Yeah, this.

Or, you know, racism.

10. Kris Boregard says:

I hope the movie tanks!

11. greg6363 says:

Tell us something we don’t know.

12. Oh God not again.... says:

RACE CARD. He musta learned that from Obama andHolder.

1. gramps says:

America has become ‘The Picture of ‘Dorian Gray’…..!

‘Ole Oil Can’, you’re another ‘victim’ of the likes of Tavis Smiley, MSNBC, Sharpton, Ed Schultz, Dyson, West, Jackson et al, They all make their $$ by telling the Folks/people that they’re allegedly trying to help…..they’re ‘victims’…..Creating a ‘poor me’, us against them, downtrodden, give me more, mindset!…..

The ‘R’ card no longer carries the weight, it once had.

The ‘Racism’ of the past is well on the wane/gone, those people mentioned have become the ‘racists’ of ‘today’, dividing & destroying America….

“to prove”:…….Here’s a ‘window view’, front row seat, ‘reality’ driven, picture of ‘America’ today….One only has to watch C-SPANS’ ‘National Journal’ (7 to 10am) for a few weeks to see how ‘totally’ polarized, angry, disturbingly uninformed, screwed up & demographically divided this country is…..Regardless of which side wins in November, the other will feel ‘totally alone, scared & disenfranchised’, they’ve done their job well…..

America’s current condition is the unintended result of Lyndon Johnsons ‘UNFUNDED’ ‘Great Society’…..(the debt limit has been raised ’70+ times’ since 1965, to sustain it)…..

She’s now ‘BANKRUPT’!…..Yet the people mentioned ‘above’…. want more & more.

If ‘Oil Can’ Obama wins,the uninformed, reality challenged, ‘Lemmings of the Left’ will continue ‘dragging’ America with them, as they flock to the sea.

13. David says:

Seeing how his career flamed out so quickly and his erratic behavior I must say that I am completely shocked and stunned by this totally unforeseen development.

Just as I was shocked when Paul McCartney finally admitted several years ago that the Beatles were high on drugs including LSD throughout the recording of Sgt Peppers.

14. Dirts says:

Taking the mound on cocaine? Classic.

1. JM in San Diego CA says:

Reminds me of a joke about Dwight Gooden from many years ago. The guy had to be a pitcher. They tried him in the field but he kept trying to snort up the foul lines.

15. Bob Stanson says:

The reason they got 3rd, 4th and 5th chances is because they were nice and people went out of their way to help them. What this “gentleman” doesnt seem to grasp is that what you called being “outspoken” the rest of the world (white, black, asian etc etc) called being a Dbag. Grow up and take responsibility for your own actions. Be a man and stop blaming everyone else.

16. Brent says:

This is a piece of human debris. He ha the talent to play a game that 99% of the American male population would give their right testical to play, and he throws it away. He is a junkie, and on top of that, A BIGOTED RECIST JUNKIE. You sir may rot in hell forever. I will never read or even buy your book, and will never see anything you are associated with. You are filth in my opinion and if you were in front of me I would spit in your face and then kick your recist backside for the mockery you placed on a game that many of us love.

17. Billy Bob says:

Did anyone else have this entire page surround by Valvoline Oil Change ads?

1. rreactor says:

Product placement fail

18. Pat says:

Did this idiot just say he didn’t get sympathy because he was black, but Daryll Strawberry and Dwight Gooden did?
    He needs to go crawl back under his ‘rock’.

19. been banned says:

YOu’re saying Billy Buck, Dwight, Yaz, Nomar, all the vets did what you did? They got something to say about any of this? How dare they allow this racist liar to play the role of Jackie Robinson. Shame on you Harrison Ford-you blind liberal fool. You hear what this nutbag said? He’s dangerous and so are you for supporting him in the film.

1. rwilliam says:

are you on cocaine… he’s playing Satchel Paige, not Jackie Robinson. It is so amazing how easily people judge others and can make comments. According to old ball players, players in the 60’s and 70’s took uppers like they were candy. The 80’s was filled with cocaine users. He hs a book coming out, he’s trying to sell it so he is going to give out some wild detaiils. It is great that the internet is full of perfect people who have so much free time to sit and judge the life of others.

2. mike says:

He’s playing the role of Satchel Paige I believe…

20. cageysea says:

There it is… it’s all because I’m black. What a sad, sad, little man.

21. RicardoCabeza says:

A shocking revelation that shocked absolutely no one Oil Can Boyd admits to being a junkie and blames whitey for being a junkie.

22. DigitalBob says:

Hey Mr Oil Can…NO ONE likes ANYONE with an attitude. Being black has nothing to do with it.

23. Blowthemandown says:

I played against Oil Can. I owned him.

24. rob mlakar says:

of course he did coke it was the 70’s an early 80’s everyone an their grandmoters did coke………… com on Shelly!!

25. Tron5000 says:

I don’t know why everyone’s railing on the guy for the race issue. Dude played a while ago; it’s not like he retired last year. I’m of the opinion that there’s probably some validity to his statements, based on the era in which he played and the makeup of MLB officials and owners at the time.

26. Nathan Wind as "Cochese" says:

The “Can” also had this brilliant observation after fog postponed a game in Cleveland in the 80’s:
    “That’s what they get for building a stadium next to the ocean.”

27. Keetanz says:

Not surprising. Doc Ellis threw a no-hitter under the influence.

28. lance says:

It’s “their” fault. So much for responsibility.

29. ROBERT D says:

Maybe his new nickname should be “Dime Bag” Boyd. I think it has a nice ring to it.

Let me tell you a little story about the Oil Can… Snow white and seven innings later, Boston had themselves a win.

This will be great though in twenty years when Will Smith can play Oil Can playing Satchel Paige in the movie about the book and the movie, coming to theatres near you.

30. Winston Galt says:

Yeah, he’s so right! It’s because he’s black! That’s why he didn’t get second chances!

You know, for the simple reason that he’s black he didn’t get chance after chance like Darryl Strawberry, and Dwight Gooden…

31. civil war vet says:

It is just so sad. Such a victim. I cry so many tears.

32. Eli Steinmen says:

“If I wasn’t outspoken and a so-called a ‘proud black man,’ maybe I would have gotten the empathy and sympathy like other ballplayers got that I didn’t get; like Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Steve Howe. Steve howe was black?

33. Albee Macaw says:

Man the Red Sox sound like a fun team to play for. One dude is doing lines before the game and another is slamming beers during the games in the clubhouse. Where do I sign up?

1. Russ Folden says:

34. hatesmecauseimbald says:

Race card….again.

35. Jim Hunter says:

Too bad he didn’t have a heart attack.

36. Poonky says:

This is all about selling books. I wouldn’t put too much stock in it being all truthful.

37. John Wright says:

“like Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Steve Howe. I can name 50 people that got third and fourth chances all because they weren’t outspoken black individuals.” Hey Oil Can I think 2 out of the 3 named by you as being given more chances because they were white are in fact BLACK like you! Your ignorance isn’t caused by race either.

38. Cary Okeigh says:

He’s exactly right. Race played a factor no doubt. Any of you ignorant idiots who still can’t see that and still don’t get it and are still hanging on to some weird pathetic delusion that racism doesn’t exist you need to get out of denial. And ya it’s 2012 (a time when TONS OF RACISM STILL EXISTS EVERYWHERE), but he’s not even talking about 2012, he’s talking about 30 years ago when it was even more prevalent in baseball.

1. BobH says:

Who has said racism doesn’t exist? Boyd blames racism for his treatment, then names other blacks who received understanding treatment. He went on to ascribe his outspokenness for his treatment. Outspoken d-bags tend not to get follow-up chances, no matter the color.

2. zimriel says:

Sure. But is there enough of it?

39. tom says:

I didnt know Pete Rose was black!

40. Sam Deakins says:

Maybe they shud now call him Dip Stick.

41. Get it right says:

Will White, Fleet Walker, and Welday Walker just cannot catch a break. Being the man who broke the color line does not make you the first black man to play in the majors, it makes you the first black man to play in the majors in 63 years or so. Robinson was fourth. Being so does not diminish his accomplishment or ignore what he went through, but calling him first does exactly that to the three who went before.

42. Giraffe Monsoon says:

What a load of crap. Dennis Boyd was a bum. He was a bad pitcher who had an occasional decent game.

43. Willy Brown says:

It was a good read till “I’m black”. Race card played no need to read the book now.

44. mjk says:

Very sad. But very typical of most Modern people. Blames everybody and everything , except himself. He is ultimately responsible for his failure and letting his team mates and fans down (the people who paid him large sums of money)

45. laurel says:

This administration has so overplayed the race card that people are tuning it out now. Find a new trump card.

46. Andy says:

I remember watching him get shelled when he was with the Rangers. I just wonder what his record would have been if he’d have played straight. Either he really sucked and coke made him better or he wasted his talent to end up right at .500. What a shame.

47. Steve says:

Soon as I saw the headline I said “Oil Can”. I bet most Red Sox fans did likewise.

48. Dennis D says:

Those who got 2nd and 3rd chances got them because they were superior players worth the risk like Steve Howe. Not a 500 pitcher like Oil Can

49. William S Munroe says:

Racism aside I give the Oil Can credit for speaking the truth.Anyone who thinks this is an isolated incident is being naive.How many games or plays have we seen & thought:That guy is wasted! Of course most likely the player is sober;Baseball is a hard sport that can make fools of even the Pros.Nevertheless, I’d be willing to bet Boyd is not the only athlete to play High.If Manny Ramirez wasn’t HIGH, he’d call in sick. The same applies to virtually ANY occupation in the USA.

1. DOC ELLIS says:

Thats not rue!! Baseball players NEVER get stoned on or off the field!!!! LIE’S! LIE’S!!!

50. Glen Garner says:

So “The Man” held a gun to his head and forced him to do cocaine?

51. David Simonoff says:

What’s baseball?

52. killerbee says:

Yep. The Detroit Tigers once again showed their bigotry by handing Prince Fielder $214 MILLION “racist” greenbacks. There greedy, racist organization requires Fielder NOT to do SMACK, ICE, H, Special K, MAUI-WOWIE, SID, CRACK, BLOW, or bath salts. Damn RACISTS!!!!!

53. Patriot says:

If he hadn’t been an afalete, he’d a been in prison a long time ago… What a narcissistic thug. Good riddance, oil can. Maybe the next time we hear about you will be in your obit.

54. Dave c says:

Ah another idiot screaming racism and blaming others for his bad choices and lack of guts to try and get help. The Jesse jack sons of the world have convinced people to cry their victims every time something doesn’t go their way and we are seeing fruition of this. Mr b equality goes both ways and part of the quest of equality is taking responsibility. Get lost loser.

55. Wes says:

unfortunately, the majority race in this country is more times than not the victim of the ‘race card’ – at least in respect to entrance into various educational institutions

56. Jon says:

Why do people feel they need to blame race when it was their own decisions that put them in their situation? He said that Buckner and such understood because they had been there, the last I saw of Buckner he was white, so race couldn’t have played a role if he did the same thing. Stop looking for an excuse and accept that it was you that did it to yourself.

57. Greg Miller says:

Let’s see….black guy….drugs….blames white guys…and there is something new here?

58. gareeth says:

I think it’s more about promoting his book and movie. Gotta get some press if you wanna sell your products.

59. Greg says:

This is NOT front page Drudge material.
    The only surprise is he wasn’t high 100% of the time.

60. Michelle says:

Most peope who fail consistently, are people who will blame external factors for their problems. Race is simply another excuse or diversion. The real problem with people are slaves to vices is lack of accountability. That happens to people of all races.

61. Jack P says:

The whole purpose in Boyd coming forward was to play the race card and the victim. Perhaps he is laying the groundwork, along with some sleazy lawyer, for a civil suit claiming it was MLB fault. You are a loser Boyd and you have spent your life blaming others for your own stupidity.

62. Rusty Kan says:

Doc Ellis pitched a no hitter on LSD, try that on cocaine, do you think somebody could have found a photo of OilCan in a Red Sox uniform….jus sayen

63. Ounce Oflogic says:

Ahhh… this all happened BECAUSE HE’S BLACK!
    That explains everything.
    Back to obscurity Oil Can.

64. Chicago Jack says:

“I’m a stand-up person and I came from a quality background of people.”” Right up until they spawned you huh brah….

Of course he had to pull the race card as well… ““The reason I caught the deep end to it is because I’m black. The bottom line is the game carries a lot of bigotry, and that was an easy way for them to do it,” Boyd said”

No, it was because you were a slimy untrustworthy deadbeat crackhead…

65. Mallen says:

Blacks are their own worst enemies.

Until they wake up and dig out of the pit they have made for themselves, they’ll never advance.

Topps Race Card, now trading everywhere blacks are found.

66. Tired of excuses says:

Ah, the old race card played by Boyd. Probably an Obama voter, too.

67. Austin Powers says:

Well boo frickin hoo. Another black victim. DISGUSTING !

68. oilypipeboyd says:

bwaaaa ha ha ha ha BLACKS PROVING THE BIGGEST RACISTS GOING…..black to the future…………..bwaaahahahahaha

69. Jim Bob says:

Like that darky Charles Barkley said… “This is why I hate white people!!!”.

70. Etta Jones says:

Whitey owes the black people and we want reparation. You will pay for what you did to us all those years and you better not say you aint responsible cause you is and you owe me.

1. art says:

Etta, you sure did not learn anything in school; that is, IF you went to school. Terrible English. You are probably already RECEIVING reparations from “Whitey”. It is called WELFARE!!!!!

2. cmag1971 says:

I’m not responsible and I don’t owe you squat.

3. cmag1971 says:

I am guessing you are not a mensa member?

4. dan says:

etta jones ..you have to learn how to speak… you aint ..aint another black person who is not educated..cause you is…go back to school etta

71. Barak Obama says:

I’m up in here because I’m black

72. Barzillai says:

I was eating dinner in Fort Myers Fl one night a few years ago at a sports bar. The guy sitting next to me downed at least 10 Johnny Walkers in the space of an hour. During that time I realized that this guy was Oil Can Boyd. It was apparent that he is still getting smashed and running his mouth about how bad America is for blacks. This guy and his drinking buddy, Spaceman Bill Lee are complete drunks and total A**holes!!!!!

73. pwm says:

Most of the time he pitched like he was coked up. And playing the race card……give it a rest OIL CAN! Too bad you didn’t OD right on the mound. What a pathetic piece of garbage……

74. Dale Berra says:

The Pirates had a cocaine store, and white guys did coke too…….where is our respect

75. art says:

That’s it, old 10W30 “Oil Can” Boyd……PLAY the race card. NO, you are a loser who had NO will power NOT to break the law and use drugs. No Hall of Fame for you, 10W30.

76. billy0919 says:

Oil Can Boyd didn’t like to pitch at Cleveland’s Municipal Stadium because of the conditions resulting from it’s proximity to Lake Erie. When asked why, he answered, “It’s too close to the ocean.”

77. thomas says:

As far as the perceived racism isn’t paranoia one of the effects of cocaine?

78. BS Detector says:

Another life ruined by the scourge of drugs.

Think of what he could have accomplished if he had only abstained from temptation, perdition and the road to hell.

We clearly need to build more prisons,

They provide jobs.

79. Aaron says:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

80. cmag1971 says:

I read with interest until he played the race victim card. Please most atheletes white or black would feel blessed to have the skills he had. So because he was a failure on a personal level, we should feel bad that he is some race victim? Sorry not happening.

81. ark614 says:

Oil Can comments are such a joke. He says he didn’t get sympathy for empathy bacuase he is black. But then he says players like Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry did. Excuse me, but they are black too. Maybe you need to look inward instead of your skin color to see why you didn’t get sympathy.

1. Hazmat77 says:

Oil can’s problem was most likely he just didn’t have the level of talent that he thought he did.

If your oil is black, doesn’t that mean it’s full of sludge?

he does a disservice to the memory of the great black ballplayers of the 1940’s and 50’s who suffered the pangs of racism yet endured long enough to shove the race card back into the deck.

82. glenp says:

sounds like the same clown activities we have with our gay black muslim cocaine snorting president driving this country to ruination

83. bulldog49 says:

As for Jackie Robinson being the “first” black in MLB, take tiime to look up Moses Fleetwood Walker. Might learn something.

84. No1Uknow says:

Even cocaine couldn’t help this mediocre player. I think he also free-loaded in the Astros bullpen at the end of his playing career before he faded away. It was common knowledge this guy was a drug abuser in the day…why is this news again, other than to discover he’s a racist as well?

85. TJD says:

86. Yourna Mehere says:

Only high two thirds of the time, that’s nothing, Obuma is high 100% of the time.

87. Barzillai says:

He won’t go to rehab because the doctor’s wear white jackets.

88. Barzillai says:

Oil Can is a reference to a can of beer. It was a nickname given to him by Dennis Eckersley.

89. Erica Latker says:

I don’t think I’ve ever read this many bigotted people’s comments on one page. Congratulations to all, you are officially members of the GOP (Greedy Old Pigs).
    Why don’t YOU all get off the race card and shut the F up and go back to work like you preach that we should all do. Deal?

1. Barzillai says:

When you collect your welfare check you should thank those greedy old pigs. Deal?

2. RW Reagan says:

If you actually read what Mr. Oil Can wrote you might notice that he brought race into the discussion. What you’re seeing (by way of all the comments posted in response) is that the majority of people are sick and tired of contrived victimization as an excuse for everything. If that makes one bigoted or a racist in your world then I’ll wear those badges with honor.

3. Barzillai says:

Here’s something to think about while you’re walking the mailbox. Greed or self interest has fed more people than charity ever has.

4. glenp says:

when was the last time you invited black people into your home your limosine lib dogooder hypocrite

90. August says:

Most successful & wealthy people in the USA (and world) get to where they are because of their lying, cheating, & stealing…It’s the American Way.

91. RW Reagan says:

Dennis “Race Card” Boyd needs to take responsibility for what he snorted up his own nose.

92. artcorvelet says:

Oil Can? It was not because you were black; it was because you were a cokehead whom they saw as a lost cause. They had families and major league careers. Did you self-centeredly expect them to risk both of those for your amped out a**?

93. DEEP says:

Proud to be Swedish American….. Not really white tho’? More of a kind of tanish to pinkish with blueish veins…….. Funny, the only Presidential Candidate that I have seen in a baseball uniform. The only one that openly stands up for black folks and poor people in general especially in regards to unfair treatment in our courts. The man that speaks of how non violent people are imprisoned in the drug war scam. The man that points out how the CIA deals the drugs (Iran Contra anyone?) and how drug war cops act like thugs. The man? A 76 yr old ‘white’ Doctor named Ron Paul!

94. Guinny_Ire says:

It’s not the black part, it’s the outspoken part. Outspoken white guys get sh!@#canned too.

95. jackg says:

you guys are really naive if you think being black isn’t harder than being white.

1. Barzillai says:

You are naive if you think being white isn’t harder than being black. Especially with racists out there like Oil Can Boyd and Obama.

2. glenp says:

yeah they really work hard (hahahaha) at being black and we all know how hard it is to make your skin black

my life is soooooo easy I liveon EASY STREET and swimming in money and everyone loves me regardless whether I am a d*ck or not I am so blessed to be white and have everything handed to me.

HEY JACK you dipschitt name 10 of your black best friends and count all the blacks you have to your home daily —oh yeah your mom doesn’t allow visitors in her basement

96. carlb says:

he lost me at the line of bigotry for his problems. his only problem was himself plain and simple. as for oabama his only bigotry comes from himself for hating his white side of the family. all learned from radical black proffesors at harvard. has any one wondered why he hides his records? its because once you look at his class load you can tell right away what he thinks.

97. TZ says:

I wonder if he regrets shattering Don Slaught’s face? I guess if he was “coked up” then, he probably doesn’t remember it, let alone regret it.

98. Woodwose says:

It’s interesting that Boyd would bring up Steve Howe in his complaint about how how horribly Boyd felt he was treated by baseball. Howe, who is white, by the way, was suspended from baseball seven times for substance abuse in his career, once in 1984 for the entire season and once “for life” in 1992 (which was later overturned). Boyd was never suspended, and according to him, never even tested for drugs. How simple-minded and stupid do you have to be to believe that you were discriminated against by baseball, when you were never suspended, and never even asked to take a drug test? Is Boyd seriously suggesting that baseball is to blame for his substance abuse problems because they didn’t step in and suspend his butt? This is just the case of another dumb jerk making up in his own mind reasons why he’s not to blame for his own decisions and own actions.

Shut the hell up Oil Can.

99. Em Spearing says:

Ho hum. Just another over-paid, way-over-adulated member of the jockocracy. There is nothing new under the sun.

100. Dan L says:

Yeah, Oil Can, the game was stacked against you because you are black. No one made him take a drug test because he was white — oh wait he was black.

101. Max Taber says:

Here we go again! Boyd had the whole world and he blew it. But of course it “whiteys” fault again. I’m sure Dwight Evans and Bill Buckner held him down and made him snort it.
    Time for the black race to take responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming other races for their inability to take care of themselves.

102. Richard G says:

So if he wouldn’t have been high, his record would have been 150-5. Awsome…

103. Florida Jim says:

If someone had said Oil Can Boyd was high they would have been called a racist. Why didn’t the payers say something they had to have known? Could it be the players union which protects the players regardless of the truth just as the Teacher’s Union in New York does.In his playing time “racist” was thrown around even more than today.

104. Nume says:

Threw out the race card of course…I stopped reading. Whitey made me do it….waaaaaa

105. Nume says:

And now I hear I get to pay for my neighbors house….who couldnt afford it to begin with. waaaaaa

106. NYYankees says:

Oil Can probably did face racism because he played a majority of his career in Boston, which is known to be the most racist city in America. The rest of us probably have a hard time believing him because we live in places outside of the Boston area. And he is probably still taking cocaine, just like Lawrence Taylor, who tried to make everyone believe we was clean, then got nailed with an underage prostitute.

107. Chippy55 says:

He’s black so it doesn’t surprise me that he’s up all night. You can go to any neighborhood in Pittsburgh in the summertime and blacks are having a cookout at 3:00 AM, it’s not racist, it’s just their culture. Whites have a tendency to get up early, blacks get up at noon and are still wide awake at midnight. Every day on the news here I see a shooting on the news in the black neighborhoods and then there’s usually a retaliatory shooting to follow. It’s just their culture.

108. ericoidx says:

Glad he got his act together but God, I am so numb to the race card anymore. When Eric Holder played the race card to keep congress from questioning his actions, that was it for me.

Funny though, Dwight Evans and Bill Buckner are both white and they both took the time to help the black guy whom they certainly hated. heh

109. Mickey Dineen says:

Boyd reminds me of the stereotypical Black guy in the genre of Herman Cain. Messed up on dope all the time shuffling along to his job with only one other thing on his mind. A fat white woman to make him feel superior.

110. Jim Rice says:

My favorite paragraph:

“The reason I caught the deep end to it is because I’m black. The bottom line is the game carries a lot of bigotry, and that was an easy way for them to do it,” Boyd said. “If I wasn’t outspoken and a so-called a ‘proud black man,’ maybe I would have gotten the empathy and sympathy like other ballplayers got that I didn’t get; like Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden . . . . ”

Uh, does anyone see any flaw in his reasoning?

111. Super Ball says:

I don’t like the race card, but we’re talking about a different era, the 80’s. Racism towards blacks was much more prevalent in sports than today. That is a fact.

112. chris says:

1 game over .500, who really cares, he must need more money to buy cocaine. Here is quarter, call someones who cares. Was he doing coke because he is black? so thats the white mans fault? He must be related to Obozo.

113. jeff3 says:

Just another let down from high paid loser, thanks for the great childhood memories….NOT

114. Marley Hustle says:

and all these purists want to not let these steroid guys in the HOF! There was more drug taking going on by ball players than you may think in the old days…and they get to keep all of those records…? Just entertain me! It’s a frkn game!

115. charley hustle says:

Sound like a bunch of uneducated morons, blaming ONE man for all of our country’s problems. Get a grip and Look in the mirror!

116. GozieBoy says:

Assume he is still getting high, since he said he liked it so much and there is nothing in the article to suggest he is not doing, as doper Obama describes it, “maybe a little blow”.

1. Dane Peters says:

King Hussein actually likes the crack pipe. He got the blow for his boyfriend Larry Sinclair, who gave him a different kind of blow- if you know what I mean.

117. Slade says:

Oil Can sound like he still be on drugs.

118. jim says:

whatever the vices of the day are, people will do them.
    some can function, some can’t.
    baseball is rascist against black people like football and basketball are against white people.

1. Dane Peters says:

Sounds like you haven’t watched a baseball game in quite some time. I would say 80% or more of the players are black or hispanic.

119. Count Yob says:

That’s right. Blame the white man because you’re a dope fiend and refuse to go to rehab.

120. Joe says:

I live in NY. Darryl and Dwight got more chances than anyone deserved! Dwight even skippped the WS parade for cocaine! As players they were a disgrace to the game just as Oil Can was. Color of skin is irrelevant. And Darryl was NEVER a “quiet black man” as he alleges. What a loser and ignorant person he is.

121. vanman2010 says:

Keep it off drudge-another black victom?? Boo-an excuse for everything!

122. Dutch says:

When are white people going to wake up to this. The black male makes up 6.5% of the US population, but commits 55% of all murders. Where ever they have lived, they are a scurge to any civilization; causing rape, murder and general chaos. They have low IQ’s and are uneducable!!g

1. Jas Aub says:

You do know of course by using such irrefutable facts you are considered a racist.

1. Mickey Dineen says:

you need to check the facts also if your going to lip off about something you know nothing about. There is something really wrong with the majority of black men in this country. Over fifty percent drop out of high school and of those 40 percent have been convicted of a felony. Most of the black men in this country have been disenfranchised from society. They can’t vote, They can’t get a job because they are felons. They can only live with their mother or girlfriend who is on all the government programs for single mothers. The only jobs they can get are to either steal or deal. Clearing mine fields is the only appropriate job for them.

123. Chris says:

In the last decade, I’ve attended more hockey games at Fenway than baseball games. I know were supposed to be the center of the baseball universe and all that, but nowadays even in July I’d rather go to a rink and play hockey than sit through a baseball game.

124. Damian Housman says:

So he figures cocaine helped him in his pitching career. The guy was 77 and 76. He was a .500 pitcher and gives CREDIT to cocaine? Without cocaine, he might actually have had a decent record. Some one along the way should have had him tested and sent to rehab for a while. Then he may have had a really good record, off cocaine. And he mentions Steve Howe. That guy was a drugged up loser, given chance after chance until he showed he would rather be high than get a major league paycheck. He turned a terrific potential career into failure, which is what Boyd has done. Race had nothing to do with it.

125. angus says:

No regrets? Why don’t you haul yourself doen to the TX/MX border and see the countless lives that have been lost or shattered due to drug smuggling–all to feed the appetite or selfish losers like you, you pathetic POS.

126. MAJack says:

Another day, another black victim. Yawn…

127. Russ says:

“That’s what they get for building a stadium on the ocean.”
    — Oil Can Boyd, after a game was fogged out in Cleveland

Nuff said!

128. Eric says:

“”Everybody does it.” Not true.

“They only picked on me because I’m black.” Not true.

This guy is a loser, and shows no signs of changing.

129. Jay Mo says:

Funny how the comments on most of these articles are usually riddled with racist remarks… yet when the content of an article includes a black man claiming to be a victim of racism, or “playing the race card” everyone doubts him, and thinks he is just “whining”. Well guess what folks, racism is real. Yes ignorant, stupid people that judge people for the color of their skin still do exist… and I do not doubt Oil can was subject to racism during his career. Time for you guys to wake up and smell the coffee.

130. Ms. Quinn says:

What about Doc Ellis pitching a “no-no” on LSD? The youtube video of tale is hilarious! So, Mr Oil Can, you were not the first pitcher to be blasted on the mound nor do I believe you will be the last.

131. P hertz says:

No one cares what Oil Can did 20 years ago. He’s 52 now…and still no one cares.

132. R. Keats says:

How about they didn’t support you because you were a terrible person. Who wants a drug addict, especially a proud drug addict on his team?

133. Mike says:

Were you a proud black man, or simply an ***hole? There is a difference and that difference goes a long way towards people feeling as though you deserve second or third chances. Your skin color is not the determining factor. All that being said, I liked watching you pitch. One never knew what would happen and the reason for that is now clear. Best wishes in your coaching career, but put the race card away. It’s a diservice to your teammates and makes you look like the south-half or a north bound mule.

134. Sneakers says:

I remember him well. He wasn’t that good,he was a total loser and malcontentwho DID constanrtly pull the race card, was given many chances by the BoSox to straighten up. Then this POS left, calling the club racist and saying he would never play here again. A few years later he sued the Boston Red Sox for not giving him a tryout. TNB at its finast.

135. Grizzell Bradt says:

OIl Can can’t pitch and catch the same ball Unless he’s coked up

136. akw says:

““The reason I caught the deep end to it is because I’m black. The bottom line is the game carries a lot of bigotry, and that was an easy way for them to do it,” Boyd said. “If I wasn’t outspoken and a so-called a ‘proud black man,’ maybe I would have gotten the empathy and sympathy like other ballplayers got that I didn’t get; like Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Steve Howe. I can name 50 people that got third and fourth chances all because they weren’t outspoken black individuals.”

I stopped right there. Strawberry and Gooden are both black, so your race card is maxed out, Oil Can!!

137. Sean says:

Damn Oil Can, quit dry snitchin’! You did blow, leave everyone else out of it.

138. Michael says:

He said it all when he admitted he could have won a 150 games if he had not been out of his mind on cocaine . Just like Mickey Mantle when he finally admitted his stats could have been a lot better if he had laid off the whiskey. But at least Mantle admited it was his fault and did not blame others for his personal failings. It is called Character, a word old Oil Can should look up.

139. biffula says:

I don’t think Boyd understands racism. If he didn’t get another chance because of his skin color, then no other blacks would have gotten another chance. That’s what racism is. That Boyd was outspoken was beside the point. No Boyd, ti wasn’t the color of your skin, it was that you were an a-hole.

140. crypticguise says:

Sorry, Oil Can…you sound a bit whiney and oiley with the race card comment. Whitey made me do it. It’s not my fault, racism, racism, racism… ad nauseum.

141. jack says:

Hey Brent….
    It’s spelled “RACIST”….not “recist”
    Nobody seems to remember where he got the nick-name “oil can”….
    Supposedly it was because he drank so many cans of beer (that looked like oil cans) both on and off ballpark property in both the majors and minors that it “became” his “name”.
    Just imagine if he had the nick-name “BEER CAN”.
    Lastly, do you think that he will even “READ” the book that he will “supposedly”
    (at least partially) “WRITE”?

1. Barzillai says:

Dennis Eckersley gave him the nick-name “Oil Can”.

142. Kurt Bloomer says:

I thought his use of cocaine was well know. This is old news.

143. Arnelle J. Meyer says:

Those of us who went on the Red sox cruise really got to know Dennis and Karen Boyd and their children. I consider him a personal friend and have respect for him because he told the truth. Unlike Roger”eat some more donuts” Clemmens who lied thru his teeth about steroid use. When Wade Boggs was in trouble over Margo Adams Dennis advised him to stand up like a man and apologise to his team mates just as he had to do when he was not picked for the All Star game in 1986, He won 16 games with a month’s suspension. he would have been a 20 game winneer!

144. big nel says:

dude wht major leaguer hasn t used a drug