Tim Thomas Skips White House Ceremony

BOSTON (CBS) – Bruins goalie Tim Thomas declined to attend the team’s Stanley Cup celebration with President Barack Obama at the White House on Monday.

Thomas, who is known to support the Tea Party, told Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli months ago that he would not attend the event due to his political differences from the Obama administration.

“Everybody has their own opinions and political beliefs and he chose not to join us,” said Cam Neely.

Thomas released a statement on his Facebook page about his decision:

“I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT”

Thomas, one of just two Americans on the Bruins team that won it all (along with defenseman Steven Kampfer), won the Conn Smythe and Vezina trophies to help the Bruins win their first Stanley Cup since 1972 last June.

Bruins President Cam Neely released the following statement:

“As an organization we were honored by President Obama’s invitation to the White House. It was a great day and a perfect way to cap our team’s achievement from last season. It was a day that none of us will soon forget. We are disappointed that Tim chose not to join us, and his views certainly do not reflect those of the Jacobs family or the Bruins organization. This will be the last public comment from the Bruins organization on this subject.”

Comments

1. Dave_D says:

Political differences or not,… just plain rude. Nuff said…

1. Julie the Jarhead says:

No, it’s not ’nuff said’. You don’t have the last word on this or anything.

Would you rather TT be a hypocrite?

1. gramps says:

It’ll be interesting to see as Thomas’s name is is anounced @ the various NHL cities, like Detroit, Chicago, New York & LA……

Will he be cheered?? or Booed?

The answer will be ‘very telling’…

gramps

2. TOTALLY RUDE says:

Absolutely! The unprofessional comments from the ignorant haters shows why this country is in the shape we find ourselves. They were never schooled in professionalism. How Tragic !!!!

2. bigperm33 says:

Thomas is an idiot. Play hockey, stop pucks, and shut up.

1. gramps says:

Thomas told the the likes of yourself, liberal anchors, & to whomever else it applies to, to….

“Go PUCK themselves”, well done Tim!

A goalies ‘HAT-TRICK’!

Well done Tim!

gramps

1. elaw says:

Thomas didn’t tell anyone anything. Had he gone to the event, he might have been able to share his views with the president of the United States… an opportunity few get. Instead he chose to act like a child who pouts and refuses to engage in dialog. I guess some people stop acting like a 6-year-old when they turn 7 and others don’t…

2. Justin B DiNero says:

your the idiot! you have no idea or any common sense to know that OBAMA HATES AMERICA

1. elaw says:

We all have the opportunity to choose to believe right-wing hyperbole or the facts. It’s pretty obvious which one you’ve chosen…

3. Bruins Fan says:

My opinion of Thomas just dropped dramatically. As one of the few US players on the team, he can’t summon decent enough manners to attend an event hosted by the President of the United States honoring his team?? Just plain rude is right.

1. ELaw says:

Rude… you forgot “childish”, “selfish”, “petty” and several others. Problems don’t get solved by refusing to engage with those whose views differ from your own.

1. Enough says:

AS IF anyone in Washington would have listened to anything he had to say? They would smile and nod for the cameras, while hearing “blah blah blah”. Washington has heard nothing the voters have said, nor do they care. Pelosi “let’s get this health care law passed so we can see what’s in it” no matter what the voters said about not passing it……. gridlock between the parties despite voters telling them to do their jobs……. etc etc etc. Yes, you do the team thing but to say he should have tried to tell Obama how he feels is a mute point, because Washington may hear but they don’t “LISTEN”

2. firemanmark says:

You elitist liberals always think you’re smarter than everyone else. Let me guess…liberal arts degree..community organizer…aclu card holder…pro-bono defense atty…am I warm? Liberals have been drinking WAAAY to much of the Kool-aid.While you people are at it…give us back the Democratic party that you’ve hijacked.The Dems once stood for the working man now they stand for the non-working,illegals,no ID voting,EBT,free phones; ad nauseum. Tim Thomas is exercising his !st Amendment rights! Something that leftists think belomngs only to them.I hope he exercises his 2nd Amendment rights too before Adolph Obama and his brown shirts take that away!!

3. tsal says:

firemanmark – having a bad day are you?

4. Jane Parker says:

I always thought tea party supporters acted like they’d taken too many pucks to the head. Now I know it’s true.

5. Joe says:

I love the bruins and Tim Thomas. However, this is the problem when athletes make political statements, on either side of the isle, while still playing their sport. Though I agree with some of his views and respect his right not to attend, I disagree with his decision to do so. This is about the team and ownership winning as a collective team.

Also, It’s not about the president in the office who is honoring you. It’s about the honor of the office itself that is honoring you. Again, I’m not a supporter, but if Obama invited me to the White House I would ask what time would you like me to be there Mr. President..

Just my .02

1. Italo says:

Extremely well-said, IMHO, Joe. The event wasn’t about Tim, it was about the team. Another self-centered, spoiled brat, adult-sized little boy paid big money to not shave and play with a hockey puck.

6. allamerican says:

I guess you can have great physical gifts and still be stupid with no class.

7. Joey says:

Get over it you fools!!! Kudos to Tim Thomas!!! I wouldn’t want to be in the presence of that no good Marxist, either!!

1. Jim_J says:

Your IQ number must be about the same as the speed limit on the Mass. Pike.

8. D barendre says:

Not a Boston fan but kudos to Tim Thomas for saying it like it is! If the train wreck of political ignorance continues unchecked hockey will be the last thing on anyones mind

9. Julie the Jarhead says:

How dare TT make a political statement!!! /sarcasm

I’m buying me a TT jersey!

10. America1 says:

Tim I agree with You and especially your statement. These “Sheeple” and purveyors of PC is what got this country into this mess. Thanks for standing your ground!

11. steve g says:

What Tim Thomas did was bush league…No one said you had to vote for Obama…How about going to the White House to celebrate the fact that you live in a country where you are paid 5 millions dollars a year to play a freakin game..Yeah, like your freedoms have been compromised ..give me a break you bush leaguer… Go Tuukka

12. Yanni says:

Why do idiots like this always assume that they matter. Some people go along with The President and some don’t, but that doesn’t have one darn thing to do with the President congratulating this team on their accomplishments. People today (esp. politicians) who claim they are so patriot and christian are always the one who don’t seem to have a problem with being disrespectful. But I’m glad he did what he did, because i wouldn’t want my President giving props to a turncoat fool like him. President Obama has far to much class for that. One thing this young man needs to know if the table were turned President Obama would never disrespect him or anyone else. Just remember that Mr.Joe Tea Partier!!

1. firemanmark says:

Obama is the turncoat you dolt! Try looking up the meaning of the word.Obama wouldn’t disrespect anyone? He jumped all over the Cambridge Police Dept.for their supposed bigotry.The CPD were doing their jobs and this Socialist Marxist Liberal went and opened his big mouth before learning the facts.He will go down in history as the worst president ever to hold the office.How about his corrupt AG holder or his tax-evading Treasury Secretary? You Liberals make me puke!

13. timcan3atad1ck says:

Tim Thomas is a racist

1. firemanmark says:

You must be a “minority”.Yeah,only us white folk can be racists! It has nothing to do with race.Tim Thomas,like many of us,doesn’t want to be in the presence of a man who ignores the Constitution that he swore to uphold;who lets the Black Panthers off the hook for voter intimidation;who kisses the butts of mid-east leaders and is trying to bury this great Republic with his Marxist rhetoric!! Stop playing the race card like those pimps Sharpton and Jackson!

2. gramps says:

Morning timcan3atad1ck,

America has become ‘The Picture of ‘Dorian Gray’…..!

Now-a-days, if anyone disagrees with the likes of yourself or Smiley, Sharpton, Ed Schultz, Dyson, West, Jackson et al, they’re automatically trumped with the ‘R’ Card!……It use to ‘stifle’ people….

“NOT ANY MORE”!…People like you & your ‘willy-nilly’ use of the word, have rendered the word ‘Benign’!

The above all make their $$ by telling the people, that they’re allegedly trying to help…..they’re ‘victims’…..Creating a ‘poor me’, us against them, downtrodden give me more, mindset!

The ‘Racism’ of the past is well on the wane/gone, those people I’ve mentioned & their followers, have become the ‘racists’ of ‘today’, dividing & destroying America….

Here’s a ‘window view’, front row seat, ‘reality’ driven, picture of ‘America’ today….

One only has to watch C-SPANS’ ‘National Journal’ (7 to10am) for a few weeks to see how ‘totally’ polarized, angry, disturbingly uninformed, screwed up & demographically divided this country is…..Regardless of which side wins in November, the other will feel ‘totally alone, scared & disenfranchised’, they’ve done their job well…..

America’s current condition is the unintended result of Lyndon Johnsons ‘unfunded’ Great Society…..(the debt limit has been raised ’70+ times’ since 1965, to sustain it)….. She’s now ‘BANKRUPT’!…..Yet the people mentioned want more & more.

gramps………PS

IMO:

If Obama wins,the uninformed, reality challenged, ‘Lemmings of the Left’ will continue ‘dragging’ America with them, as they flock to the sea.

3. Joe says:

Typical ignorant liberal tactic. When all else fails, or you have no clue what your talking about you just blindly throw the race card. Did you actually read his statement? He specifically stated that he wasn’t protesting the current president but rather both parties and the overall political system. I’m pretty sure that includes white politicians as well as black politicians.

1. tired of liberals says:

Well said Joe. LIberals just shoot their mouths off and do not realize how foolish they truly sound.

14. Alan Ryan says:

The Bruins are disappointed that Thomas didn’t attend the White House ceremony.

Will this issue drive a wedge between Thomas and the organization? Will it be a deciding factor when it comes time to decide whether to keep Thomas or Rask?

15. felix says:

I now have two Tim Thomas Stanley Cup Finals jerseys for sale to the highest bidder. How selfish to embarrass the Bruins like that. And how disrepctful of the United States of America. He better keep winning to keep his day job, since he obviously doesn’t have the brains to do anything else.

1. Justin B DiNero says:

Obama disrespects AMERICA YOU FREAKING IDIOT!

TIM THOMAS IS A HERO

16. firemanmark says:

You Socialists need to get jobs and realize that the Pretender In Chief is a Marxist of the worst kind.He and his Chicago cronies are a bunch of ideological misfits! They wouldn’t know the truth if it fell on them.Go Tea Party…the real Americans!!

17. Justin says:

Actually my respect for Thomas just rose a notch.

18. Scott says:

Wow, this must be where the liberals hang out. I guarantee that the same people leaving anti Thomas comments and preaching about respect were the same one’s who were extatic about Bush getting a shoe thrown at him. He has every right not to show up and I applaud him for it. The real travesty is a Bruins jersey with that communist’s name on it.

19. Vincent Medici says:

Well done Tim! We still have freedom of speech, and I respect you for exercising yours. I’m with you, both parties are ruining this once great nation (including the NeoCons who took over Ron Pauls Tea Party).

1. ELaw says:

How exactly is hiding at home when you’ve been given an opportunity to present your views to a powerful person in government exercising free speech? It sounds more like being a coward to me.

20. Greg Vine says:

What a chump! Take the teams’ day and make it all about “me.” Selfish nit-wit. Obviously been stopping too many pucks with his head. This hero is now a big, fat zero. Another person I can use as an example to my grandchildren of who NOT to be like.

1. timma says:

guess your a nucks fan

21. Nate says:

Big up to Tim Thomas. As a Bruins fan and a left-anarchist I support Thomas’ right to make his own decisions and not bow to pressure to hide his politics, and condemn him for standing strong in the face of oppressive comments from the center, liberals and conservatives. Even though I disagree with the reasons for which he disapproves of the president, I’m no fan of Barack Obama either, whom I find to be all too willing to exercise his force of arms to indiscriminately murder people overseas without due process, threaten people in the U.S. with indefinite detention by the military, and kowtow to large corporations in finance, health care, and defense. Kudos to Thomas.

22. Nate says:

Haha, I meant “commend him for standing strong”. Too bad I can’t edit posts

23. Linda says:

I also applaud Tim Thomas for standing up for his rights, to bad more Americans don’t. obummer is not only destroying our great Country, he is bring shame on the White House.

24. Moon The Loon says:

I applaud Tim’s actions. Obama’s a quasi-Muslim who has defaced on the Constitution. He has a Muslim father and an Atheist mother but uses the church as a front. Also, his wife is a hardcore racist who hates white people. The Tea Party are racists and Occupy Wall Street are being used and abused by Obummer the LONG LEGGED MACK DADDY!

1. Nool eht noom says:

How much does Gingripsh pay you per post ?

1. Justin B DiNero says:

Tim Thomas is a hero and its idiots like you who are nothing but subhuman idiots and you deserve to be destroyed

2. ELaw says:

The amazing thing is that the conservanuts believe everything Fox News spews without being paid a cent! I guess when you have only 1 source of information, it’s easy to lose perspective.

25. Pau says:

Out rages….. what a show of disrespect….. poor role model….. trade him quickly … he is like a cancer grows out out dam spot!!!!

1. Justin B DiNero says:

Obama hates America you freaking idiot but your just a subhuman idiot

26. merimack says:

Good for Tim :)
    It is hard to stand up for principle. Glad Tim had the courage to do just that!!!!!

1. YaKnow says:

Exactly merimack.

27. rrc says:

He’s not the first and won’t be the last. I too applaud Tim for expressing his beliefs and standing up for them. Growing up, I was always told “dare to be different when different is right.” Just maybe he thought he was right. Why don’t more people stand up for what they believe? I have even more respect for him as he told it like it was, he didn’t make up stories about why he wasn’t going, and in fact, he didn’t owe anyone an explanation. But, he did, and everyone should respect him for his own views, beliefs, and choices he makes as a free citizen. If Obama or the like stays in office, soon we won’t have that freedom!

28. web says:

This isn’t a communist country, why should he be forced to go to something he chooses not to? Why is everyone so upset? And for those that think he can have a dialogue about his opposing views with the president, um, hello, this is a photo op, not a debate or talk. You go or don’t, it’s his choice still …..right?

1. web says:

Wanted to add that I like Obama, he’s fine..I don’t love him, but I don’t think he’s the devil either. He’s fine…doesn’t bother me, and TTs action shouldn’t bother others either. It’s his choice to go or not….

29. EDB says:

This is too funny! If Tim Thomas where some Hollywood yahoo, being a cheerleader for Obama you all would be pledging your first born, LOL! But because he doesn’t drink the kool-aide relating to Obama he is labeled a racist and told to just play sports and not talk about politics.
    How many of you would tell the likes of Sean Penn, Angelina Jolie, Alec Baldwin, etc. the same, LOL!!!!!
    Show of hands how many more Massachusetts democratic drones are running low on kool-aide? ROFLMAO!!!!

30. response says:

I see this as two different things. When your job tells you to travel, you do. It’s part of your job. In this case, it was part of TIm’s job to go to the White House as part of the team. We all do things in while working, that we may not agree with, but it’s a job and it has to be done. He went to play the Capitols, did he not?

If Tim Thomas has a problem with the government. Good for him, a lot of us do.
    Then, don’t go to Washington on your own time, on your own dime.
    I wouldn’t either.
    However, if I had to go for work, I would have to bite the bullet and go.

1. fred says:

This wasn’t required – it’s like deciding not to go to the Christmas party. He only has one vote. If this was another way to express his disatisfaction then so be it – he has that right. How many union members vote opposite the union’s choice? How many atheletes did not show up when Bush was president – they were portrayed as speaking truth to power no doubt. Much ado about nothing. I am sure Obama would say he was a big Blackhawks fan back in the 1970’s – but I doubt he could come up with a single players name – no even Bobby Hull.

31. Stanley11 says:

I’m betting that Tuukka gets the nod in net tonight….

32. Joe says:

Hey Jon Keller, I have a good idea on a story for you. Go back to 2007 and find all the news stories and articles about Theo declining his invitation from the Bush white house after the red sox world series victory. I’m sure the liberal Boston media went after Theo then the same way they are going after Thomas now. I’m sure the globe had a scathing editorial on why Theo was wrong for not going. Right? ……………. Right? Yawn…………..

1. tsalnew says:

Joe why the attack on Jon – I don’t believe this is his story. And BOTH anyone who declines an invitation because he apparently can only be in the room with those who have the same opinion he has is wrong. Check out the Greg Norman story about Clinton. He’ll tell you exactly how wrong it is to pre-judge. Good luck with making this a republican democrat story – very typical.

33. firemanmark says:

@ Elaw: Obviously you are one of those left-wing elitists.You know,the ‘educated’liberal with the Harvard mouth and “Socialism will save the world” attitude.You belong in Greece or Yugoslavia with the rest of the idiots who think taking from the workers to give to the non-workers is somehow morally superior to good old fashion work.My ancestores came here and were greeted with NO IRISH NEED APPLY.They worked themselves up to where now my kids have great opportunity.BUt it takes hard work.Something you Socialists don’t have a clue about.You want my sweat to pay for these immigrants likie Obama’s auntie and uncle who think we owe them! I got screwed out of 7 years thanks to affirmitive discrimination and now I’m supposed to bend over for them? Drink the Kool-aid you moron!

34. Joe says:

Tsalnew, This was IN NO WAY an attack on Jon. I love Jons work, he does a great job and I respect his opinion. This was a serious point relating to what I think would be an important story showing the hypocrisy in this state. If Obama were a republican this would be a non story just like it was with Theo and Bush. It would be a story but nothing to the extent it is now and just because Obama is a democrat. If you think I’m exaggerating then you obviously don’t understand the political makeup of this state.

1. tsalnew says:

Joe – I was weaned on the political makeup of this state – sitting in my living room or me in theirs were politicians ranging from Volpe to Sareent to Brooke to Kissinger. I understand that it is equally democrat and republican – check it out. Then check out the story of Greg Norman and President Clinton and what H. W. Bush had to say. Then get back to me on whether it’s a republican or democrat thing or just that is what you want it to be.

I sincerely apologize for thinking you were attacking Jon.

1. Joe says:

Tsal, if you are referring to the time Norman almost declined an invitation to play golf with then President Clinton I am well aware of the story. He changed his mind when H told him to put aside his personal beliefs and not to disrespect the office of the president. He then accepted his offer, they played golf, he changed his opinion of Clinton the person and realized never to pre judge people again.

However, that story just further supports my argument. Let me be clear. I disagree with Tims decision not to attend. If it were me, regardless of my views on Obama, I would have gone to the white house. My point is the articles that have already been written and others that will soon follow, did not exist when Theo decided not to attend the white house under Bush. That is an undeniable fact. As in independent voter I love the fact that Bush SR, Norman and Clinton have come together to fight certain issues together as one.

Thomas decision to not attend and my point on the media bias are two separate issues. Though you may believe that democrats and republicans are evenly represented in this state I don’t. All you have to do is look at the D or R before all of our state and national representatives names. It’s not even close. On top of that if you don’t think there is a liberal media bias in this state then we will have to agree to disagree on that. Again, just look at the first 24 hours of stories relating to Thomas then go back and look at the Theo stories. It’s black and white proof.

2. tsalnew says:

Joe – the bloggers were not around at the time you were talking about. I find that the blogs alone create the problems with no defining line between right and left. I tend to have the sense that this blog is full of very right wing angry people. There are many times I can’t even read the insults tossed around. I was pleasantly surprised to find a good number here today disagreeing with Thomas’s choice.

There is no question that the slate at the moment in this state is liberal. However, historically it has been an even divide – perhaps even leaning a bit right. You say you are independent, yet you demonize the press and politicians by calling them liberal. Thomas stated it had nothing to do with either party and everything to do with government period. Why are you making it about one party when even he did not?

I will repeat that it has to do with respect which is exactly what H. W. Bush said and what it seems many here have said. Are you assuming that everyone here who feels Thomas is wrong is liberal???? I can tell you that every person I have spoken to is anything but liberal and feels he is wrong. Common sense and respect are not limited to one party.

Thomas had the right to decline because we have the freedom to do what we want in this country. I feel as if we abuse that freedom and have not only lost respect for each other but for our country and the freedom it offers. My opinion and mine alone. Not saying anyone but I have to believe that. I am saying it is not a partisan problem – respect is lost across the aisle.

35. pocasset says:

Tim Thomas didnt have the guts to stand up for what he believed in, he stayed at home and took the easy way out. Just complained like everyone else. Not a team player, no spine left in Cam. I guess Tim should stay home and play for the redwings now since he is not a Bruin.

1. Joe says:

Say what you want about him not attending but how on earth can you say he didn’t have the guts to stand up for what he believed in?? That’s insane! Whether you agree with his views or not it took huge cohones to stand up for what he believes in by not going. He knew the heat he would take and did it anyway. The easy thing would’ve been to just swallow his pride and go but he didn’t do that. If blowing off the President means not having guts and standing up for your beliefs then I don’t know what is.

1. pocasset says:

how about being a man and standing for what you believe in, not staying home in your jammies to blog about it.

36. Joe says:

37. Joej says:

And on a personal note, I think Thomas should have gone which I stated in a previous comment. This was about the teams accomplishment, he was a huge part of it and he should have attended. I didn’t vote for Obama, I don’t agree with his policy and I won’t vote for him this time. However, if I were invited to the white house to be recognized for the accomplishment of my team and myself I would respectfully attend and respectfully shake the hand of my president. That being said, I also respect his right to decline. D

38. Kev says:

None of us have the right to judge Mr Thompson on his actions. He chose to make them public. He has the right to express those views. Sometimes there comes an opportunity for someone to make their views known,. Obviously he felt these views were more important to express than the effect it has on the Bruin’s. Contrary to what the sports pundits say, I don’t think this effects team cohesion or performance. There are more important things going on in this world than what a hockey players do or say..

39. tsal last says:

Will try to get my comment to you Joe to appear here – I see you are having problems also.

There is no question that the slate at the moment in this state is liberal. However, historically it has been an even divide – perhaps even leaning a bit right. Thomas stated it had nothing to do with either party and everything to do with government period. I have trouble understanding why you are making it about one party when even he did not?

I will repeat that I believe it has to do with respect which is exactly what H. W. Bush said and what it seems many here have said. Are you assuming that everyone here who feels Thomas is wrong is liberal???? I can tell you that every person I have spoken to is anything but liberal and feels Thomas is wrong. Common sense and respect are not limited to one party.

Thomas had the right to decline because we have the freedom to do what we want in this country. I don’t understand how someone will not be with a person who simply has a different point of view. My respect for Thomas has dropped tremendously. I feel as if we abuse that freedoms we have and have not only lost respect for each other but for our country and the freedoms it offers. My opinion and mine alone. Not saying anyone but I have to believe that. I am saying it is not a partisan problem – respect is lost across the aisle.

40. The Batman says:

I think Tim Thomas showed incredibly bad taste and manners in not accepting the invitation that was extended to him. For some reason, many (not all by any means) sports figures, movie and music stars and other “celebrities” think it’s OK to be rude, crude and obnoxious. And as a result, those that put these people up on a pedestal tend to want to emulate their behavior. I’ve said it many time before and I’ll continue to repeat it for the rest of my life that we have been blessed to live in a country that was founded on so many freedoms but too many forget that with those freedoms comes an awesome responsiblity to uphold and defend to freedoms for all not just for personal gain or selfishness. Thomas should have attended out of respect for the offer and the office which have nothing to do with the man making the offer.

I just want to add that even though he has the “right” to do what he did, by doing so he demeans and diminishes the “right” that he holds so dear.

1. web says:

Batman, while I agree with most of what you said, I disagree on your ending. You can’t argue someone has the right to do something but at the same time diminishes that right..you can’t argue both sides. If you truly believe he had a right to do what he did, that is the end of your point. By saying he diminishes that right, you’re basically saying he shouldn’t have that right or he’s somehow destroying the right. You’re contradicting yourself a bit.

1. tsal last says:

web I’m afraid I have to disagree with you and completely agree with Batman. As I said, we are abusing our freedoms. We no longer respect them in too many cases. I agreed with all Batman said but felt his last sentence was the most powerful statement I’ve heard to date.

2. gramps says:

You sound like ‘Robin’.

Nothing was said when the Red Sox went & ‘Theo’ (Sox GM) was a ‘no show’ @ the Bush White House, it’s OK for ‘the left’ to take a stand….

Thomas does the same thing & you ‘lefties’, along with the
      ‘liberal/progressive media’, start throwing your ‘TEDDY BEARS’!…

Some even tossing their ‘R’ card!

‘OUTRAGEOUS’!

gramps

3. The Batman says:

I’ll have you know I’ve never been a “southpaw” in my life.

41. HM says:

This event at the White House was not a political event but an occasion for the nation and the President to honor a championship team. By not attending, TT was rude to his teammates, the President, and the nation.

42. tsal says:

For those applauding Thomas and his right to choose, how do you feel about what the meeting ultimately became? It was a day for the entire Bruins team. It was not a Thomas day. Yet Thomas decided to make it about him. I always thought a team played as a team and that one member did what was best for all. At the very lease, he could have made the announcement days before and let some of the fallout diffuse.

Yes as an American citizen he had the right. As a decent human being he might have thought of someone other than himself.

1. Nate says:

“It was a day for the entire Bruins team. It was not a Thomas day. Yet Thomas decided to make it about him. I always thought a team played as a team and that one member did what was best for all. At the very lease, he could have made the announcement days before and let some of the fallout diffuse.”

That’s one of the only valid points anyone on this comment board has made. Thomas definitely could have announced his intention a few days in advance, or simply informed the team privately that he’d not be attending, and then waited until after the event was over to justify his absence to the media if asked. However, Thomas is not alone to blame for the fact that the day became one about himself and his issues with the president; the media, both conservative and liberal, had as much of a part (if not a larger one) to play in making that happen.

Though I agree with you that Thomas could have gone about this in a different, and perhaps better way, I do still support his right to make a conscious and public political act and applaud him for not abdicating his political beliefs simply because some (who apparently think it’s obligatory for every American to have some undefined “respect” for members and leaders of the state apparatus) find those beliefs and Thomas’ actions disrespectful, shocking, or selfish.

Again, I say this as a far-left anarchist-communist, whose own beliefs are diametrically opposed to that of Thomas and whose criticisms of President Obama originate in a wholly different place.

43. wyatt says:

Hats off to Thomas. A man of integrity. Thanks for getting the message out.

44. tsal says:

Listen to half of you – the right is calling the liberals names, the left is calling the conservatives names. It is about as sad as it gets. It’s not about right or left – it’s about respect – and if you don’t think Thomas should respect the president or the office of the presidency, he sure as heck should respect his team members.

How foolish to begin to believe that manners and respect have an R or a D following them. Good grief.

1. The Batman says:

And that, in a proverbial nutshell, sums it quite nicely.

2. gramps says:

It’s ‘NOT’ about respect…..

It’s about ‘TOO’ much ‘SPENDING’!

gramps…..PS

The highlight of tonights ‘State of the Union’ will be the ‘well deserved’
      standing ovation from both sides of the isle, for ‘Gabby Giffords’…..

A tough gutsy Lady…..

I wish her well..

Tissues all around!

1. pocasset says:

too much spending so you must be in the wrong place unless you think he gets paid too much to skate. we are talking about a guy that works for the bruins not a politician. he didnt show up for work.

2. gramps says:

On the contrary, Thomas showed up ‘BIG TIME’!

“He dun good”!

gramps

45. bb says:

I believe we still live in a free country where a person should be able to make their own decisions. Too many people just toe the line and aren’t willing to stand up for what they believe. Thomas didn’t make it about him, the media did, Hat’s off to him!

1. tsal says:

when he leveled his decision at the last minute knowing how it would overshadow the rest of the teams invitation to the white house? Really – he didn’t make it about him?? He may have stood for what he believes but he sure didn’t stand for his team.

1. firemanmark says:

Thomas let the team know months ago that he would not attend.Once again,tsal,you show how clueless you Socialist/Marxists really are.Go back to the home .

2. gramps says:

The team knew ‘TWO’ weeks ago!

gramps

46. The Batman says:

Thomas did make it all about himself when he didn’t join his team mates at the White House. He didn’t win the championship all by himself, it took a team to do that and his self centered behavior showed how little respect he has for the TEAM that he was a part of that accomplished so much.

47. Willow says:

With all of the notoriety and money that Tim Thomas has, if he disagrees so much with the president, then why not run for office himself. I did not vote for Obama, but as I’ve said in the past, if he fails, we all do. We should try supporting and praying for our president instead of finding fault with everything and pasting a label to it. I would like an invite to sit and get a chance to speak face to face with the president. Whether it does any good or not, I would at least be able to voice my concerns in person.

48. Rosie says:

As long as athletes do the job they’re paid to do, and as long as what they choose to do on their own time is not illegal or immorak, I don’t care. Just one other thought — what took the White House so long to honor the Bruins? They won the Stanley Cup MONTHS ago!

49. Steve says:

How come no-one made a big deal when Theo chose to not go to the White House after the Sox won when Bush was president? Theo did not go for political reasons as well, yet the media commended him.

50. ShawnC from TO says:

After reading numerous posts on the net and seeing so many negative comments, it is clear people have lost site of what’s at stake. Over the last 50 years (at first gradually) we have been subject to more and more ‘legislated’ laws which have reduced our freedoms.

The roots of our freedoms (maxims in law – our inherent common (sense) laws) and how to preserve them (the court process) w/ education isn’t common knowledge and we are paying the price as the minds of the populace have been ‘programed’ for conformity. They “say” our freedoms our under attack (without evidence) by outside sources, but I see it more from within.

TT said it plain and simple and so many are taking this out of context. We need people to open their minds up and realize that a revolution IS taking place and either enough people are going to stand up and reclaim our common law heritage or see it disappear for good and become enslaved by the corporate elite who are running the show behind the curtain (the bible states that money is the root of all evil ).

Solution: Truly have governments of the people, by the people, for the people (not corporations – aka: persons, yes persons, look it up in any law dictionary) and create an interest free currency (sovereign dollar?) and stop using the elite’s currency (yes, it’s theirs).

Remember your history people, and for once, let’s not make it repeat itself. This is critical with the technology that is now in place at this time in human history.

“The people can always be brought to the bidding of their leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” ~ Nazi Reich Marshall Hermann Goering, at the Nuremberg War Trials

Good for you Tim for standing up and being true to yourself. More of a fan now than ever before. Your playing in a city with great history, hopefully the majority remembers that history and doesn’t conform – and supports you all the way.